Jade Troth is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Some cynical might think its a little odd that when Dave Troth was on Gems TV selling Jade a few days ago, someone called 'Leanne' messaged in hyping up a Jadeite item that Troth was flogging.

A few days before, I happened to notice that another messaged from 'Leanne' was also read out by Troth.

I've just tuned in to Gem Collector, and Emily is flogging a set of 12 carved monstrosities in a presentation case. On the screen is a message that says "I have this collection, they are perfectly formed, carved beautifully, and presented very well in a lovely box. Buy with confidence" - from............... Leanne, Devon.

Someone cynical might think that it could be a member of the production crew sending in messages claiming to be 'Leanne'.

Luckily, I am not cynical.........................

I've just tuned in to Gem Collector, and Emily is flogging a set of 12 carved monstrosities in a presentation case. On the screen is a message that says "I have this collection, they are perfectly formed, carved beautifully, and presented very well in a lovely box. Buy with confidence" - from............... Leanne, Devon.

Someone cynical might think that it could be a member of the production crew sending in messages claiming to be 'Leanne'.

Luckily, I am not cynical.........................
Yes...this new style of shtick has started to get some traction at Gemporia and particularly disappointing that it's enveigled its way on to GC. Noticeable too, that the role call on GC doesn't include people from the "cupboard studio" days (with one exception on Emily's shifts who also now pops up in studio messages on Gems). Names that became familiar have just disappeared.

Yes...this new style of shtick has started to get some traction at Gemporia and particularly disappointing that it's enveigled its way on to GC. Noticeable too, that the role call on GC doesn't include people from the "cupboard studio" days (with one exception on Emily's shifts who also now pops up in studio messages on Gems). Names that became familiar have just disappeared.
Gem Collector has turned into a Gemporia clone. Hard sell. Themed hours. Patronising lectures from the presenters. Quotes on a TV behind the screen. The 'Gem Experts' popping in for an hour with lectures. They've even started shoehorning Gems TV pendants, Jewellery Maker gem strands and Kimbie gemstone tea light holders onto the channel now too.

I'm not surprised that viewers have gone. Gem Collector's forte was that it was different from the other channels and had a more 'laid back' approach. It had a more 'personal' feel to it too. The prices were a little on the high side - but the ability to request a stone, see it 'live' / 'in the flesh', and have a bit of personal interaction with Alex or Emily or perhaps barter over price a bit helped to justify that little bit extra.

Now, the prices are beyond high. They're into rip-off territory, and the 'personal' aspect of the show / sale has gone too. There is nothing to justify those extra price increases. Its gone from being a channel that allowed us to request and buy what we wanted to buy - to a channel that is trying to force upon us what they want us to buy.

In addition to that, with no disrespect to Gemporia viewers, but the buyers on Gem Collector are more clued up about gemstones than Gemporia viewers. The majority of Gemporia customers are only interested in jewellery for its beauty and wearability. Do they care about how its mined or where its from, or whether the stone is coloured blue through natural or treatment processes? Probably not. Gem Collector viewers are more switched on. They know that a filled ruby is inferior to a natural or heat treated ruby. They will know that Csarite only comes from one mine in the world. They will know that heat treatment involves heating a stone to almost melting point. They don't need to be told over and over again by a 'gem expert' something that they already know. They don't also need to be patronised by a presenter that is claiming that a filled ruby is 'exquisite quality' and 'rarer than rare'. Its patronising. It's insulting. Many Gem Collector customers probably know more about the stones than the presenters. I know there was one viewer that used to message in who was a qualified GIA trained gemmologist. Her qualification is far superior to a 'GIA accreditation'. It's insulting that particular viewers intelligence when Emily is trying to tell a gemmologist that a filled ruby is 'of the finest grade'.

Their claim of being 'the worlds largest gem store' is nonsense and outdated too. Yes, 10 years ago, when they had a huge range of stock, a wide variety of stones and some rare minerals that nobody else stocked, that quote was probably true - but over the years, the stock numbers have dwindled, some varieties of even the basic 'entry level' stones such as Tigers Eye have not even been re-stocked after selling out years ago, and the majority of the rare minerals have sold out. There is hardly any choice at Gem Collector now.

GemSelect have a HUGE range of stones. WAY more than Gem Collector's current inventory. So to say they're still the "worlds largest gem store" is laughable.

I was surprised when Alex left - but now I totally get why he went when he did. He must have seen these changes coming and though "I'm having none of that - off I go". Alex had his flaws at times - but he also had morals and principles. Emily, however, is in full on Gemporia presenter mode, and she comes across as though she'd sell her gran if it meant keeping her job - and Jim, as much as I like him, just doesn't really fit in or feel right on Gem Collector. He comes across as trying too hard and still has a bit of 'Gems TV' mannerisms about him.

The best presenter that Gem Collector ever had in terms of being informative without being patronising, and trying to sell without being all hard sell and pressuring, was Nick Davies.

I was surprised when Alex left - but now I totally get why he went when he did. He must have seen these changes coming and though "I'm having none of that - off I go". Alex had his flaws at times - but he also had morals and principles. Emily, however, is in full on Gemporia presenter mode, and she comes across as though she'd sell her gran if it meant keeping her job - and Jim, as much as I like him, just doesn't really fit in or feel right on Gem Collector. He comes across as trying too hard and still has a bit of 'Gems TV' mannerisms about him.
I was too. He wasn't an "actor/presenter/singer" with a stagecoach profile, photo shoot and sample production reels. He just liked gemstones and people. Or that's how it seemed. Emily has morphed into something different since he left and Jim is a square peg in a round hole on GC. Shame really.

Jim is a square peg in a round hole on GC. Shame really.
Jim is odd. I used to watch him at the 11pm slot on Gemporia and he'd annoy me with his hyperactivity and 'rocking'. Then he grew on me: except his terrible pronunciations of stones. But now he's on GC, he doesn't seem to work 'as well'.

I was too. He wasn't an "actor/presenter/singer" with a stagecoach profile, photo shoot and sample production reels. He just liked gemstones and people. Or that's how it seemed. Emily has morphed into something different since he left and Jim is a square peg in a round hole on GC. Shame really.
Alex is very much a people person and naturally chatty - what you saw on screen was Alex. I think some of his stories were over-exagerated for the sake of making good / funny viewing - but other than that, he was the same in person as he was on screen.

As for Emily - I think that now Alex has gone, she thinks that "she" is Gem Collector and that people tune in to see her. I've never warmed to Emily. She's just another giggle-a-lot, talk-a-lot, typical aloof Gems TV presenter.

As for Jim, I agree with Ant7t - he's a square peg in a round hole. I like Jim. He's one of the more genuine and likeable presenters - but you can tell he's been on Gems TV for years - he's still in that mode of presenting. It doesn't really work on Gem Collector.

Jeff's style of presenting would have been perfect for GC.

I tend to avoid Dave's shows and his endless 30 second clocks, (why, why does he keep putting a 30 second timer on?!) They've moved onto the 'more affordable' Kimbie carved birds now - £29.99 for an Aventurine parrot - you can get something very similar for £4 on Temu

I might be late noticing this however....
Whilst the usual nonsense of 'can I have a thirty second clock' is one thing; today I see the channel has a countdown clock until 'Live with Dave Troth'. Do you think that they believe this, or do they know its all fake and manufactured? I sometimes wonder if the presenters continue to be so false and untruthful when they are off screen or with fiends and family? I don't really want to know. But I kind of think that it might be their guilty secret and be hoping that no one that they know in 'real life' such as the kins teachers, the children's friends parents etc etc don't actually know how that they should be listened to with extreme suspicion.

Gem Collector has turned into a Gemporia clone. Hard sell. Themed hours. Patronising lectures from the presenters. Quotes on a TV behind the screen. The 'Gem Experts' popping in for an hour with lectures. They've even started shoehorning Gems TV pendants, Jewellery Maker gem strands and Kimbie gemstone tea light holders onto the channel now too.

I'm not surprised that viewers have gone. Gem Collector's forte was that it was different from the other channels and had a more 'laid back' approach. It had a more 'personal' feel to it too. The prices were a little on the high side - but the ability to request a stone, see it 'live' / 'in the flesh', and have a bit of personal interaction with Alex or Emily or perhaps barter over price a bit helped to justify that little bit extra.

Now, the prices are beyond high. They're into rip-off territory, and the 'personal' aspect of the show / sale has gone too. There is nothing to justify those extra price increases. Its gone from being a channel that allowed us to request and buy what we wanted to buy - to a channel that is trying to force upon us what they want us to buy.

In addition to that, with no disrespect to Gemporia viewers, but the buyers on Gem Collector are more clued up about gemstones than Gemporia viewers. The majority of Gemporia customers are only interested in jewellery for its beauty and wearability. Do they care about how its mined or where its from, or whether the stone is coloured blue through natural or treatment processes? Probably not. Gem Collector viewers are more switched on. They know that a filled ruby is inferior to a natural or heat treated ruby. They will know that Csarite only comes from one mine in the world. They will know that heat treatment involves heating a stone to almost melting point. They don't need to be told over and over again by a 'gem expert' something that they already know. They don't also need to be patronised by a presenter that is claiming that a filled ruby is 'exquisite quality' and 'rarer than rare'. Its patronising. It's insulting. Many Gem Collector customers probably know more about the stones than the presenters. I know there was one viewer that used to message in who was a qualified GIA trained gemmologist. Her qualification is far superior to a 'GIA accreditation'. It's insulting that particular viewers intelligence when Emily is trying to tell a gemmologist that a filled ruby is 'of the finest grade'.

Their claim of being 'the worlds largest gem store' is nonsense and outdated too. Yes, 10 years ago, when they had a huge range of stock, a wide variety of stones and some rare minerals that nobody else stocked, that quote was probably true - but over the years, the stock numbers have dwindled, some varieties of even the basic 'entry level' stones such as Tigers Eye have not even been re-stocked after selling out years ago, and the majority of the rare minerals have sold out. There is hardly any choice at Gem Collector now.

GemSelect have a HUGE range of stones. WAY more than Gem Collector's current inventory. So to say they're still the "worlds largest gem store" is laughable.

The best presenter that Gem Collector ever had in terms of being informative without being patronising, and trying to sell without being all hard sell and pressuring, was Nick Davies.
Personally, if Emily wanted to try to sell her gran on Gem Collector I'd welcome it.....at least it would be something different. I flick over now and again and it's just rubbish, Emily going into one or giggling at one of her own jokes (yes, hilarious, Emily - now get back to work) and the prices are eye-watering. Having ruined Gemporia, I suppose it was logical GC would be next on the agenda. Nick was calm, and I much preferred him presenting to the sometimes manic and mind-numbingly boring stories that Alex used to spin out and the constant (and I think rather unkind and patronising) stories of 'Little Brian'. Although I'd freely acknowledge that Alex knew his stuff when it came to the stones, no doubt about that.

Jim is odd. I used to watch him at the 11pm slot on Gemporia and he'd annoy me with his hyperactivity and 'rocking'. Then he grew on me: except his terrible pronunciations of stones. But now he's on GC, he doesn't seem to work 'as well'.
I like Jim, always found him one of the more straightforward, less crapspeak presenters but I agree that he doesn't seem 'at home' on GC - I don't think it suits him at all and because he's uncomfortable I think it shows in the way he comes across.

I like Jim, always found him one of the more straightforward, less crapspeak presenters but I agree that he doesn't seem 'at home' on GC - I don't think it suits him at all and because he's uncomfortable I think it shows in the way he comes across.
I suppose it's because they wanted to keep him when they shut shop between 11pm - 7am so they put him there.

I sometimes wonder if the presenters continue to be so false and untruthful when they are off screen or with fiends and family?

I can't say how I know because it'll drop a couple of people in it - but I know that a couple of Gemporia 'faces' are as sick of Dave and his Jadeite as we are.

So they're definitely putting on a front 'on-air' when they're having to be enthusiastic about it all and hyping it up.

I can't say how I know because it'll drop a couple of people in it - but I know that a couple of Gemporia 'faces' are as sick of Dave and his Jadeite as we are.

So they're definitely putting on a front 'on-air' when they're having to be enthusiastic about it all and hyping it up.
Maybe that's why they 'over-hype'? Puts me in mind of Me thinks he doth protest too much. I think that works.

No - but you're in luck - they have hundreds of other carved monstrosities you can choose from.
Oh wow, they do too 😱…. Just watching “David Harry Jewels” with his birds.

Thousand of pounds for these birds 🤭! And someone is buying it as it shows as “sold” as I am watching this 😬… truly unbelievable

Last edited:
Oh wow, they do too 😱…. Just watching “David Harry Jewels” with his birds.

Thousand of pounds for these birds 🤭! And someone is buying it as it shows as “sold” as I am watching this 😬… truly unbelievable

It's not actually 'sold' until the order is closed after midnight though.

I wonder how many people that actually 'buy' these things cancel before midnight.

People probably order on 'pre-order' too expecting them to go for £30, go off and do some chores, check their emails 3 hours later and collapse in shock when they see that their pigeon s**t grey Jadeite bangle closed at £500.

Latest posts

Back