What if...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It just occurred to me also to say that if people put, for example, a TSV item on cheque hold and then let the time lapse without paying for it (also, if they ring up and cancel a few days later, to be fair) it means that an item that I may have wanted and was willing to pay for immediately does indeed go back on sale but at a higher price - I've missed out on a cheaper price through to others being able to hold off and decide later.

I wonder whether QVC should just have done with it and cancel the cheque hold service? As I said, you can't "hold" things in a shop nor, to be fair, on any other on-line shopping site and change your mind later - eBay are very strict about this after you've won an auction item, Amazon needs immediate payment, asos, johnlewis.com (great site) etc etc.

If there are people who don't have a card and can only pay by cheques then it would be a shame for them if the facility was withdrawn. I guess it's also useful if there's something you want and you are a bit short of money as it's nearly pay day.

I think this thread is getting a bit holier than thou in parts. I see nothing nothing wrong in sending goods back; not half used pots of pro collagen, that seems greedy and wrong, but jewellery that you've changed your mind about, why not? In everyday life we do this, things don't suit and we return them.

Shops expect this to an extent, and I can't remember the last time a sales assistant was funny about me returning anything. Obviously, if anyone is returning 8 out of 10 things they buy then this is a problem, or ordering stuff and saying they'll pay by cheque and then don't, this is also a problem. I think it's easy to get into bad habits, and to an extent QVC condone and encourage this. Then get upset if it goes too far.

No-one's perfect, we're all shoppers on this forum after all.

I have done that put on Paid By Cheque when I know I am short and it gives extra time. The problem is when people start putting loads of stuff on cheque pay and then don't send the cheque and just leave it to drop off. This is what has happened with the OP.

Trouble so many shops won't take cheques now and how many online stores do?

Bet the answer is very very very low.

IW stopped taking cheques years ago and far as I know none of the other telly shopping channels do.

hi, I ordered say 10 items and paid for 3. since april they have not allocated the stock to my account so noone's other chance of getting the stock was hurt so I do not see why I cannot be allowed to buy.

hi, I ordered say 10 items and paid for 3. since april they have not allocated the stock to my account so noone's other chance of getting the stock was hurt so I do not see why I cannot be allowed to buy.

Why?? Why do you order if you don't intend to pay??

If a local store had a special offer just for one day and you went in and said "I think I might like that, will you hold on to it for 10 days for me but if I don't come back to you then just sell it to someone else" what would the answer be?

I will hold my hands up and say that I have ordered on cheque payment and cancelled but only once and within a couple of days, QVC were fine about it.

Last edited:
no usually the 10 or so days elapse. I guess then I will never be allowed to shop with qvc again then.

Out of Common Sense and manners maybe, I have always contacted QVC if Items are on Cheque Hold and I found I didn't want them. I have never had a problem and have always had a polite/friendly response.
It is the lack of response from you that seems to have brought this on.

they do not allocate to my account finace and customer services told me they did not allocate (were they lying?). I did intend to pay. it was max of 10 items blimey you would think I had committed some crime here! I did not order hundreds of items!

hi, I ordered say 10 items and paid for 3.

I know it's a bit of a bummer that you can't order anything further but the premise is very simple, it's a bit like eBay, i.e. 'you bid, you pay'!
Once you've actually confirmed your purchase via a cheque payment, you've committed yourself to buying it!
They have to give some time for cheque payments to arrive obviously but you've still bought it & if you then basically refuse to pay.......?

I should add, that under Distance Selling Regulations, customers have a certain amount of time in which to change their mind about a purchase! This would involve letting them know by telephone, sometimes in writing, that you no longer require the item in question!
Simply letting the time tick by & not sending the cheque just makes you a non-payer!

Even with the DSRs the bottom line is, QVC is first & foremost a business & like any other business, they do not have to deal with you as a customer if they do not want to & unfortunately, repeated non-payment for items makes you a less than ideal customer from their point of view & without the 'threat' of account suspension/closure, everybody would be merrily abusing the system willy-nilly!

You only ordered say 10 items and paid for 3. That is like 75% hanging around with QVC thinking you where sending the cheque.

You also mentioned April. So before that what happened? Last year for instance.

QVC look back at your track record and usually you get the Letter. But you have managed to get banned until further notice at the moment. That is BIG!!!

You no longer buy from QVC who have the right to decide if they want you as a customer. QVC don't want you then you move on and shop in the high street.

Basic misunderstanding

Hi :hi:,
I have read this thread with interest and I think the basic misconception about cheque hold is that it is a way of delaying a decision about whether to buy. Really, it is a purchase like any other and the "hold" part refers to the fact that QVC will hold your item for you until your cheque arrives and clears. Once ordered, the item is allocated to you and held in anticipation of your cheque arriving and clearing. That's where the 10 days comes in - it takes that long for the funds to be cleared.

Personally, I think the term "cheque hold" is misleading and I am not sure whether the term is used by the presenters or whether it has become common parlance because of the way some customers use it to delay payment for whatever reason. Also, I wouldn't want to wait the extra delivery time necessary if paying by cheque - the goods take long enough to arrive as it is when paying by C/C or D/C.

Unfortunately, CS don't always get their facts right - how could goods be guaranteed to be available by the time your cheque arrives if they weren't taken off sale at the point of ordering? Can you imagine the furore there would be if people bought something and sent a cheque off straight away, only to find QVC had sold out of stock before the cheque arrived! It makes no sense.

I also think that if they were going to cancel a membership, they would have done so, not waited a fortnight. Maybe they are hoping the threat will make a difference to the way the account is conducted in future! However, I have been wrong many times before and it's only my opinion.

:talking::talking::talking:

I think some are being a little unkind to you here igelkott. Maybe you've put one too many items on cheque hold. I guess you'll now be more careful. I would hate to be struck off QVC's customer base, as they do sell some great products. The high street doesn't always compare.

I hope you remain a QVC customer. It's not as if you've sent loads back. As a matter of interest do some of you have shares in QVC, then?

No shares in QVC.

I used to pay by cheque as I already said. I always got my order as the cheque was posted. I have never actually put something on cheque and not paid for it, either by dc or sending the cheque.

Violet, no the OP did not return, but in a way it was worse. Not even contacting QVC and explaining or simply saying please remove these items from my order. Ten products sitting waiting for her cheque and only buy three. That is a big amount. If she/he had phoned up and cancelled the items this whole situation would not have happened.

As has already been said in this thread, like going to a shop asking for stuff to be put aside for you and then just not going back. Meanwhile someone comes in with money in their pocket and wants to buy said item. They can't and shop has lost a sale and other customer cannot get what they want.

On another of the boards Gemstv a lady was banned from buying. She did not even hear about this until she phoned up to place an order. Now that is very bad CS.

In these tough times you don't go out on spending sprees without thinking carefully if you can afford it. Ten items, heck I don't think I have bought ten things from QVC in a year. Unfortunately the OP has learnt a lesson, a hard one. Think before you put items in your cart, can you really afford them in the first place.

I think some are being a little unkind to you here igelkott. Maybe you've put one too many items on cheque hold. I guess you'll now be more careful. I would hate to be struck off QVC's customer base, as they do sell some great products. The high street doesn't always compare.

I hope you remain a QVC customer. It's not as if you've sent loads back. As a matter of interest do some of you have shares in QVC, then?

I've read the thread, and I think that the other posts are being HONEST with igelkott. She/he asked the question after all, and frankly I'm appalled that someone can order something without really being interested in paying for the item. OK maybe once or twice at most (and even then, I think the onus should be on the customer to at least contact QVC to say that they've changed their mind) but 7 out of 10 since April? I don't think that's acceptable at all, and IMO QVC are quite within their rights to take action. If people continue to use 'cheque-hold' in this way, then QVC are likely to stop taking cheques and I for one wouldn't blame them. I can't understand either why some people haven't got a card with their account. I mean, very few places take cheques these days so it must make life very difficult.

Still think you're being tough. QVC make pots of money; as an American company I would think they're probably quite cut throat, especially to their suppliers.

People make mistakes, no-one's perfect. Putting goods on cheque hold is not the crime of the century. Sending used goods back costs them much more.

Give her a break.

no usually the 10 or so days elapse. I guess then I will never be allowed to shop with qvc again then.

When you go to jail you get out eventually and can get on with it, even bankrupts can trade again after a few years, seems a little unfair that you should be banned, maybe a yellow card but not a sending off::thinking2:

Still think you're being tough. QVC make pots of money; as an American company I would think they're probably quite cut throat, especially to their suppliers.

People make mistakes, no-one's perfect. Putting goods on cheque hold is not the crime of the century. Sending used goods back costs them much more.

Give her a break.

Yeah, one or two mistakes - OK. After that, most people learn from their mistakes. A few others - obviously not!

Latest posts

Back