Elemis lady.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't pay any attention to how Keeley pronounces any of her words...cos as soon as she opens her mouth and starts prattling on...I nod off yawn!! :cheeky:

She seems nice enough but I'm never quite convinced by the pseudo-scientific stuff she spouts. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

ps Our eldest son is just in the last stage of his English PHd in Newcastle and he's very accepting of shifting language patterns even though he's so well read in the classics, he's lecturing at the university and he says that language has always evolved. I'm sure he's right and I'm just too old!! lol:hi:

Absolutely, which is why when you read Shakespeare the language looks very odd. Language changes over time.

ps Our eldest son is just in the last stage of his English PHd in Newcastle and he's very accepting of shifting language patterns even though he's so well read in the classics, he's lecturing at the university and he says that language has always evolved. I'm sure he's right and I'm just too old!! lol:hi:

Whoops!! That should be PhD :wait:

I dont say Haitch, I find it really irritating when people do say it. I'm from Northern Ireland and it was very much frowned upon to say Haitch instead of Aitch.

oh how annoying is it to write too!

I am also from Northern Ireland and this silly thing was used to find out which tribal side you came from. Yes really. In the bad old days you might even be murdered if walking in the wrong area and saying it wrong.

So myself find the whole thing totally stupid and could not care less.

As for the queen's english, the family are all German so how do the German's say their Hs? Then that really should be the bend mark.

Us Germans pronounce our haitchs but as others have pointed out, over the centuries there has been a lot of shift in which words have a prononuced 'h' and which don't. Back in the day, a lot of people pronounced the 'h' simply because they didn't know better and didn't want to be caught out not pronouncing it - a phenomenon called 'hyper-correctness'. Nowadays I think it's really what you grew up with and which region you're from. I find it a bit odd, but again, that's cause I was drilled to speak BBC English at school and variations weren't really permitted.

To me Haitch is like calling napkins serviettes: sort of trying to be a bit refined, but actually kind of backfiring.

we're all different...I personally say "aitch" as I was taught to do, but there are lots of regional things too...being from the Midlands I say "bath" not "barth", we have to accept that people in different areas have different ways of speaking...I personally love Scottish, Irish, Geordie and Devon/Cornwall accents - probably better not mention those I dislike! What does annoy me is when people do get things wrong like saying "constonant" instead of "consonant" (see Countdown!) and I've noticed a lot of people now saying "sikth" instead of "sixth" - plus anyone saying OF instead of WITH, eg bored OF, just drives me insane! No doubt that too is now considered correct but not in our house!:angry:

Latest posts

Back