Staff shortages

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Deasmum

Registered Shopper
So I have just tuned in to watch Gem Collector and it has a message on the website saying that "due to staff shortages" they will not be on air today. It seems that the shortage is affecting the rest of Gemporia because today Milly Griffith was doing the morning show and now she is on Lifestyle.
What's wrong with Gemporia and its staff?

I'm wondering if the presenters are jumping ship? The number of 'silent auctions' is testament to the seriousness of the problem.

They must be embarrassed by being expected to flog junk with some overweight middle aged man banging on for hours, or an excitable young girl alongside them talking over them.

Many of them joined a channel whose USP was, 'we're intrepid gem explorers, we go to the ends of the earth to bring you rare and beautiful stones'. The Presenters would proudly tell us that they were 'qualified jewellery professionals' .....and now they're being expected to flog cheap market stall tat hour after hour.
I'd feel like I'd taken my expertise and professionalism to John Lewis and ended up working on the till in Poundland.

Drew has already withdrawn, we're seeing less and less of the serious and knowledgeable presenters and more of the aforementioned excitable young girls who are quickly assigned an area of 'expertise' which they didn't have when they walked through the doors a week earlier.

My bet is also that they're commission based - and who's buying? Certainly no one who has any interest in decent jewellery. The offerings now are so very obviously dated, cheap, included, fissure filled, low metal weight junk. Are people buying yet more cheap scarves? wearing layers of cheap make-up? buying over-priced candles/sweets/whatever bits of tat SB has sourced from China - and all with P&P attached. Purses are being emptied by rising fuel and food costs. People are spending their spare cash more cannily. Gemporia is no longer the place to look for that special piece of jewellery for a special occasion. All the necessary details (the 4C's for instance) are obfuscated and/or completely hidden (because they're invariably such low grade) in favour of 'this is from our XXXX collection!'...who cares?!

The presenters are withdrawing along with the customer base. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before it all falls over.

I'm wondering if the presenters are jumping ship? The number of 'silent auctions' is testament to the seriousness of the problem.

They must be embarrassed by being expected to flog junk with some overweight middle aged man banging on for hours, or an excitable young girl alongside them talking over them.

Many of them joined a channel whose USP was, 'we're intrepid gem explorers, we go to the ends of the earth to bring you rare and beautiful stones'. The Presenters would proudly tell us that they were 'qualified jewellery professionals' .....and now they're being expected to flog cheap market stall tat hour after hour.
I'd feel like I'd taken my expertise and professionalism to John Lewis and ended up working on the till in Poundland.

Drew has already withdrawn, we're seeing less and less of the serious and knowledgeable presenters and more of the aforementioned excitable young girls who are quickly assigned an area of 'expertise' which they didn't have when they walked through the doors a week earlier.

My bet is also that they're commission based - and who's buying? Certainly no one who has any interest in decent jewellery. The offerings now are so very obviously dated, cheap, included, fissure filled, low metal weight junk. Are people buying yet more cheap scarves? wearing layers of cheap make-up? buying over-priced candles/sweets/whatever bits of tat SB has sourced from China - and all with P&P attached. Purses are being emptied by rising fuel and food costs. People are spending their spare cash more cannily. Gemporia is no longer the place to look for that special piece of jewellery for a special occasion. All the necessary details (the 4C's for instance) are obfuscated and/or completely hidden (because they're invariably such low grade) in favour of 'this is from our XXXX collection!'...who cares?!

The presenters are withdrawing along with the customer base. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before it all falls over.
It's interesting that you mentioned expertise and lack of thereof because I noticed that the new wave of presenters like Claire, the excitable young girl, that we see both on Gemporia main and lifestyle, are selling jewellery without being AJP from the GIA. During Gem Collector's breaks they run old videos alongside newer ones and one old I spotted was basically the presenters pointing out that they were AJP from the GIA and that the audience could "expect expertise". I guess that's not a priority anymore

I don't mind the costume pieces at all, but of course I'm not paying over the odds at prime time now they'll use just about any excuse not to credit you with the difference if it goes cheaper.

So I have just tuned in to watch Gem Collector and it has a message on the website saying that "due to staff shortages" they will not be on air today. It seems that the shortage is affecting the rest of Gemporia because today Milly Griffith was doing the morning show and now she is on Lifestyle.
What's wrong with Gemporia and its staff?
Yep Mills has been on every morning. What staff shortages, surely no one has left, they must just be on holiday. When I stared watching during the pandemic, they had oodles of presenters, I know Ruth does less now but Kate was on maternity leave as I didn’t get to know her until she returned. Haven't seen Lindsay Carr in ages. Jim and Hattie on the evening shows, doesn’t work, I switch over. They aren’t prime time tv. Huge mistake. Maybe Rachel’s return might improve things.

To be honest, I only found Gems (and TJC) while working from home during the pandemic. I did spend a lot in the first year but now feel I have everything and have exhausted their range. You get to know the routine with Gems…selling stuff on Monday that was “best of the weekend“. I’m fussy about jewellery, only wear silver and like only diamonds and blue gemstones, so not much else I need.

The over selling of scarves is nauseating and hard to watch. I guess every price correctly. Surely people don't buy everything? The kaftans were awful clingy material and the two I bought were returned.

Destello seems to have died down, which is good, as it was nonstop every week, with more bags and scarves. The clothing range is appalling, Ange would never wear those silk clingy blouses! Hattie is not a designer and like Marla Wynne and Ruth Langsford on QVC, base their range on their own size and shape.

I heard today Hattie is going to India to meet with some fabric makers.

Yep Mills has been on every morning. What staff shortages, surely no one has left, they must just be on holiday. When I stared watching during the pandemic, they had oodles of presenters, I know Ruth does less now but Kate was on maternity leave as I didn’t get to know her until she returned. Haven't seen Lindsay Carr in ages. Jim and Hattie on the evening shows, doesn’t work, I switch over. They aren’t prime time tv. Huge mistake. Maybe Rachel’s return might improve things.

To be honest, I only found Gems (and TJC) while working from home during the pandemic. I did spend a lot in the first year but now feel I have everything and have exhausted their range. You get to know the routine with Gems…selling stuff on Monday that was “best of the weekend“. I’m fussy about jewellery, only wear silver and like only diamonds and blue gemstones, so not much else I need.

The over selling of scarves is nauseating and hard to watch. I guess every price correctly. Surely people don't buy everything? The kaftans were awful clingy material and the two I bought were returned.

Destello seems to have died down, which is good, as it was nonstop every week, with more bags and scarves. The clothing range is appalling, Ange would never wear those silk clingy blouses! Hattie is not a designer and like Marla Wynne and Ruth Langsford on QVC, base their range on their own size and shape.

I heard today Hattie is going to India to meet with some fabric makers.
Lindsay Carr has been on holiday, Milly has been covering her shifts.

Angeline must be on holidays too because Kate is currently doing the shift from 11am to 3pm and then, according to the schedule, her own shift from 3pm to 7pm.

So no shortages then lol. They’re always on holiday, must be getting paid a fortune!
My mother keeps saying the exact same thing: that they must be paid a fortune. Oh, the envy 😜

Angeline must be on holidays too because Kate is currently doing the shift from 11am to 3pm and then, according to the schedule, her own shift from 3pm to 7pm.
Ange is just back, said the other day about Dubai with Hattie

Well, Angeline has been away this week, so perhaps she is working behind the scenes. Amelia and Lindsey seem to have deserted the morning show because they continue to have stand ins, today being Jess Foley. Apparently Vicki Carroll will be replacing those who do the 3pm to 7pm shift today and tomorrow. They are worse than my GP who is always away on annual leave! My boss would send me on a one way trip to the Job Centre if I took so much time off!

Well, Angeline has been away this week, so perhaps she is working behind the scenes. Amelia and Lindsey seem to have deserted the morning show because they continue to have stand ins, today being Jess Foley. Apparently Vicki Carroll will be replacing those who do the 3pm to 7pm shift today and tomorrow. They are worse than my GP who is always away on annual leave! My boss would send me on a one way trip to the Job Centre if I took so much time off!
Angeline was on one of her two days this week.

Lynn should have been in 3-7pm today, she was yesterday.

Latest posts

Back