Why shop with Q?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I ask this because I've just checked out the community section on their FB page and a lady is complaining that she'd ordered 7 items from the same show and they were sent out in 7 separate packages and incurred 7 separate P&P charges. She complained that this is bad for the environment as it is for her purse. I agree, however she knew this upfront, but was still prepared to pay the cost and receive 7 separate plastic bags. I'm presuming that this was a fashion hour, as the bags in the picture looked extremely flat, and would presume that the items she'd ordered came from the same supplier - To me this is daylight robbery on Q's part, and even if I really loved and wanted the items, this would stop me in my tracks immediately. I stopped shopping with Q over a year ago, not because I'd had any particular problem myself, but through seeing the problems other customers had been having. I recently caved and I bought the Bell and Howell fan, but only because QVC was literally the only place I could get it from, the price was good and I have a £5 voucher to use. I watch regularly because I find it relaxing and entertaining and it gives me ideas. There's been a couple of things I've love to have, but I refuse to pay the price they're asking and will shop around until I've found a better deal elsewhere (not difficult) or find something similar elsewhere.
So I'm interested to know what makes people want to shop with Q time and time again, some of the Qurio ladies are obviously addicted to shopping full stop - There's the brand loyal eg Lola Rose/Kipling addicts but for most of them it seems that it doesn't matter what it is, they'll buy it and it's actually QVC they're addicted to.
I will only shop with Q if I really really want the item, the price is right and I really cannot buy it anywhere else.
QVC is being kept alive by the addicts and not the customer who buys the odd thing here and there.
Is there anything that will persuade them to change their pre-historic/frankly ridiculous ways? Q replied to the lady's FB complaint "We are sorry you are disappointed, but basically this is how it is. Kindly pointing out that had she ordered 7 identical items, she'd have got half price p&p on 3 of them! That is beyond ridiculous and so ungenerous, at the very least make P&P on the second item free. Even if they capped it at a fiver (which is more than most places charge) it would be something!

I ask this because I've just checked out the community section on their FB page and a lady is complaining that she'd ordered 7 items from the same show and they were sent out in 7 separate packages and incurred 7 separate P&P charges. She complained that this is bad for the environment as it is for her purse. I agree, however she knew this upfront, but was still prepared to pay the cost and receive 7 separate plastic bags. I'm presuming that this was a fashion hour, as the bags in the picture looked extremely flat, and would presume that the items she'd ordered came from the same supplier - To me this is daylight robbery on Q's part, and even if I really loved and wanted the items, this would stop me in my tracks immediately. I stopped shopping with Q over a year ago, not because I'd had any particular problem myself, but through seeing the problems other customers had been having. I recently caved and I bought the Bell and Howell fan, but only because QVC was literally the only place I could get it from, the price was good and I have a £5 voucher to use. I watch regularly because I find it relaxing and entertaining and it gives me ideas. There's been a couple of things I've love to have, but I refuse to pay the price they're asking and will shop around until I've found a better deal elsewhere (not difficult) or find something similar elsewhere.
So I'm interested to know what makes people want to shop with Q time and time again, some of the Qurio ladies are obviously addicted to shopping full stop - There's the brand loyal eg Lola Rose/Kipling addicts but for most of them it seems that it doesn't matter what it is, they'll buy it and it's actually QVC they're addicted to.
I will only shop with Q if I really really want the item, the price is right and I really cannot buy it anywhere else.
QVC is being kept alive by the addicts and not the customer who buys the odd thing here and there.
Is there anything that will persuade them to change their pre-historic/frankly ridiculous ways? Q replied to the lady's FB complaint "We are sorry you are disappointed, but basically this is how it is. Kindly pointing out that had she ordered 7 identical items, she'd have got half price p&p on 3 of them! That is beyond ridiculous and so ungenerous, at the very least make P&P on the second item free. Even if they capped it at a fiver (which is more than most places charge) it would be something!
They are SO outdated in their practices as you say.

My shopping with them has withered away as brands I loved have left. With my very first purchase being Birkenstocks to try them out. I loved them and looked around, but Q had better prices and prettier styles at the time. My Birks puchases went into double figures quite quickly. The Birks are the high volume purchases I've never regretted. Same with my Cooks Essentials pans and my Ninja Pro.
The less said about the clothes the better until my Denim & Co jackets and maxi dresses and more recent Carole Hochman zipped robes.
If Q has something I cannot get elsewhere that meets a real need, at a good price I will shop. But it's every few months now, not several times a month or even week.
Beauty I used to be addicted to, but L'Occitane is now off the agenda and they don't stock Decleor any more. I did buy the Elemis Serenity balm, and dipped my toes into Molton Brown. I have found several brands sold on the high street which I am happy with.
Q tv is now for entertainment and ideas... and escape from dreadful news the media plays up to the hilt.
That's more of a confession than I originally intended 😁

Q is a want not a need. They have nothing I either want or need. My weakness was jewellery which stopped when all the decent brands and unusual stuff was dropped. I wear them all the time so even with the expensive items I have had my money’s worth.

I did have quite a few Tig bag and perhaps 2 Kipling as well as a couple of Travelon bags, but I still use them so that’s ok.

Thankfully I was never into gloop or smelly wax, so apart from the odd bit of Eek in clearance I don’t bother with Q.

I agree that some people are just addicted to QVC. I’ve never understood the posts on Facebook asking them to stock a particular brand. If you know you like something then just buy it elsewhere.

As for the lady buying 7 items, she knew what she was doing, but still did it. If she had posted that there were 7 items she wanted to buy, but she didn’t buy them due to the ridiculous P & P then maybe QVC might listen.

I do think that watching on screen and listening to all the spiel reaches the parts that normal shopping, both bricks and mortar and online fail to reach. We go out shopping or browse the internet knowing exactly what we're looking for, and if we find it, we buy it. If the search proves fruitless, then it'll either be put on the backburner, or forgotten. There's something about someone telling you, and showing you how wonderful something is, that pulls that hidden trigger. I remember one of those shopping trips and my eye was caught by a crowd of people gathered in BHS, I was intrigued. A woman was demonstrating some cosmetics. It wasn't a brand I'd ever heard of (Victoria Jackson) Make up artist to the stars in the USA, this is an exclusive uk pre-launch. I walked away from the demo £30 lighter with a bag containing at least "£200" worth of cosmetics. To be fair the make up wasn't awful, but it most certainly wasn't great. I didn't need any of it and had I seen it on the shelf in Boots or Superdrug, I very much doubt whether I'd have made a purchase. Similarly I bought an "amazing" breadknife from a demo inside Debenhams - It was okay, but I didn't need it and funnily enough, not once did I ever slice an aluminium can in half with it!
I'm wise to it all now thankfully- but money is very easy to part with, when there's a bit of persuasion. I totally appreciate that Q have a lot of people to pay in order to bring the shows to us, so I don't expect them to be as competitive as some of the high street stores, but they shouldn't be ripping people off!

I think most of the times QVC are still cheaper than other outlets after the outward postage costs. Also QVC offer you the chance to wear something, wash something for 60 days. Then you can return at your cost and get a refund of the purchase price. I don't particularly think its a good selling model.

QVC dont like us returning items. Nobody on the high street or online gives you as much irritation and faff to do return's. I dont want to wear something for 60 days then return it and get a threatening letter. I want free postage and free returns and no 60 days to decide wether I want something or not.

I think most of the times QVC are still cheaper than other outlets after the outward postage costs. Also QVC offer you the chance to wear something, wash something for 60 days. Then you can return at your cost and get a refund of the purchase price. I don't particularly think its a good selling model.

QVC dont like us returning items. Nobody on the high street or online gives you as much irritation and faff to do return's. I dont want to wear something for 60 days then return it and get a threatening letter. I want free postage and free returns and no 60 days to decide wether I want something or not.
Me neither. Don't get me wrong it must be great in some circumstances. Let's say you've splashed out on an expensive skincare range to find you're allergic to it, or simply getting no visible results, then if you can claw some of your money back - result! What I don't like is the idea of being able to send items of clothing back, wear it wash it, make it second hand. Fgs if you're not sure - send it straight back unworn! I've said this time and time again, send out free samples to customers. Tili bags were a good idea but they're getting pricier and pricier and containing weird stuff like plastic face masks. The 60 day mbg is contributing factor in Q's crazy pricing for certain - I think it needs to go. I'm sure people would prefer better prices and terms in general.

If you need to try something which, for you, represents a large outlay of cash Q's model is great. Particularly if it's an item which is impossible to reurn unless it's faulty. You can try it out and see if it works for you.
With many products, it's a gamble. Particularly clothing, where the sizing is all over the place!

I saw that post in Facebook, and thought nothing would induce me to order 7 items from qvc….
Their whole shopping model is so outdated. The postage prices are sheer robbery, and their returns are a joke… I would never order something just to try because I can’t be doing with the dreadful returns setup. I increasingly find there is very little I would consider buying from QVC, and do agree that shopping adicts are keeping the show going!
I used to love Kipling bags, but they are now far too expensive and the garish prints are awful. Plus the styles leave a lot to be desired… Molton Brown occasionally does a brilliant set, like the current box of 4 shower gels, but theor TSV’s are repetitive and a bit boring. Ultrasun lasts forever so only buy that every couple of years. They don’t seem to do Bare Minerals anymore…. and Liz Earle‘s fiddling with the staples has put a stop to any purchases from them. All that’s left is Elemis, the Christmas TSV was superb, but that’s really about it! Sadly, the quality value and convenience have mostly disappeared….

I couldn't agree more. Everything I have ever been vaguely interested in I can source direct from the brand's website, often for less and usually with free, or cheaper p&p. I've just ordered an item from Boden and a couple of things from Alice Collins - All free p&p and free returns.
I wonder if it's something to do with a need for community? Qurio has given us an interesting look into how devoted some are to particular presenters or BAs.
I think they're missing a trick, because if they came into line with the big high street players with regard to p&p and started stocking brands which people actually want, rather than the endlessly dowdy RL stuff and the eye wateringly expensive MW, surely they'd tempt a whole lot more of us to buy from them and the sheer volume of sales would make up for losing the crazy p&p situation.

I'm wise to it all now thankfully- but money is very easy to part with, when there's a bit of persuasion. I totally appreciate that Q have a lot of people to pay in order to bring the shows to us, so I don't expect them to be as competitive as some of the high street stores, but they shouldn't be ripping people off!
QVC will have costs associated with producing the shows, but they don’t have rent, rates and utilities for high street shops. Whilst they will have to pay warehouse staff I guess those employees will be busy all the time, but sometimes you go in a shop and there are staff who aren’t doing anything. There’s also this wonderful buying power they tell us about 😂. I agree they shouldn’t rip people off, but some people, like the lady who ordered 7 items, let them do just that.

I started shopping with QVC 25 years ago when we got Sky. It was totally addictive, and my usual purchases were jewellery. After a while it was beauty which is one of the few things I still purchase from them, usually TSV’s. My husband loved the gardening and tech things but our purchase’s over the past 6 years or so have dropped dramatically. Their jewellery has been almost non existent for some time and I’ve never purchased clothing from them. As a nation our shopping habits have changed with the easy access to online shopping especially Amazon, and it is particularly irksome to pay postage, when you get used to free P&P. I don’t want to pay 4 lots of P&P if I want to buy a 4 items from a beauty range, which could easily be dispatched in the same box for a fraction of the cost. The lady has the same choice as me, she knew the postage for 7 items when she placed her order. I understand also her environmental concerns, and I’m sure this has been addressed before, that it would be difficult logistically to achieve this. Amazon offer to collate multiple orders and deliver on the same day, but you may have to wait for your delivery. Something Q could look into, but then we are all unto next day delivery too……

I watch QVC if there’s a product in which I’m interested and then usually source it elsewhere after reading the reviews on QVC or listening to the spiel. Very occasionally, if it can’t be found elsewhere more cheaply I might buy it from QVC, but invariably by that time I’ve decided it isn’t something that I really need.

Compared to other companies, QVC are positively archaic ….. high P&P, very slow refunds, gremlins on their site etc etc.

The 60 day mbg doesn’t persuade me to buy from them because, if I’ve ever bought clothes or Skechers from them, I know immediately whether or not they are “keepers.” Anything I have returned is winging its way back to them within 24 hours.

I spend next to nothing with them these days. Years ago I used to buy jewellery or the odd beauty tsv but even in its hey day I only ever ordered now and again. Nowadays there would be very little which would even tempt me to watch a full show let alone order something and Q will one day have had its day.

I dont like QVC clothes on the whole. Its obviously a big seller for them with the celebrity endorsements etc. I used to buy most of my clothes, nightwear etc from QVC because I was at the higher end of the plus size range being up to a size 30. Now I am a more regular size I find their clothes specially thier own brand items not of the quality of the High Street street. And dont get me started on the prices.

I spend next to nothing with them these days. Years ago I used to buy jewellery or the odd beauty tsv but even in its hey day I only ever ordered now and again. Nowadays there would be very little which would even tempt me to watch a full show let alone order something and Q will one day have had its day.
I still buy the jewellery in particularly Diamonique.

Latest posts

Back