You know you are old when....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

And nylon sheets.
When I was a student I used to spend all the summer holidays working in a hotel on the Isle of White as a chambermaid. We had one couple who came back swearing it was the hotel's nylon sheets that got them the baby they'd wanted for years & were back hoping for a second one.

Another Woolworth's Saturday girl here! After working a few months on the gardening and fruit and veg counter I was 'promoted' to the Sweetie counter. The manager didn't mind us knicking a few choccies so long as we were not seen. They wanted me to train up as a full time Staff Supervisor but my mother had other ideas for me. That makes me feel old, in those days we did what we were told, nowadays youngsters have their own ideas about their futures and so they should!

And nylon sheets.
When I was a student I used to spend all the summer holidays working in a hotel on the Isle of White as a chambermaid. We had one couple who came back swearing it was the hotel's nylon sheets that got them the baby they'd wanted for years & were back hoping for a second one.

Awful thinking back, but I remember when nylon FITTED coloured sheets first came out we thought we were the bees knees with these new trendy things!,

I remember wearing Biba fashion the first time round, wearing Dolcis crepe soled t bar shoes, sporting a Demi wave and knocking back a crafty half of lager and blackcurrant at the local " Disco"!!

I also remember wearing a really sticky lip gloss from a rollerball type thing and wearing a perfume called Smitty :)

I remember wearing Biba fashion the first time round, wearing Dolcis crepe soled t bar shoes, sporting a Demi wave and knocking back a crafty half of lager and blackcurrant at the local " Disco"!!

I also remember wearing a really sticky lip gloss from a rollerball type thing and wearing a perfume called Smitty :)

I also remember Biba first time around but it was too expensive for my pocket back then.

I felt old going over to my local Tesco, and I like listening to my MP3 player, when the "Young" man at the checkout said, "What are you listening to"? I said The B52's ............. cheeky git said, and this is the truth - NEVER HEARD OF THEM.

What about the makeup we wore. I remember loving Coty makeup, Yardley & when I could afford it Helena Rubenstein.
And how trendy when we bought Mary Quant in the black & white packaging with the daisy.
Even everyday lipsticks like Max Factor came in gold metal tubes.

What about the makeup we wore. I remember loving Coty makeup, Yardley & when I could afford it Helena Rubenstein.
And how trendy when we bought Mary Quant in the black & white packaging with the daisy.
Even everyday lipsticks like Max Factor came in gold metal tubes.

My first ever makeup was an Innoxa lipstick, a Rimmel stick eye shadow in lilac and a Max Factor solid mascara in the little plastic box with a tiny brush. No foundation cos my Mum wouldn`t let me wear it.

My first ever makeup was an Innoxa lipstick, a Rimmel stick eye shadow in lilac and a Max Factor solid mascara in the little plastic box with a tiny brush. No foundation cos my Mum wouldn`t let me wear it.

My Mum wouldn't let me wear foundation either!!

Our local Chemist stocked Miners make up and I remember buying a bright blue eye shadow and hiding it from my Mum as she said it looked common lol!!

'Smitty did it! The advertising strapline. I was a Charlie girl myself. Pungent stuff :(

'Smitty did it! The advertising strapline. I was a Charlie girl myself. Pungent stuff :(

I remember Charlie even though I didn't wear it but don't recall Smitty at all.

I wore Blue Grass Elizabeth Arden and to this day Mr L says it is the only perfume he can identify.

I also remember Miners make up

My sister sprayed the perfume "Gingham" from top to toe when she was in her teens, you could barely see her through the mist.

I loved Aqua Manda. They re released it a few years ago but it isn`t anything like the original.

I was just explaining to my 3 year old what a phone box was as we passed one at the side of the street. We had to go in and check it out. He thought it was hilarious and kept giggling about it. He could just not get his head around aphone you couldn't walk around with, take photos with, play games on, email etc - most of which he can already do better than me!

Yep I was a Woolie's Saturday girl too ! I was on groceries with all the tins laid out flat on the wooden counter. I had a dull green overall with a pencil and pad on a bit of string to work out calculations. I then transferred to the biscuits where they had to be weighed out on scales from loose boxes - the ones at the front of the counter had glass lids, and everyone wanted a pound of the broken ones ! hated the outfit, it was white with a headband to match.

Perfume - Pagan was what most of us wore, although Coty L'aimant filled the air in our typing pool (as we worked at the manufacturers) YES typing pool , complete with headsets and records in the audio department. School leavers started off as copy typists, then after an apprentice period would upgrade to audio typists and an extra 10/- per week. And we had a tea trolley come around with 6d for a cup of tea and 3d for a buttered roll !!

Does anyone remember the shops where they put the money in a cylinder and it went on overhead lines to the accounts office.

My first job was in an accounts office and we had a really posh one which went down tubes all over the building rather than overhead.

Does anyone remember the shops where they put the money in a cylinder and it went on overhead lines to the accounts office.

My first job was in an accounts office and we had a really posh one which went down tubes all over the building rather than overhead.

When I was a kid our local Co-op used this system. I remember going with my Mum and watching them weigh out the loose tea, cut butter and cheese from big rounds and all the counters were wood with big wooden shelves behind them and I`d regularly see the Manager sending cylinders through the tubes. My Mum had a divvy number and she also collected green shield stamps. This was back in the days before supermarkets and my Mum along with most other women, bought daily from the local Co-op, corner shops and butchers. We did have a small fridge at this time, no freezer though and milk was delivered daily and bread was bought daily too. No long life foodstuffs back then, very little except tinned food could be kept for longer than a day or so and bread would be stale after a day and milk would quickly go off. Nowadays you see supposedly fresh food such as milk and bread with long expiry dates and it makes you wonder what chemicals and preservatives are in them.

I remember a little department store called Sterlers near my Nana's in Liverpool that had those tubes. I think the later ones were called Lamsons or similar. We still had them in the civil service in the 90's and I can remember one in Tescos till about ten years ago.

Not just on Q but whenever I see or hear something called a vintage style and I realise I wore it first time around during the 1960`s. Clarks do 60`s style shoes, Orla Keily stuff and the resurrection of certain fashions. I suppose I AM Vintage when I think about it.
I also feel old because I don`t own a smart phone or a tablet, just a computer and I don`t use Twitter or tap apps.

Ah bless ! Your comment about the smart phone make me smile and think of my Mum. Last year sometime, when she was 91, she asked my sister what an I-Phone was. She then asked why she didn't have one and asked my sister to buy her one ! Sadly she died a few weeks ago which makes me feel really old because I will be the next generation to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Latest posts

Back