elemis- keeleys advice on facebook page

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Alz1995

Registered Shopper
i recently posted on facebook page about horrendous breakout expirienced after using bliss capsules- as another person also was using them and suffered the same. Everyone was raving how Keeley tells you this is normal and its just the skin detoxifying, ???? really I posted that my local elemis therapist told me that clearly my skin had not needed them hence the breakout . Keelys reply concerned me. stating she didnt agree with the advice I had been given and everyone needed this treatment. well they are quite expensive but who am I going to take advice from- My expirienced therapist who knows my skin or someone lovely as she is ( I do like her ) who is paid by QVC or affliated to go on QVC by elemis and make sales???
Im a nurse well versed in the anatomy of the skin and buy lots of products- but your skin can only absorb so much and if I was detoxifying my skin Id do it from the inside out by drinking plenty water eating more fresh produce and cutting back on the crap. processed food.

Exactly, you don't detox this way surely? The models on Q need skin like a rhino to withstand all the layering of product that goes on in an hour. Haven't seen Tanya lately, maybe on hols or giving her florid skin a well earned rest. I fancied trying these capsules but my skin reacts to just about everything, so I have resisted, thankfully.

I have just seen your post on the page and I'm sorry but Keeley is talking complete b******s (as usual). I don't use Elemis as it's out of my price range but I use Liz Earle brightening treatment mask which has witch hazel in it once as a week as part of my 3 weekly treatment masks and my skin looks so much better so Keeley's talking rot about "be careful with witch hazel on the face". My face is okay!

I'm certainly not in the Keeley "fan club" as lots of people are on that page. As someone said before Keeley is one of these people who will make sure she is always there , nothing will stop her - as proved tonight on the 8pm show with her sore throat. I had to turn her off when she was banging on about Wayne & Coleen Rooney copying the name of her son (AY was talking about someone at QVC having a daughter named Harper).

I've noticed her being snooty a couple of times about other brands (Namely Liz Earle) one that comes to mind is "I wouldn't recommend using a muslin cloth to take off cleanser" to a person who asked a question on the QVC site..

isnt keeley absolutely awful?
the accent, the fright wig, the rubbish being spouted.
a total cliche of the worst kind of salon proprietor.
terrible.

I have just seen your post on the page and I'm sorry but Keeley is talking complete b******s (as usual). I don't use Elemis as it's out of my price range but I use Liz Earle brightening treatment mask which has witch hazel in it once as a week as part of my 3 weekly treatment masks and my skin looks so much better so Keeley's talking rot about "be careful with witch hazel on the face". My face is okay!

I'm certainly not in the Keeley "fan club" as lots of people are on that page. As someone said before Keeley is one of these people who will make sure she is always there , nothing will stop her - as proved tonight on the 8pm show with her sore throat. I had to turn her off when she was banging on about Wayne & Coleen Rooney copying the name of her son (AY was talking about someone at QVC having a daughter named Harper).

I've noticed her being snooty a couple of times about other brands (Namely Liz Earle) one that comes to mind is "I wouldn't recommend using a muslin cloth to take off cleanser" to a person who asked a question on the QVC site..

i too love liz earle. i alternate between cleanse and polish and elemis pro rad cleanser which i take off with a muslin cloth. i also have a few liz earle books that i bought late eighties early 90s when she was beauty editor on this morning. her recipes for home made great skin care products. my local pharmacist thought i was a pagan witch i think. anyway she did one for clearing spots which included witch hazel, rose water tea tree lavender and chamomile essential oils that worked like a dream my nephews teenage spots cleared in days and he continued to use until his 20s. in fact thats reminded me i might be making some more to use in case of another bout of spottiness. its also good to wipe your tweezers or epilady blades.
my skin is usually prety good so i will not be repurchasing the bliss capsules as
divine as they smelled it wasnt worth the plague of boils. i hope that poor girl on facebook resists and doesnt use them before her wedding! she may need to invest in that industrial strength consealer on another post. she be better investing in a course of weekly express facials for the four weeks.

Keeley is a saleswoman and is there to sell products, some of the rubbish she comes out with makes me cringe. most volatile oils are skin irritants (plant oils) and apart from the nice smell and maybe an enjoyable texture there is absolutely no evidence that they do what they say, infact the only evidence is that most oils cause damage at a cellular level due to their irritating nature.
As for 'detoxing' biggest con ever invented by the beauty industry. you don't need to detox anything. your kidneys and liver do a pretty good job all by themselves,

I find Keeley's advice on the whole is awful. doesnt matter what skin concerns people phone in with you can be sure she will recommend another expensive step to add in, or make up some gargabe about toxins and 'your skin is just adjusting' no sorry Keeley, if your skin is red and spotty, then its not adjusting its irritated.

I can remember years ago when I had teen spots using Valderma I think it was and every time it made me much worse!!

Thank you Alz, if my offspring ever get the dreaded spots, I will be trying the Liz Earle method you've posted.

I read her facebook page now and then and do use Elemis. BUT she does push certain products as everyone must use these etc. I don't, I know what suits my skin and avoid other stuff which I feel won't. I remember Keeley pushing the Tri Eny range like mad on her Facebook. I knew because of my roseaca I was not touching it!!! Said this on the page and she tried to say but everyone can use it. Er, no dear and I am not even trying as I know the result.

I get alot of my Elemis on ebay and get stuff for half price or sometimes even less. My roseaca was having a mayor hissy fit an I was getting acne spots etc last week. So just started the Daily Redness Relief cream which I have had for quite a few years. Always keep a bottle in the house. It used to be priced quite reasonably then like the SOS went up to near £50!!!! I was nearly finished my old one and no way was I paying £49!!! So won a new full size for £17.10 including postage. Now my face is back to normal Yah!!! If you need advice then someone who has seen you face to face. I know a therapist who told me to use the Herbal Repair Mask as a spot treatment, just dab on and yes they are gone by morning, infact it was that which really calmed my breakout last week. Now no one would even dream of doing that, but because she knew my skin gave the right advice. Which I have been doing for a good few years.

Oh by the way I think it was the sun which broke me out, if I get caught this does happen.

Last edited:
thank god for some common sense.

i am very lucky to have excellent skin (genetics) and just want to clean my skin,a weekly mask and a nice moisturiser.
the hype that the salon brands hype is mainly about how good the skincare smells and the lovely textures.

in my whole life i have never had mass breakouts and boils that all the essential oil based skincare gives me.

i am using basic mild soap(loccitane ultra rich soap and alpha-h when i want a creamy cleanser) and rejuvinating cream again alpha-h with no irritating,rich smelly oils.
also its rubbish to say that if you end up with boils and spots that is due to detoxing,
its actually a wound when you get boils/spots.that can sometimes take months to clear.

some people will enjoy elemis,decleor,clarins et all i and others cannot.

keeley and alison should be honest and say that some people will be intolerant to some ingredients instead of recomending something else from the same said range to get more money from people not aware that they may be allergic to some ingredients in these luxury skincare brands.

let the dance begin!

I too hated the Bliss capsules, they broke me out horribly and I didn't like the texture of them at all. Don't believe in skin purging either, how much crap can seriously be in your pores??! I use a fair bit of Elemis but like all of us here, make my own decision on what works for me and take what Keeley says with a pinch of salt. I do quite like her as it happens, some of what she says is nonsense but she's so amenable I can't help it haha! But like other posters I get mine on eBay and was also horrified that the SOS is now nearly £50. I remember getting a full sized one in a TSV! So i got a 15ml size on eBay for £7...sorted!

Tx

Does anyone else remember Bonnie, Keeley's predecessor? I think she went to Australia or somewhere? She was easier to listen to, I struggle to watch an hour of Keeley as she often talks bollox bless her. The bliss capsules were just okay on my skin, nothing amazing happened but I didn't like the texture, it reminded me of silicone based primers - a bit claggy iykwim!

J xx

I have only used the bliss capsules once. I was suffering long-term breakouts at the side of my mouth and my skin was generally out of sorts. As recommened by Keeley, I did a two month course and I must admit, the problem completely went away. I think they are the kind of product you don't need to use unless your skin is playing up, but if it is don't be put off by some initial breakouts 2 weeks in, it works in the end.

I've never been tempted by Elemis, its a bit out of my price range and I worry about so many different products! I honestly don't have the time to apply this here and this there and that on top of that etc!

I went for the Boots Organic balm (sorry dont think thats the right name) but its fab, I find it has helped my skin no end and it was only £6 or £7. It did bring alot of small whiteheads to the surface but I find that now it only brings out one really quickly and if I leave it alone its gone by the next day! My skin is looking fab! I've also been using the AD Skin synergy oil as I got that in the starter kit, I use it every second night and its been really good as well.

One product is definately not for all and for a therapist to say that is shocking! Ok to try a product but if it doesnt work for you then you normally dont use it again and the good thing with Q is it lets you try it for 30 days.

I know she has products to sell but still a good therapist would never suggest using something without checking it first with your skin, even AY will tell us sometimes when something isn't suitable for someone!

I so wanted to like elemis but it hates me - too stimulating and I have to say rather expensive these days, I have some major skin issues (investigations ongoing) but do react terribly to all manner of skincare - is it essenitals oils mmm not sure I seem OK with some, is it glycerin? oo I don't know could be, mineral oil maybe, probably not but not a good ingredient for me as i find it causes spots, its a minefield but what I do know as OPs have said is one size definitely does not fit all when it comes to skincare as there would only be one brand on the market.

My GP thinks from my latest attractive and rather persistent bout of angiodema that it might be some meds I'm taking for respiratory disease would you beleive or hereditary that is causing hypersensitivity

Clearly Keeley is passionate about her brand but should exercise caution when someone says they have red irritated skin as opposed to a breakout (which can happen at any time) I would say that's a cue to stop using something, certianly in my experience it is anyway.

I'm currently using a face balm for cleansing and the same for moisturising and I absolutely love it. It was an emergency measure for me but I honestly think as long as I don't develop hypersensitivity to this one I'll stay with it.

Last edited:
I use quite a few of the products but take what Keeley says with a very large pinch of salt :wave: I tried the tri-enzyme range once and my pretty good skin erupted :smirk: Any small benefit I might have gained certainly wasn't worth walking around looking like Freddy Krueger - I could only go out night with a Hermes scarf on. Needless to say it was binned toute suite (only travel sizes - a Xmas gift). I think a lot of the range now is quite superfluous - such as the Visible Difference. Quite a lot of money for very little return. Getting a lot better at not being taken in by all the flim flam spouted by the likes of Keeley and Gobby :wave:

http://www.beautypedia.com/

really good site, that reviews a lot of skin care and make up brands, Paula does her research, yes she has her own range but she also has no problem giving good reviews to other brands if they deserve it. She also has a lot of you tube videos cutting through the hype that cosmetic companies use and I really recommend watching them or checking out her site.
A little knowledge can help you keep hold of those pennies instead of being suckered in by a load of smoke and mirrors that these companies use.

Just taken a in-depth look at keeley's FB page and am astounded at how many products she is telling people to use. I did a cleanse , tone and moisturise(day & night creams) price comparison between Elemis (bought from Keeley's salon) & the brand I use (Liz Earle) and was shocked at the Elemis result..
Comparison
Liz Earle - £76.05
Elemis - £215.60

The "this works for everyone"spiel is dangerous and misleading in my view. I have sensitive skin but do use the uber-sensitive brightening treatment mask once a week and my skin is fine. I also every Monday do a mask which the guy (C) who is a big LE fan posted which is a pump of C&P mixed with a couple of drops of superskin concentrate , apply onto face leave for around 20 minutes then rinse off with muslin cloth. I leave the mask on for 30 mins. My skin does go red when the mask is on but (I sound like keeley) that is the mask doing it's work. When rinsed off my skin feels and looks brand new. this mask to me is better than 30 days worth of bliss capsules which I see Keeley robs you for (whoops I meant sells you for) the sum of £59.30.

KEELEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!!

really good site, that reviews a lot of skin care and make up brands, Paula does her research, yes she has her own range but she also has no problem giving good reviews to other brands if they deserve it. She also has a lot of you tube videos cutting through the hype that cosmetic companies use and I really recommend watching them or checking out her site.
A little knowledge can help you keep hold of those pennies instead of being suckered in by a load of smoke and mirrors that these companies use.

Thanks for that Medusa, very interesting reading. I'm using some Philosophy at the moment, but it's not getting good reviews in this site. I too wanted to love the Elemis stuff after having a hissy fit with LE over the Avon thing. But it brought me out in spots under the chin and along my neck, and I also developed some dry patches on my chin. Ironically I cleared it up by using some LE C&P, tonic and the superskin moisturiser and keeping the routine really simple. It's probably time I went back to LE as it worked for me, the last TSV in July didn't take my fancy, but I really wished I'd gone for the May one. Maybe next time!

You are right nailprincess. Keeping things simple is key. I have had overactive oily skin with too much interference and after I posted recently about not being able to afford my usual pro radiance cleanser this month, my skin is better without it, I was actually reacting to it. I cleanse with a cotton pad and wash my face with Dove soap and Elemis glove, when I would have used pro rad with the glove, and then apply PCMC. I had a nice compliment yesterday, someone thought I was 10 years younger, whooo hooo.

Paula hate all brands that use essential oils or natural ingredients in any form. Her own range is all about the chemicals. Then the fact she had face lift really good way to promote a range. Cosmetics as always been about selling the fantasy ALWAYS. I recently read War Paint the story of Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden they got pulled up in the 30s for selling products which contained things they shouldn't.

But many essential oils should never be used neat, but Paula is against lavender which has been around for thousands of years and one oil you can use neat, tea tree oil and even honey. The latter two now used in hospitals to heal.

I take everything from her with a large pinch of salt. We are told parabens etc may cause cancer yet she is all for them and other ingredients which may cause things too. So whilst she states that natural is evil so are many of the ingredients she thinks are amazing.

Oh and don't forget its one woman's opinion who is out to make a living, just as Keeley pushing Elemis items is out to sell and make a living.

Latest posts

Back