Yankee Candles TSV 09/09/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just very quickly priced up the votives elsewhere and the very first place I tried was coming in at £38.95 all in, compared to £35.93 all in with QVC. So from just the very first place I looked up that's only a difference of £3.02 and 2 cardboard boxes so not exactly falling over themselves with savings. They should have included a votive holder too considering they have to be burnt in one, bog standard holders can come in at all of a quid.

Votives really do burn down to a shapeless mess. They are shaped with a slightly domed lipped top and then taper to the base (think skinny muffin shaped), unlike pillar candles which are slightly domed, no lip, and same circumference top to bottom. Most candles which are designed to be burned without a container around them are either straight or tapered with a wider base than top.

Burning a votive in anything other than a tightly fitting container will be detrimental to the claimed burntime.

For this reason it has always baffled me when QVC send out votive sets with containers which are not tight-fitting.

Thank you, May that's really useful.
What you say is what I've always thought was the case - which is why I've only ever burned a votive in a tight-fitting glass holder... And it has always baffled/annoyed me too that Yankee does sets of samplers with two attractive but large holders - which completely contradicts what they preach!

I thought pillar/church candles (and tapered dinner candles) burned differently (and didn't end up as little pools of wax!) because of their shape - thanks for explaining it. I hadn't looked at my votives closely enough but you're right, the do indeed look like tall muffins!

I recently bought some cheapo Tesco own-brand votives (60p a pop and I love the aqua blue 'spa' scented one) but because, I think, they aren't domed on top, when I put them in the same snug glass holders, they tunnel really badly!

Votives really do burn down to a shapeless mess. They are shaped with a slightly domed lipped top and then taper to the base (think skinny muffin shaped), unlike pillar candles which are slightly domed, no lip, and same circumference top to bottom. Most candles which are designed to be burned without a container around them are either straight or tapered with a wider base than top.

Burning a votive in anything other than a tightly fitting container will be detrimental to the claimed burntime.

For this reason it has always baffled me when QVC send out votive sets with containers which are not tight-fitting.

On air, they do mention the need to use a close-fitting holder, don't they, but then they'll have a set with a really big holder that's anything but tight-fitting. As you say, baffling.

I am a practical, academic type of girl. What does such a body do, to fill in her ever so spare time? Calculate the % saved, by buying the tsv today, as opposed to the QVC price. I know this will amaze you all - Victor Meldrew moment - but we are being treated to a 17.9% discount, as near as damn it, which would bring the price down to £29.97! My only excuse for this pastime, is that I am on annual leave, and cannot handle the ennui. Thought I would do something productive!

its a moot point regarding savings on the tsv's in paticularly yankee. all they have to do is throw in a tote jute bag, or a box and bang you have a tsv to be proud of

Lovely photos, they look so pretty and atmospheric...
I too love my votives. Especially always have one or two burning when I have a bath etc...

But I'm just wondering how they can burn in anything that isn't a snug fit.
I have only ever burned votives in plain glass yankee holders which into which the votive *just* fits so that turns it into a mini jar in effect. I suppose I could place the whole thing inside one of this style of larger holder which I've done with some gilded leaf pattern hurricane 'tubes' I bought from a Yankee clearance.

Do you just place the votive directly into your large holder and if so does if not just turn into a pool of wax?!

Now I think about it, I do burn pillar candles 'free' just on a plate or stand and they melt well and don't turn into a pile of wax so maybe yankee have been lying to us all along and samplers don't need holders after all?!

Incidentally I bought a pillar candle I liked the colour of from wilko (great dark teal and nice scent). I began burning it in the bath the other day and I was gutted to discover that the colour was simply on the outside and the wax inside was both white and unscented :(

(Excuse the candle waffle!)

Yes Totally loopy Lou, I have placed the votive inside a tightly fitting small holder and then put the whole thing inside the large holder. It just burns all the way down rather than melting into a freeform blob.

They've just said that bag from the previous TSV has lots of uses. Someone apparently has said their cat sleeps in it. My cat wouldn't get his arse in it lol.

New to this everyone but i buy often from QVC and only just realised there was a forum for it all!
I bought the TSV last year on Yankee candles, used them over Christmas and they were great.

When is the next TSV with the wintery scents?

John

Latest posts

Back