Quick question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We didn't have anything as fancy as that, but I remember tea was always made in a stainless steel teapot with a wooden handle (seen the exact teapot on Bargain hunt a few times) and we just poured it through a strainer, after warming the pot first and letting it stand for what seemed like forever! The strainer we used was also stainless steel and came with a little dish that collected all the spillage. The tea was stored in a plastic caddy with tea printed on it, I remember the plastic scoop that was inside. Lest I forget the sugar bowl with a hinged lid, stainless steel of course, I'd get told off for opening and closing the lid and using it as a talking puppet. I couldn't imagine dealing with all that faff nowadays! Bung a tea bag in a mug, and pour boiling water over it. We had a tea cosy, that I'd liked to wear on my head as a child and egg cosies too!
Still wouldn't spend £40 to keep my downstairs area fresh though!

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpeg
    IMG_3163.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 26
Apparently there is a positive post on the website from a Man who uses it.

But is he a man? "He" might be a trans man.

Or he actually might be a man with a penchant for feminine things I suppose. Bit like those men who leave reviews on M&S knickers (that they didn't buy for their partners) :sick:

Mum only ever used loose tea leaves, even in her 80’s. I can remember the tea pot and the strainer being used even when she was the only one having a cup of tea. She always set it out on a tray with a milk jug and sugar bowl, even though she didn’t take sugar.

I don’t drink tea very often but, when I do, it’s either ginger and lemon (no milk or sugar) or Yorkshire tea (no milk or sugar.) I’m not from Yorkshire (I’m a Southerner) but my partner is a born and bred Yorkshire guy, so I guess that’s why I prefer Yorkshire tea to other brands. A bit of solidarity. 😉

My nan used to use loose leaves. She'd make a brew first thing in her old tin pot then leave it warm in her little oven on legs ALL DAY! She'd top up leaves and water after pouring some then put it back in. It was the BEST tea I've ever tasted.

I`m from Lancashire and I love builders tea, as does Mr V. He`s an ex miner and there were no kettles, taps (or anything else) 2 miles underground and the heat was so unbearable many of the face workers would work in just their underwear, hard hat and lamp and their boots. Many of them became dehydrated so most of them took down a bottle of water and a billy can filled with strong black tea which they drank cold.
My Mum loved strong tea too and she refused to use teabags so she literally scooped a spoonful of loose tea into a mug and added lots of sugar but barely a drop of milk. The teapot only came out if we had visitors and we had to remember not to drain the cup unless we wanted a mouth full of tea leaves. When we went to visit her she never asked would we like a cup of tea but would we like a "brew" ?
Her one moan about the War was the rationing of sugar and tea, especially sugar because Mum had a very sweet tooth and would load her tea with 3 heaped spoons of sugar. She hated unsweetened tea and vowed to never run short of sugar again. When she died and I helped Dad empty the house ready to sell it, we found bags and bags and bags of sugar hidden away in the backs of cupboards and some of it had been there so long it was as hard as concrete.
As for the overpriced fanny wash, well some daft buggers will buy it but I won`t be one of them.

I get that certain soaps/bath products are a no no for some people’s nether regions but I’m pretty damn sure that there are more cost effective solutions out there! It might be in a fancy bottle and have lovely sounding ingredients but at the end of the day it’s for your chuff and its neighbour who lives at the bottom of the garden, and maybe wouldn’t create the ambiance of a strategically placed bottle of Molton Brown. Let’s face it, it’s gonna live in the bathroom cabinet with your Anusol and corn plasters!
I'm awaiting your review of the Qurio reviews for this product.. ...

You’ve got it in one. 😉 She also favoured a tea cosy on the pot.
Ah, now we're talking. One tea cosy (hand-knitted) keeps tea at the right temperature for ages and saves boiling another kettle. Very environmentally friendly. My mother never used one but mine is used daily. A few months ago on BBC Breakfast Charlie Stayt was surprised that people were still using them. Big mistake - they had to ask people to stop sending in their photos (mine was one of them) because they were inundated so it's very much a thing still. :):):)

Did she use an embroidered tea tray doily as well?

When guests came I can remember some kind of embroidered thing on the tray. I’m not sure if it was there when she was on her own. Needless to say, I haven‘t followed suit. When I make tea, it’s the tea bag into a mug and off we go. Give mum her due though, when she came round to my house, she happily drank a cuppa made with a tea bag, although it was always in a cup with a saucer …. never in a mug.

After she died, I inherited a full of a huge set of matching bone china …… dinner plates, side plates, dessert dishes, serving dishes, cups and saucers etc. My sideboard cupboards are full.

When the ex comes round he always wants his tea in one of the bone china cups, with the saucer, so mum’s way of serving tea clearly made an impact on him. 😉

There is a review from hyacinth about this on Qurio 🤣
OMG!!! I thought you were having a laugh AND She's reviewing it from the bathroom. Well you'll be pleased to know that she feels very comfortable after using it. I guess we should be thankful that she didn't say "I've just washed "Sheila" and she said thank you!!! Or worse still a live demo! She has also reviewed a big bottle of SBC collagen gel which is exactly the same as the one I bought a while ago brand new in a charity shop for £2.99 - It's alright but I wouldn't rave about it. She said she got it for a present but has only just started using it and according to her it works wonders, so she's just spent another £28 on another set of their products, another £50 on a square of fabric from Marla, and of course the £20 odd quid for the douche. I hope this lady finds what she's looking for, sadly she won't find it on QVC!

Last edited:
I`m from Lancashire and I love builders tea, as does Mr V. He`s an ex miner and there were no kettles, taps (or anything else) 2 miles underground and the heat was so unbearable many of the face workers would work in just their underwear, hard hat and lamp and their boots. Many of them became dehydrated so most of them took down a bottle of water and a billy can filled with strong black tea which they drank cold.
My Mum loved strong tea too and she refused to use teabags so she literally scooped a spoonful of loose tea into a mug and added lots of sugar but barely a drop of milk. The teapot only came out if we had visitors and we had to remember not to drain the cup unless we wanted a mouth full of tea leaves. When we went to visit her she never asked would we like a cup of tea but would we like a "brew" ?
Her one moan about the War was the rationing of sugar and tea, especially sugar because Mum had a very sweet tooth and would load her tea with 3 heaped spoons of sugar. She hated unsweetened tea and vowed to never run short of sugar again. When she died and I helped Dad empty the house ready to sell it, we found bags and bags and bags of sugar hidden away in the backs of cupboards and some of it had been there so long it was as hard as concrete.
As for the overpriced fanny wash, well some daft buggers will buy it but I won`t be one of them.
Hubby did his engineering apprenticeship underground with NCB but he took water down he's not a fan of "stewed"tea or any tea to be honest.

Latest posts

Back