Random Musings and Critiques Etc.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rob Locke would be worth watching even if he had nothing to sell. An amusing and above all, a self-effacing (in the modest sense) guy. What I can’t do is watch him featuring just one or two products for the whole broadcast- despite his own personal entertainment and engagement factors.

I had hoped they would have branched out a little product wise from drones, pillows, and Polti by now. It would have been good to see Grant Bradley reappear as a Tech Expert for the channel. Although I think he posted recently to the effect that he’d moved on to something different from those types of on screen roles? That said, serious tech in general (even on QVC) seems an endangered product species these days. No worthwhile margins in it, maybe?
Grant_Bradley_and_Rob_Locke_Arsing_About_on_ITV_Ideal_World.gif

The 'plugged in' Mike Saint on or Bamix Mike as I know him is flogging a vacuum cleaner. He refers to his own one that he's had for 15 years as 'Trigger's Brush' the Only Fools and Horses character. I love Mike. I'm not sure he is what folks would expect at this time of day but he literally went berserk sucking up a bowling ball. He's always on the verge of bursting a blood vessel

I’m being obtuse- obviously!
No, not at all.

I'm a "never say never" when it comes to doing more presenting - there was a period of over three years where I was away from Ideal World and then one day the phone rang again...

...it's just not rang recently, that's all.

With respect, I would hate to see you on the current, I woke up in a nightmare version of Ideal World. You need something more credible with its presentations. I can’t see you wanting to price compare a Mac Book with a Sinclair Spectrum.

No, not at all.

I'm a "never say never" when it comes to doing more presenting - there was a period of over three years where I was away from Ideal World and then one day the phone rang again...

...it's just not rang recently, that's all.
It would be great to see you back with Rob at Shop On TV, maybe a good excuse to get some decent gear on there ;)

I've been saying it wrong all these years. I was sure Mike Saint pronounced it BAH-mix, but now we're saying 'BAY-mix'

According to the guy demonstrating the Bamix, it doesn't matter if you pronounce it Bahmix or Baymix, there's no right or wrong apparently.

According to Google it's Bahmix.
According to the guy demonstrating on the official website it's Bahmix.
According to Gordon Ramsay it's Bahmix.

It's safe to conclude the correct pronunciation is Bahmix but hey, selly telly doesn't give a flip as long as you buy one ;)

That's who I was watching and thinking Mike Saint was on Shop On TV the other day, should have brought him back, he's more entertaining. He comes across like he's not into Rob's silly sense of humour
I understand where you're coming from. John's eagerness to finish as many demonstrations as possible within his allotted time often leads him to ignore what's happening around him. I always liked John's approach on IW2 because I want to see what the product is capable of doing, before considering buying it.

I understand where you're coming from. John's eagerness to finish as many demonstrations as possible within his allotted time often leads him to ignore what's happening around him. I always liked John's approach on IW2 because I want to see what the product is capable of doing, before considering buying it.
Yeah he's very good at showing what the product can do and really knows his stuff.

Have to say I caught the very end of Rob's shift the other day. I have been having trouble sleeping and it tickled me when he said along the lines of 'my director wouldn't cut me of in the middle of a...' perfectly timed fade out. I heard Rob jokingly/not jokingly say Shop On TV is his way of being able to interact with viewers on random topics based off a pitch idea he had. I think a couple of hours of Rob musing on things and viewers texting in on ITV is a really fun idea.

John Campbell is one of the best demonstrators of products on shopping television I have seen over the years. Knowledgeable and keen to avoid the BS and just get on with giving viewers an informed choice. You see the hapless results on IW with products being introduced to the presenters of them on-air. Compare that to what he does and you see the benefits of preparation and in turn passing these on to the buyers watching.

Latest posts

Back