What have you bought that you don't use?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My OH is a Civil Engineer and knows about tips and stuff ( or recyling plants as they are now known) he always says the most common sight on tips is, besides matresses, exercise equipment! I once bought some thing from IW that was meant to tone my arms and guess where that went!

Re lock & lock, I have a lot lids that don't fit the pots and vice versa.

I have bought so much crap and everytime I see JML items in stupidmarkets it reminds me how much shopping channel rubbish I have bought, I'm not even mentioning the pig shaped lamps!

Last edited:
As I've posted several times over the years in different threads, you don't need to keep buying sachets. I am now on the 560th litre from just one packet from over 2 years ago. You can also make it from shop-bought yogurt as a starter.

How do you do it?

I always get lured in by kitchen gadgets. I bought the v slicer because I really wanted the gadget that could spiral a cucumber - I need to get a life!!

You're not alone my lovely! :blush:I keep looking for an evening class where I can learn how to make pretty flowers out of radishes! :sun:

As I've posted several times over the years in different threads, you don't need to keep buying sachets. I am now on the 560th litre from just one packet from over 2 years ago. You can also make it from shop-bought yogurt as a starter.

How do you do it?

For some reason I am not allowed to search all my posts, as I was going to copy and paste from the last time I posted the method. If you can search my posts, perhaps you can find it and paste it here. It would only be in QVC or IW.

You don't need to buy anything to make yoghurt, apart from one small pot of anybody's live natural yoghurt to start you off.
You just need to add a teaspoonful to warm milk, you can boil it first then let it cool a bit to be on the safe side. Then just put it in a container & keep it warm for 24 hours, a wide necked thermos works well or just a bowl in the airing cupboard.
Then you can add fruit or whatever you want.

You can then start every subsequent batch with a bit of the plain stuff you have left.

Just using a similar method, on a bigger scale, I used to make gallons to sell when we had a herd of goats.

You don't need to buy anything to make yoghurt, apart from one small pot of anybody's live natural yoghurt to start you off.
You just need to add a teaspoonful to warm milk, you can boil it first then let it cool a bit to be on the safe side. Then just put it in a container & keep it warm for 24 hours, a wide necked thermos works well or just a bowl in the airing cupboard.
Then you can add fruit or whatever you want.

You can then start every subsequent batch with a bit of the plain stuff you have left.

Just using a similar method, on a bigger scale, I used to make gallons to sell when we had a herd of goats.

I use 10% of my previous batch to make the next one. I suspect I could use a lot less, but haven't tried it yet as I don't want to end up with just a pot of milk for breakfast!

I use UHT milk as this is already sterile, so no need to boil it first.

How big a pot did you make with your 1 teaspoon so I can work out the percentage?

ALSO, sometimes I get 1/2 inch water on the top, other times I don't, and have never found out why - - do you know?

Originally Posted by Breeze
"You don't need to buy anything to make yoghurt, apart from one small pot of anybody's live natural yoghurt to start you off.
You just need to add a teaspoonful to warm milk, you can boil it first then let it cool a bit to be on the safe side. Then just put it in a container & keep it warm for 24 hours, a wide necked thermos works well or just a bowl in the airing cupboard."

How much milk do you add?

A teaspoon of yoghurt will activate a pint of milk.
It will be ready after 24 hours but the longer you let it work the thicker it will get.

You can prevent the watery stuff, whey, from forming on the top, if you want, by adding a dessert spoon of powdered dried skimmed milk to every two pints of milk when you are starting it off, it doesn't affect the flavour. Or you can just pour the whey off.

Getting back to topic, and copied from another thread - - -

..... Another item from QVC I never use these days is a steriliser for small fruit etc.

It consists of a small bowl permanently mounted on the powered base. You put the fruit in the bowl with some water and switch on. It then sterilises using UV light and ionisation (you can smell the ionised air/ozone).

I used it at first, but the bowl can't be removed for washing, and obviously the whole thing cannot be immersed for cleaning. It was an OTO and was a very reasonable price.

Latest posts

Back