Yankee Candles TSV 15/02/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

How long did you say you had been trying and buying Yankees? You have a good knowledge.

Cripes, it must be at least 10 years but knowing my poor memory, probably longer. I do vividly remember my first encounter, one of those independent shops you used to get that stocked all sorts - I instantly fell in love with Cottage Breeze (it burned terribly so my first experience of 'embankmenting') and Red Berry & Cedar and so the obsession was born.

I was single for YEARS, so spent most of my holidays visiting friends in the US and invariably my case weighed an absolute ton on the trip back as it was packed to the gills with various US treasures I'd snapped up at the considerably cheaper US shops (I wonder with the opening of the European factory if we'll get an appropriate reduction in price...ha, yeah right). I then discovered Yankee Doodle and proceeded to stock up - I'd forgotten another favourite of mine, Beach Vacation - subtle coconut, suntan lotion, sand and ozone - ooooh lush. I'll stop there before I get too carried away!

I love the sound of Lavender Vanilla, Cottage Breeze & Sunwashed Linen, thank you for the clear descriptions.
Some of the names give you no clue, what on earth is the smell of a Child's Wish for instance?

I really like clean, fresh smells & true garden flower smells, or green ones. Not really keen on heavy, heady scents or not sure if food ones in a setting that isn't the kitchen. Suppose it's a bit like perfume preferences, I can't take really heavy oriental perfumes.

Well good news as Cottage Breeze is coming back as a special edition in April here in the UK and if you hunt around, you can find Lavender Vanilla, but sadly no sign of Sunwashed Linen :( Yankee used to do a whole range of 'Linen' candles, so much more sophisticated and varied than the current incarnation, Clean Cotton.

I love clean smells as well, especially the 'green' ones - Dune Grass was also another favourite of mine as were Early Sunrise, Stormwatch and Autumn Leaves...ah happy memories, I do love smells :)

Another quick question, if you don't mind please?
I took onboard the tip about putting a little water in in the holder for a votive, do you have to put a little water in the top part of a burner when you use the melts?

No I am sure you shouldn't do that. I think it could spit and the wax could go all over the place.

Another quick question, if you don't mind please?
I took onboard the tip about putting a little water in in the holder for a votive, do you have to put a little water in the top part of a burner when you use the melts?

If you have melt warmer and you want the melts to be easily removed, you could do worse than invest in a silicone cupcake mould. I bought a set in John Lewis. It makes it easier to switch fragrances. It is particularly useful if the dish of the melt warmer isn't a separate piece.

All my YC tips and advice come from the extensive expertise of my fellow forumites! I have tried most of them for myself, bar freezing things - there's never any space in mine, and it needs defrosting!

Where do you live, Frenchie? I'm the opposite, love 2 out of the 3 of the first drop but don't want any of the second drop! I'm sure others feel the same and we could maybe organise a split purchase ;)

I'm west of Southampton Tarketta - which of the first drop are you not so keen on?

A selection of exciting new spring fragrances from Yankee Candle's USA range, including the airy Mediterranean Dreams, sweet Cafe Al Fresco, and refreshing Honey Lavender Gelato. Whether you're a Yankee Candle fan or looking to discover a new love, this gorgeous trio is perfect for creating a relaxing atmosphere for any occasion, from dinner parties to lazy weekends.

American dream - this beautiful set is a must-have if you're always on the hunt for new Yankee Candle fragrances and looking to add to your collection. These sought-after scents are harder to come by on this side of the pond, so make sure you grab them while they're here.

Long-lasting fragrance - these three large jar candles are made from premium quality ingredients with natural essential oils, to help to create distinctive true-to-life scents. Plus they will burn for a combined total time of 450 hours; that's more than 18 whole days' worth of burning while you take a bath, read a book or just lounge in front of the telly.

Scents for next season - select our Auto Delivery option and we'll send you the wonderful USA special floral collection at this price in 90 days.

Total burn time: up to 450 hours

Contains:

1 x Café Al Fresco large jar - warm air outside a bustling outdoor café with sweet scents of cinnamon, coffee, and a dash of caramel
1 x Mediterranean Breeze large jar - feel the warm, salt air of the Mediterranean with this seaside mix of soft citrus blossoms and amber
1 x Honey Lavender Gelato large jar - a refreshing lavender treat that’s bursting with flavour and topped with cool berry and warm honey

Choosing Auto Delivery?

Second delivery contains:

1 x Sweet Honeysuckle large jar - a beautifully enticing spring aroma of golden honeysuckle nectar
1 x Tulips large jar - naturally clean and bright scents of a dewy spring morning
1 x Hydrangea large jar - the enticing scent of beautiful flowers with green notes and hints of hyacinth, lilac and vanilla

Yankee Candle Set of 3 USA Mediterranean Dreams Large Jars
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.706947

Auto-Delivery Yankee Candle Set of 3 USA Mediterranean Dreams Large Jars
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.707135

QVC Price £52.00
Todays Special Value Price £39.98
P&P £5.95

Have you gone for the TSV?
I'm not sure. Don't know about the coffee one. The vet had a similar one burning when I took one of my dogs last week & it was a bit overpowering.

This looks a terrific set but most of the smells that sound nice to me have sold out.
http://www.qvcuk.com/Yankee-Candle-...html?sc=PSCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-15-_-706520

that tsv was just under £40 + post & sold out early & today is the last day of vanilla cupcake at that price but if it goes it wont be back

Lots of these have been in trios on Q, some as TSV ADs IIRC. Luscious Plum and Nutcracker were in a trio with Wintergreen and were smashing. Chocolate apple, berry jam and peppermint martini are not ones I have ever sniffed, but the other fresh and florals there were fine I think. Not sure if I got candied pecans but hopefully if I did I can burn it with something to tone down the foodiness!

I also use Temptation Gifts if I am buying a whole load of tarts and tealights or candles to take it over £50 because then you know when it will arrive.

Breeze, the trouble with having a favourite YC is THEY DISCONTINUE IT!!!!!

:mysmilie_59:

I have the same problem with beauty products, so I feel your pain! I'm absolutely gutted that L'Occitane have reformulated Arlesienne, my favourite of their fragrances. I like the new one, but it's not a patch on the original in my view.

just checked-out Wax Addicts.... deep joy, tomorrows drop doesn't appeal at all, but I love all 3 of the 2nd delivery!
This is going to cause me stress....... buy.... not buy....... aaagghhh! lol

Hi frenchie. :wave: I fancied the first drop, but not the second, but have ordered the TSV on auto delivery, just in case you would like my second drop. I could get them sent to you direct obviously. If you've changed your mind / made other arrangements, I can just cancel it, but the option's there if you need it. :happy: x

I love the sound of Lavender Vanilla, Cottage Breeze & Sunwashed Linen, thank you for the clear descriptions.
Some of the names give you no clue, what on earth is the smell of a Child's Wish for instance?

I really like clean, fresh smells & true garden flower smells, or green ones. Not really keen on heavy, heady scents or not sure if food ones in a setting that isn't the kitchen. Suppose it's a bit like perfume preferences, I can't take really heavy oriental perfumes.

It sounds like we have very similar tastes. Will let you know some of my favourites tomorrow, when my brain's working a bit better (or at all, lol!)

5 favourite Yankee fragrances eh? I'll try, here goes:-

Moonlight
Garden Hideaway
Meadow Showers
A Childs Wish
Fireside Treats.

Special mention to Vanilla Lime, Evening Air, Ebony & Oak, Beach Holiday, Candy Cane Lane & Sea Salt & Sage.
I've probably forgotten loads more as well.

I finally got around to starting Linden Tree last night. I've no idea if I actually liked it though because I couldn't smell it. Not a jot. Very disappointing.

I'm west of Southampton Tarketta - which of the first drop are you not so keen on?

Frenchie, I've decided against the TSV as I really don't want the Cafe Al Fresco, but Minx has bought the AD and is reaching out to you in an earlier message, so hopefully you can work something out :)

Seriously impressed at your willpower, mine has flagged big time but what's putting me off is the Cafe Al Fresco one as I really do not like cinnamon or coffee smells, yeuch - given that you can usually get new arrivals discounted online elsewhere, I may hold fire and just buy the two I want later in the year instead of being stuck with one I don't like...ooh hark at me, I'm being all mature!

thats what i do. have been buying candles for decades now and with yankees getting more expensive i dont take long shots on the fragances. after all these years i roughly know what i prefer. mind you my tastes have changed somewhat. i used to live for florals but overall like the food bakery as i have got older

thats what i do. have been buying candles for decades now and with yankees getting more expensive i dont take long shots on the fragances. after all these years i roughly know what i prefer. mind you my tastes have changed somewhat. i used to live for florals but overall like the food bakery as i have got older

That's a really good insight, Boffy, didn't think of it like that - I've been buying Yankees for a while now and as you say, know what I do and don't like having bought enough to know what the florid descriptions actually translate to (and having been stuck with a few duds that I ended up having to bin because they were so vile to my nose, Carrot Cake being the one that really springs to mind!)

I went for the AD! I don't mind the sound of the coffee one and I like cinnamon. I have to be wary of the cakey ones. Christmas Cupcake, YUK! Red Velvet Cake ditto. Now I love vanilla as a fragrance but not when YC get their hands on it in a cake candle. The ones I really look forward to are next month's Beach/Driftwood selection, followed by the Havana ones. But when they soon start going mad for Jelly Beans and Easter Cake, my credit card will be safe, LOL.

:mysmilie_59:

I really like the sound of the seaside/ beach ones.
I'm still dithering over this TSV, got it in my basket but not clicked checkout, the second drop sounds nicer than the first.

I really like the sound of the seaside/ beach ones.
I'm still dithering over this TSV, got it in my basket but not clicked checkout, the second drop sounds nicer than the first.

Breeze, I've done that a few times today, but have now come to a momentous decision - I'm going to stick to buying melt cups I think as they're so much cleaner and more efficient than large jars, plus the throw even in a big room is much better than the large jars which can be a bit hit and miss.

Frenchie, I've decided against the TSV as I really don't want the Cafe Al Fresco, but Minx has bought the AD and is reaching out to you in an earlier message, so hopefully you can work something out :)

Oh, well done, Tarketta (I see you explain later that you are going to stick to melt cups from now on). I had to watch the launch show and I'm going to have a quick look at the next show, on in a minute, but I'm not tempted by the TSV. I don't even like the sound of the Honey Lavender Gelato now, having heard it described by Steven. I am not keen on the idea of a berry smell. I am thinking blackcurrant (the dreadful Cassis, which I hate) and I've got a Berry Trifle which is ok but I definitely wouldn't buy again.

I sincerely hope those of you who go for the TSV love it, though. Dying to hear what you think when the box arrives and especially when you light them (I realise we're looking at 2018/19 for you to burn yours, Mazza!).

Breeze, I've done that a few times today, but have now come to a momentous decision - I'm going to stick to buying melt cups I think as they're so much cleaner and more efficient than large jars, plus the throw even in a big room is much better than the large jars which can be a bit hit and miss.

I'm beginning to think not too, thought the Lavender Gelato would be proper lavender not s foodie type.
Right, now, what's the difference between a melt cup & a wax melt? Talk about a learning curve!

Dale is much better than JF was on the launch.

On a related subject, now that I'm getting to the bottom of quite a few jars, I'm left with the empties and I wonder what you Yankee-ites do with yours?? I can find a use for a couple but I definitely won't need all of them. Seems a shame to bung them in the recycling and I doubt there's much call for empty Yankee jars on eBay (although I have seen them for sale on there, usually with labels attached). Any suggestions? Also, do you leave the labels on?

I just had a thought - I wonder if a local kids group, Girl Guides or something, could use them for the kids to decorate with glass paint and sell or keep as storage. If I saved up a dozen or so, so enough to go round, they might welcome them?? I guess I'd have to take the labels off though and that can be tough as they seem to get "bonded" on by the heat of the melting wax, I find.

I'm afraid mine just go into the glass recycling. I have no need of glass storage jars... but I'm sure you can do lots of things with them if you're crafty-minded... - use for citronella candles for outside in the summer (with suitable glass paints and other decoration to pretty them up...

Latest posts

Back