What happened to my crown?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As I've said several times, there should have been MUCH more publicity about how to bid, there should have been announcements throughout the day saying what the current highest bid was, to encourage more bids, and the final bids should have been live on the final show.

The suspicion is that there was so little publicity to keep the bids low so that an insider could buy it, who would also know how the bidding was going, unlike their other customers.

I don't know if lack of publicity was to keep the bids low on the crown, I personally think publicity in general for the whole event was poor.
If you think about it certain people were even unaware what time the event was due to start, as it had been put forward to 6pm this year.
Though I think this is a continued fault of QVC it appears at times certain presenters are unaware of things if it's not a day they are due to be on, or have not been involved in a meeting.
Much a case I'll turn up do my shift then go home, if it's not a show I'm doing then I'm not interested to promote another presenters hour.
I guess that's why they have Will to give information on stuff, but he only appears in the Morning Show and only refers to Alison Beauty Fix/information web site/social network based.

stratobuddy I dont want a break from the topic, you have every right to ask what the winninb bid was so we can all know how much he great item raised for the wonderful cause of Breast Cancer care. All other auctions were given audible updates, presenetrs saying who was on the phone for say the lola rose experience and who it was and how much it was at. No mention of the bidding for the crown. I too noticed the £1,000 marker but for some reason it stuck at 1000 with no mention of it, almost like that this auction was not 'active'. I cannot understand why qvc wont reveal the winning bid for the crown. Maybe it is because the winning or should I say the maximum bid was a doation of £1,000 by an individual at QVC who wanted the crown.

stratobuddy I dont want a break from the topic, you have every right to ask what the winninb bid was so we can all know how much he great item raised for the wonderful cause of Breast Cancer care. All other auctions were given audible updates, presenetrs saying who was on the phone for say the lola rose experience and who it was and how much it was at. No mention of the bidding for the crown. I too noticed the £1,000 marker but for some reason it stuck at 1000 with no mention of it, almost like that this auction was not 'active'. I cannot understand why qvc wont reveal the winning bid for the crown. Maybe it is because the winning or should I say the maximum bid was a doation of £1,000 by an individual at QVC who wanted the crown.

Maybe (no doubt due to their cr*ppy new website & recent emailing problems!) the auction never took place at all in the end, or was pulled when it became obvious that either email bids were not getting through, or that bidding was clearly not going to reach anything like the amount they were hoping for?

Either way, at the end of the day, until it is actually sold to somebody, the item belongs to QVC & is theirs to dispose of as they wish, before or during an auction & to accept any offer on it, by whomsoever they choose!

p.s. Strato - the entire crown weighs 1.5kg, it's not 1.5kg of silver & I still think it was a ridiculously inflated value that QVC placed upon it....maybe it backfired on them & nobody bid on it at all! Have you checked eBay recently though....just in case? LOL

I strongly disagree. If the item has not been 'sold' then qvc shoukd say so, whats the secret. My gut feeling is that it was indeed auctioned and sold to a member of qvc staff for the 'capped' donation of £1,000 this would seem to make sense as in the 'background' we could see the crown on the board as being bid on at £1,000 no telephone bidders were mentioned, as for the other auctions.

I think you have to be very very careful before anyone goes suggesting it was sold to a member of staff for a
fixed sum. Firstly QVC donate to Breast Cancer every year, and i can't see everyone there agreeing to something
dodgy about the crown. I think like Kitten said, e mails didn't get through and they probably weren't ever ever
going to get £10,000 in this recession. Even the donations were down this year. Secondly saying it was sold to
a member of staff could result in being taken to court for deformation of character, and being sued. QVC wouldn't
do something that wasn't honest and above board , as they are in the public eye, and it could close them down if
they were found to be doing something dodgy. Which i don't don't think they have

Surely there's someone on here who chats to Julia or Catherine on twitter perhaps they should just inquire about the crown.
I'm sure just a reassuring, honest answer from one of them would put the matter to rest, even if it was just to admit they were shocked at the lack of bids on the evening.

Hell, I never realised we, I could be sued for specualing. I best keep my 'thoughts' to myself, however that wont stop me thinking. Strato asked how much the crown raised, either qvc should say it was not auctioned or disclose the amount, thats all we are saying

Hell, I never realised we, I could be sued for specualing. I best keep my 'thoughts' to myself, however that wont stop me thinking. Strato asked how much the crown raised, either qvc should say it was not auctioned or disclose the amount, thats all we are saying
Not you, but certain people have mentioned names of people who might have bought the crown, thats not treading
lightly, and if as we all suspect that QVC look at this forum, i can see they might have their lawyers check whats
being said IMO

I did suggest that just did not expect qvc to have their own perry masons working undercover. I wont add anything to this thread anymore. I dont think qvc need anyone fighting there corner. The crown seems like a thorny issue, thats all, strato should have got an answer. If he had, there would have been no idle speculation

I'm no perry mason undercover, and im not fighting their corner, just trying to be sensible. And you can post as much as you like, its a forum, its for us
all to say what we think

Someone on twitter could tweet Will after Alison Beauty Fix show, when they are answering questions.

Someone on twitter could tweet Will after Alison Beauty Fix show, when they are answering questions.

I think they'll ignore one about crowns though!! May be worth a try though, he he!!!

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Me and Tristar are sorted, :up: but i wish someone would sort out the blooming crown question

I'm no perry mason undercover, and im not fighting their corner, just trying to be sensible. And you can post as much as you like, its a forum, its for us
all to say what we think

Thanks very much, I will then........personally, I think the real one is garish & fugly, so the 'replica' (I use the word loosely! lol), with it's CZ stones & bit of faux fur glued on the bottom is beyond naff & I can't really imagine why anybody in full possession of all their marbles would want the bl**dy thing in the first place, however......

......I reckon, personally, as I've said before, that they decided to either not run, or pull, the auction; maybe they somehow had a load of joke bids or something, who knows? If anybody really is desperate to know how much it went for & if the auction really did run to the end, maybe contact the dreaded Daily Mail, who ran a story on it back in May or something.........they might be able to a) find out or, failing that, b) just make something up that sounds vaguely plausible......?

The whole thing is a bit odd - I expected them to be going on ad nauseum about how a jeweller would not be able to distinguish your crown from the real thing, how it had j-backing to make it nice & comfy when plonked on one's head, how you could 'dress it up/dress it down', 'put it with a little shoe/sceptre/ermine trimmed robe' & of course, how this was without any doubt or question, the ultimate 'made especially for QVC' item, that you could absolutely not get anywhere else.......but not a peep!

I doubt however, having made such a stupid fuss over the damned thing initially & got its picture plastered all over several newspapers etc. that QVC would then give in to the excited squeaking demands of a presenter (or anybody else!) & let them have it cheap on a whim, that has neither logic nor benefit to anybody except for one person!

:dull: :grin:

In reply to PJ - - - - - - >

That's the whole point of my anger. It was supposed to be an AUCTION to raise as much as possible for charity. The £10K value is quite realistic IMO. If there had been enough publicity about the auction and how to bid, with a reasonable period to do so eg all week, it would have sold for much more than £1000 (I KNOW this because I would have bid myself).

If it was just sold to an insider on a nudge, nudge, wink, wink basis that is probably illegal.

BTW they have auctions for children in need of unique items eg dinner with a celebrity. These items go for huge amounts of money, much more than the actual value of the goods.

If it did go to a presenter I suspect it might have been done on behalf of QVC as a sort of hedging their bets bid to ensure that a) that it sold and b) sold for at least £1,000 because QVC wouldn't have wanted to lose face because it was part of their charity fund raising !

Had Q made a statement along the lines that the reserve hadn't been met so Q had made an equivalent donation to BCC and kept the replica crown to display for visitors to their new studios to view then no one would have said much more about it.

Now we're curious because they've said nothing.

Jude xx

But if bidding was slow what was to stop them saying 'bidding's up to £800 now , keep bidding' etc and actually encouraging people to raise a far greater amount. From what I'm reading here it sounds as if it all went quiet for some strange reason.

That's what Capital Radio do when they have their 'Help a London Child' auctions

I say keep the thread alive until we know as it's intriguing

Last edited:
I bet they just expected everyone to forget about it. Not to be mentioned again. If it was all above board surely they would have been able to answer questions about it straight away, not keep everyone speculating.

Latest posts

Back