Shay & Blue Perfume Collection TSV 11/10/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Fragrance is such a minefield!
Fragrances I love on others smell utterly vile on me. The heavier the fragrance, the more extraordinarily hideous (Opium was a particular stinker).
I have less than fond memories of my mother doused in Ma Griffe by Carven - I literally couldn't be in the same room as her and breathe! I did raid her perfume stash regularly, however, and she had some lovely fragrances - even including Chanel No.5 which she never wore herself... Rochas Femme (pre-reformulation) I just nicked entirely as it suited me far better than her. I also was very fond of Magie by Lancôme (which disappeared to be replaced by Magie Noir, which was an entirely different beast).

I don't wear a lot of fragrance, but I like both Clarins Eau Dynamisante and Eau Ressourcant: both very light and "pick me up" fragrances to my nose. I'm also eking out my precious L'Occitane Myrte which is no longer made. Out of the Liz Earle fragrances I only like No.1. Back in the day I really liked Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue and Paloma Picasso but I expect they would be too strong for me now. Also liked L'Eau d'Issy by Issy Miyake, and Davidoff's Cool Water Woman. Made a HUGE mistake with YSL Paris - smelled lovely and parma violet-ish in the bottle, but just rank on me. I gave it away to a friend with better-suited skin chemistry. If there is a theme at all to the fragrances which I can consistently go back to it tends to be a citrus-floral mix... no idea how that sits in fragrance families. I find fig fragrances impossible, and can't really imagine wanting to smell like deadly nightshade (atropa belladonna), so wasn't tempted by this TSV. I'll have to have a good old sniff at their other offerings next time I'm in a big enough Marks & Spencer.

My point from all this rambling is that your brain and nose can tell you a fragrance is lovely, but ultimately scent sensitivity and your body chemistry will always dictate what you can wear. Something unpromising on others may smell utterly delicious on you, and something which others find is like human catnip is more like cat-pee on you. You just have to keep trying them out to find a keeper.

I hope those who have gone for this love it and aren't disappointed.

Fragrance is such a minefield!
Fragrances I love on others smell utterly vile on me. The heavier the fragrance, the more extraordinarily hideous (Opium was a particular stinker).
I have less than fond memories of my mother doused in Ma Griffe by Carven - I literally couldn't be in the same room as her and breathe! I did raid her perfume stash regularly, however, and she had some lovely fragrances - even including Chanel No.5 which she never wore herself... Rochas Femme (pre-reformulation) I just nicked entirely as it suited me far better than her. I also was very fond of Magie by Lancôme (which disappeared to be replaced by Magie Noir, which was an entirely different beast).

I don't wear a lot of fragrance, but I like both Clarins Eau Dynamisante and Eau Ressourcant: both very light and "pick me up" fragrances to my nose. I'm also eking out my precious L'Occitane Myrte which is no longer made. Out of the Liz Earle fragrances I only like No.1. Back in the day I really liked Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue and Paloma Picasso but I expect they would be too strong for me now. Also liked L'Eau d'Issy by Issy Miyake, and Davidoff's Cool Water Woman. Made a HUGE mistake with YSL Paris - smelled lovely and parma violet-ish in the bottle, but just rank on me. I gave it away to a friend with better-suited skin chemistry. If there is a theme at all to the fragrances which I can consistently go back to it tends to be a citrus-floral mix... no idea how that sits in fragrance families. I find fig fragrances impossible, and can't really imagine wanting to smell like deadly nightshade (atropa belladonna), so wasn't tempted by this TSV. I'll have to have a good old sniff at their other offerings next time I'm in a big enough Marks & Spencer.

My point from all this rambling is that your brain and nose can tell you a fragrance is lovely, but ultimately scent sensitivity and your body chemistry will always dictate what you can wear. Something unpromising on others may smell utterly delicious on you, and something which others find is like human catnip is more like cat-pee on you. You just have to keep trying them out to find a keeper.

I hope those who have gone for this love it and aren't disappointed.

If you still like L'Eau d'Issey, you should try an M&S one which is (to me) almost identical. I think it's called Aqua (Autograph range) now - it used to be called Isis but they changed the name (can't think why!!). I had a bottle about 15 years ago and it even had a similar shape to the Issey Miyake one.

I've enjoyed reading others likes and dislikes in fragrance, and some of the names thrown up bring back memories. Ones .I've worn over the years have been Chloe, Estee lauder Spellbound and Pleasures, Amarige, Elizabeth Arden Green Tea, Oscar de la renta, Landore Miracle, CK One, L'occitane cherry blossom, Jo Malone white jasmine and mint, one of my faves. Countless more whose names I can't remember. I never liked Poison, Anais Anais, Lou Lou, obsession, Angel, Aromatics. Current bottles on the go are Liz Earle No 1, M&S maison de senteurs fleur orangier (a repeat buy) and L'occitane rose de nuit (only recently opened despite having had it for years)

If you still like L'Eau d'Issey, you should try an M&S one which is (to me) almost identical. I think it's called Aqua (Autograph range) now - it used to be called Isis but they changed the name (can't think why!!). I had a bottle about 15 years ago and it even had a similar shape to the Issey Miyake one.

I absolutely loved the M&s London but they took it off with no notice so I couldn't buy up a stash. For ages I trawled every outlet and eBay to no avail. Probably wouldn't like it now.

There is one particular fragrance note in Thierry Mugler Angel which is quite offensive and dominant. I tried very hard to like it but couldn't sit beside anyone (myself included) when wearing it. Rampant B. O. would be preferable, in my opinion!

I agree with you. I am a big fan of Issey and thought Isis was a good match, if without the staying power. When it vanished off the shelves I was very worried it had gone for good but it came back as Aqua. They also do Azure Breeze which is apparently a dead ringer for a Dolce and Gabanna perfume. I think both are great for daytime, or just if you want something on at home. For me they aren't strong enough for a night out and at 100ml a bit too big to carry around. I am currently using Diva by Ungaro as my going out perfume.... there's strong for you!!!!!! At least they still make it. I get fed up when I find a perfume and think this is it, for life! I am still scarred by the loss of Dior Dior and DIorella. You can get them in a sort of exclusive range (too dear!) but not in duty free shops. A friend of mine travelled all the time for work after I stopped and had a standing order to buy me DIorella at a bargain price. After at least five years of this she got fed up of me banging on about it and we did some research only to discover it was out of circulation. Oops!

I once worked with someone who drowned themselves in Obsession. You could smell her walking down the corridor and the 2 people who shared an office with her were forever complaining how her perfume gave them a headache and how she reapplied it during the day.
Sorry if anybody likes it but I simply cannot stand the smell of Thierry Mugler , Angel perfume. I`ve just returned from holiday and someone sitting close to me on the plane reeked of it. It`s a perfume which literally makes me gag.

Reminds me of when I worked with 3 young lasses back in the late 80's. Walking into the office at 9 am to be met with a mixture of Poison, Anais Anais and Paris, made me feel nauseous - just what you needed before the coffee break.

I agree with you. I am a big fan of Issey and thought Isis was a good match, if without the staying power. When it vanished off the shelves I was very worried it had gone for good but it came back as Aqua. They also do Azure Breeze which is apparently a dead ringer for a Dolce and Gabanna perfume. I think both are great for daytime, or just if you want something on at home. For me they aren't strong enough for a night out and at 100ml a bit too big to carry around. I am currently using Diva by Ungaro as my going out perfume.... there's strong for you!!!!!! At least they still make it. I get fed up when I find a perfume and think this is it, for life! I am still scarred by the loss of Dior Dior and DIorella. You can get them in a sort of exclusive range (too dear!) but not in duty free shops. A friend of mine travelled all the time for work after I stopped and had a standing order to buy me DIorella at a bargain price. After at least five years of this she got fed up of me banging on about it and we did some research only to discover it was out of circulation. Oops!

Awww, Mazza, my lovely late Mum used to wear Diorella, it was her signature perfume and such a classy scent :) you're right though, it's come back as one of those £100 (for what used to be about the half the price for the same size) exclusive jobbies and I'd put money on the fact it's been reformulated.

I used to love Estee Lauder Azuree and of course they did exactly the same thing to that and it no longer has it's previous wow factor :(

I smile when I think back to my younger self, when I had a dozen bottles of perfume on the go. Most so strong that you could have detected them in the next street. :mysmilie_17:

Hormonal changes are responsible for my intolerance of such scents now...apparently, or so I have read in perfume articles. Hence my one and only perfume I stick with.
I remember wearing Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir perfume late 90s, everyone complimented me on that. Couldn't wear it now, but I think it's disappeared anyway.

Am I hallucinating or was there an ingredient in those older pukka perfumes that they can't use now, so even if they still made it the scent would be slightly different with people saying "it's not what it was!"? I'm thinking civet, but could well be completely wrong. I'm sure something like this has been discussed on here before.....

I think it was oakmoss which was banned a couple of years ago. All down to EU rules because some people had an allergy to it.

Oakmoss was changed to treemoss. Though Guerlain have done a brilliant job with Mitsouko. Musk was banned in the 80s, the musk deer is an endangered animal so synthetic since then. Civet the last farm closed some time ago and synthetic now. I do not have a problem with them using synthetic rather than some poor animal. Sandalwood the best is Mysore but that is not allowed now the trees are protected, so its Australian which is not as good. Bergamot again companies changed to a cheaper version.

Quite a few on the forums hunt down vintage perfumes but its hit or miss whether it has turned I have a pre 1989 Rochas Femme pdt which is wonderful, also Caron Fleurs de Rocaille from 1960 in extract again wonderful.

Just received mine. Very nicely boxed, looks classy and will make a nice gift. Had a teeny spritz of the Black Tulip, not my sort of fragrance at all, very fruity and strong on vanilla, but my friend will like it. Haven't tried the main fragrance yet, but suspect that will be more my type.

I smile when I think back to my younger self, when I had a dozen bottles of perfume on the go. Most so strong that you could have detected them in the next street. :mysmilie_17:

Hormonal changes are responsible for my intolerance of such scents now...apparently, or so I have read in perfume articles. Hence my one and only perfume I stick with.
I remember wearing Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir perfume late 90s, everyone complimented me on that. Couldn't wear it now, but I think it's disappeared anyway.
Funny enough I saw Boudoir in house of Fraser yesterday and I like it. I used to like midnight poison by Dior but not the other "poison" scents, sadly they don't make that anymore

Latest posts

Back