What if...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Still think you're being tough. QVC make pots of money; as an American company I would think they're probably quite cut throat, especially to their suppliers.

People make mistakes, no-one's perfect. Putting goods on cheque hold is not the crime of the century. Sending used goods back costs them much more.

Give her a break.

All business are cut throat, as they have to ensure a profit, look at Tesco and the way they treat their suppliers, so it is not just American companies. QVC is also not a charity, no store would put up with customers doing this. Mail order companies also ban you from using them if your return rate is too big, or you order and your cheque bounces to often (my friend worked for Freemans for a while)

As for people make mistakes, sure,, people do.But a mistake is a singluar thing not a frequent event. And can we just remember that we porbably did not get the whole story anyway. I do not think anyone is being unkind, they are just stating the facts ( as we know them), and not whitewashing the issue.
I wonder how you would feel if you were selling on ebay maybe and someone bought from you and then not paid you?

QVC terms and conditions

Below is an extract from Qs terms and conditions

Maybe the presenters should be more honest and refer to this when quoting the 30 day money back return policy, I wonder how trading standard would view this policy.:confused2::confused2:

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

I genuinely don't know why people are getting so touchy about this.

I'm sure QVC appreciate your concern. It's good to be so loyal but they're only a shopping channel. It's not a priviledge to be a member. They make pots of money from all their customers, as well as ripping them off as much as they can, I'm sure.

I genuinely don't know why people are getting so touchy about this.

I'm sure QVC appreciate your concern. It's good to be so loyal but they're only a shopping channel. It's not a priviledge to be a member. They make pots of money from all their customers, as well as ripping them off as much as they can, I'm sure.

It's not a case of being loyal to QVC, it's simply understanding their reasons for bumping the OP! Any business these days, has to maximise their returns and if they have allocated goods to customers that end up languishing in their warehouse, it makes no financial sense. If you had a business would you sort out the problem or be quite happy to let customers continue blocking sales? It seems to me that any business with an iota of sense would try to resolve the problem. I do however think that they may have gone about it in rather a heavy-handed way.

This thread has generated a lot of opinions and I can understand why.

One of my principal concerns is that the OP shows little regret and almost no insight into the behaviour that has got him/her into trouble in the first place - a case of "what? what did I do? I didn't do anything wrong", which is a bit bizarre to say the least.

There is nothing wrong with a company needing to make profits, we either live in a capitalist democracy or we don't!

But the eBay analogy is strong - you will get poor feedback and will eventually be barred from purchasing anything...if you don't pay.

I think some are being a little unkind to you here igelkott. Maybe you've put one too many items on cheque hold. I guess you'll now be more careful. I would hate to be struck off QVC's customer base, as they do sell some great products. The high street doesn't always compare.

I hope you remain a QVC customer. It's not as if you've sent loads back. As a matter of interest do some of you have shares in QVC, then?

It's not cheque hold though it's cheque payment, you are ordering and saying you will pay by cheque. If you contact them and cancel they seem ok about it but just letting it lapse isn't reasonable.

We all moan about QVC but in this case I don't think there's a valid reason to complain about them.

Still think you're being tough. QVC make pots of money; as an American company I would think they're probably quite cut throat, especially to their suppliers.

People make mistakes, no-one's perfect. Putting goods on cheque hold is not the crime of the century. Sending used goods back costs them much more.

Give her a break.

If eveyone ordered stuff my cheque then just didn't bother to pay they would make much less money.

When QVC show goods on television or their website legally it's an invitation to treat, we then offer to buy these goods and QVC can accept or reject our offer. It's up to them how they make their decision whether it's based on returns, not sending cheques or whatever.

I understand what you're saying Tigers Eye, but when using Ebay you're promising to pay one person - the seller. With QVC it's a company, as such one individual is not out of pocket and having to re-list the item.

I think Igelkott has probably picked up a bad habit, rather than wilfully try to withold goods from other customers who may genuinely want to purchase them.

Bad habits apply to us all from time to time. I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for shopping channels, as previous posters have said before they are very quick to be our friend when they want to be, and obviously chuck out those that don't conform.

It's all about the profit.

Violet, so to you its all about sticking to the man or QVC they don't count they are a company?

But what about the people who work for QVC are they not individuals who if people did what the OP did on a regular basis lose their jobs. QVC American actually paid off a large amount of people earlier this year. Times are tough they don't sell then people get let go. How do you know if QVC UK has let people go?

Its not bad habits I believe with the OP, I am thinking more a shopping addiction. They could not offically afford all they ordered but kept doing it anyway. And even though their account is suspended at the moment still are wanting to shop with QVC. Anyone of us on st.com would outraged and shout never shopping with QVC again after what they did. No the OP is still wanting to order.

I understand what you're saying Tigers Eye, but when using Ebay you're promising to pay one person - the seller. With QVC it's a company, as such one individual is not out of pocket and having to re-list the item. QUOTE]

If every QVC customer had that attitude, the company would be in real trouble!

It's not a case of being loyal to QVC, it's simply understanding their reasons for bumping the OP! Any business these days, has to maximise their returns and if they have allocated goods to customers that end up languishing in their warehouse, it makes no financial sense. If you had a business would you sort out the problem or be quite happy to let customers continue blocking sales? It seems to me that any business with an iota of sense would try to resolve the problem. I do however think that they may have gone about it in rather a heavy-handed way.

Totally agree PP. Iglekott, if you geniunely are worried that your QVC account is going to be closed and you don't want it to be, test it out, why not treat yourself to a small something and pay for it straight away...Hopefully you'll can afford to do this. Just a thought. I don't think I'd bother setting up an account with a friend or family member, too much hassle, and could cause them problems too. Have you tried registering a new account on a different computer? I'm sure they wouldn't be able to trace you on your card details only, register a different card maybe.

I do think that they allocate stock as I've put something on cheque reserve, when I've really wanted something, but I haven't been paid yet, the goods have sold out on air, but I've still received them after paying.

I understand what you're saying Tigers Eye, but when using Ebay you're promising to pay one person - the seller. With QVC it's a company, as such one individual is not out of pocket and having to re-list the item.

If you extend that logic then you could say that it would be wrong to pinch something from a small local shop as the owner would be out of pocket but it would be ok to go shoplifting in Tesco as they are a company rather than an individual.

This is an interesting thread.

When you pay for something from QVC by cheque, wether it be 1 item or 15 items, you get an order number and they HOLD that/those items for YOU until they recieve YOUR cheque.
If they did not hold those items for you and then recieved the cheque and only sent out 3 items and said the rest where on waitlist or they sold out and not to be re-ordered you would be mighty pi**ed off.
These items could, in the meantime, have been sent to other customers.

I will say this, QVC are only a handful of sellers who still except payment by cheque, this will stop if people continue to act in this way and like usual a small minority will spoil it for the rest.

QVC are only protecting themselves.

I hope for your sake Iglekott that your account is ok and you see yourself clear to making the right and proper decisions when it comes to ordering items through cheque hold.

I think I'll end my contribution to this thread here as I don't want to annoy anyone else.

With me, it's not a case of going against QVC, it's just that I feel that QVC don't warrant loyalty, they are unscrupulous in their pursuit of profit. Any business needs profit, whether it be M&S or next, or QVC, it just amazes me that QVC inspires such strong opinions.

They wilfully push the nicey, nicey I'm our friend image, which seems to work. How dare you time after time say you'll pay for goods and then don't. The point is you don't actually receive goods unless you've paid for them. You're not receiving them under false pretences.

I just feel loyalty to QVC is misplaced. Every move they make is carefuly orchestrated to make us buy, and keep on buying.

Take a step back, and I think it becomes clearer. Don't get me wrong, I do buy from them and would recommend their beauty products very highly. QVC are very efficient, and I have no complaints about their service.

I simply feel they are disingenuous; by their very nature they must be insincere. They want our money, and in these difficult times, they have to work harder and harder to get it.

Cheque holds, letters .......All I'm saying they continually "big it up" and then drop you like a lead balloon if you don't play ball.

I think I'll end my contribution to this thread here as I don't want to annoy anyone else.

With me, it's not a case of going against QVC, it's just that I feel that QVC don't warrant loyalty, they are unscrupulous in their pursuit of profit. Any business needs profit, whether it be M&S or next, or QVC, it just amazes me that QVC inspires such strong opinions.

They wilfully push the nicey, nicey I'm our friend image, which seems to work. How dare you time after time say you'll pay for goods and then don't. The point is you don't actually receive goods unless you've paid for them. You're not receiving them under false pretences.

I just feel loyalty to QVC is misplaced. Every move they make is carefuly orchestrated to make us buy, and keep on buying.

Take a step back, and I think it becomes clearer. Don't get me wrong, I do buy from them and would recommend their beauty products very highly. QVC are very efficient, and I have no complaints about their service.

I simply feel they are disingenuous; by their very nature they must be insincere. They want our money, and in these difficult times, they have to work harder and harder to get it.

Cheque holds, letters .......All I'm saying they continually "big it up" and then drop you like a lead balloon if you don't play ball.

Violet, the 'letter' for returning more than 50% of items ordered and payed for is completely different to ordering something on the promise of sending a cheque (these items could have been sent to another customer, especially if it then went onto waitlist).

You have stated your opinions and stood by them, I doubt anyone is annoyed by them.

With me, it's not a case of going against QVC, it's just that I feel that QVC don't warrant loyalty...

Personally, I'm not remotely 'loyal' to QVC, in fact I think they absolutely stink on a number of points! I feel the same way about eBay & PayPal & frequently think they stink too but I abide by their requirements of me as a customer in my dealings with them as the bottom line is.....their playground, their rules!

Its not bad habits I believe with the OP, I am thinking more a shopping addiction. They could not offically afford all they ordered but kept doing it anyway. And even though their account is suspended at the moment still are wanting to shop with QVC. Anyone of us on st.com would outraged and shout never shopping with QVC again after what they did. No the OP is still wanting to order.

This is exactly what crossed my mind when I first read the thread, namely that the OP suffered from some sort of 'shopping addiction' and that the question in a way was a cry for help. It's just not 'normal' behaviour to place an order for many items with no intention of paying for a high percentage of them. I don't care who the company/individual concerned is, there's something not quite right with such behaviour. As another poster remarked, I wonder if we've heard the full story!!

As Yaz said violet, I'm sure no-one is annoyed by what you say (I'm certainly not!). We all have opinions and you are perfectly entitled to yours. :sun:

As Yaz said violet, I'm sure no-one is annoyed by what you say (I'm certainly not!). We all have opinions and you are perfectly entitled to yours. :sun:

Ditto! :bear:

*sorry, got a bit distracted by new 'bear' smilie & just had to use him.....! lol*

Absolutely, I might not agree with your viewpiont violet, but you are entitled to your opinion

Latest posts

Back