Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Warning: What I'm about to write may offend or upset some people. When we were locked up last November I was talking to a lady in a queue about the FC. She was nicely spoken, smartly dressed & obviously well educated so I was surprised when she asked "Where's a terrorist when you want one?"
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I am not transbluishphobic

Cartoon white panel on car jgjjug.jpg

Any possibility that all the zlisters taking up 99% of screen time will run out of fuel and give us all a break.

Seriously hope those who really need it are coping ok. I was on a motoring holiday during a petrol shortage and it was a nightmare as we had to save enough fuel to get us back to the boat so we were scared to go anywhere.

My Mr T's going to Scotland tomorrow on a climbing trip, he's picking up his friend at Glasgow airport then travelling north. They're both mad.

At the risk of villifying the media, I really think they have some culpability in the current fuel situation. They have talked up a relatively minor situation into a full-blown problem, then rock up to report on it! Mainly it's affecting urban areas... and human nature being what it is, we have a situation where there is foolish panic buying of fuel and now people who actually need to refuel can't.
I have the good fortune to be able to work from home, so I am not bothered for now...and I'm hoping things will have calmed down by Saturday. Last Saturday was utter madness at one petrol station on a slip road off a roundabout. Total gridlock, fraying tempers and immobile vehicles of all shapes and sizes... for over 20 minutes unless you needed to use the slip road (in which case, an hour at least). Those who are in electric vehicles, cyclists and non-drivers who use public transport are only affected by some of the madness that seems to descend on people.. where the goods in short supply must be got, even by those who currently have no need.
Toilet paper at the start of the pandemic, now this!

I can remember years ago when we were issued with petrol rationing books, when the last fuel issue happened, but they were never needed as things returned to normal.

Bearing in mind that they said, on the radio this morning, that it could take weeks to sort out the deliveries to the garages then maybe those groups who are important (ambulances, police etc etc) could be given some kind of pass to enable them to get to the front of the queue. Those who are queuing up to fill up Jerry cans or just stick a fiver in their tank can go right to the back of the queue, because it is those people who are aggravating the situation when the needs of others are far more important.

Iā€™ve no doubt that those who are just filling up for the sake of it are the same people who have a house full of toilet rolls and who pile their trolleys up at Christmas with enough food to last them weeks when shops are only closed for a couple of days.

Now a shortage of turkeys and Christmas food has been mentioned I can envisualise that the petrol queues will be substituted by queues in the supermarkets. My son has already said that if he canā€™t get Christmas food then weā€™ll just have beans on toast or the like, because being together is more important than stuffing oneā€™s face and I agree 100%.

While rationing seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, it would at least give a veneer of equitability to accessing whatever is in short supply.
Saying key workers get priority is just not practical when the vehicles already there are blocking access.
We would need the police in attendance on every forecourt...possibly in large numbers, also managing traffic around the forecourts.
Plus how do people provide proof?

At least (most) people are unable to stockpile petrol, and common sense will prevent the majority from trying to use unsuitable containers. Many do not realise the fumes are as flammable as the liquid...
Waiting for reports of criminals targeting farms for red diesel... where there's a shortage, there's an opportunity for criminals to take advantage.

Mr V works as a part time taxi driver. He starts works at 5.30 am and works until lunch time. His early pickups tend to be people who work in hospitals or care homes, or those coming off night shifts and also other people who simply don`t own a car and get a taxi to their jobs in supermarkets, the local Amazon warehouse or wherever.
From around 8am to 10 am many of his fares are those with medical appointments and most of his regulars tend to be quite elderly. He has really struggled to get fuel for his taxi and today he had to refuse an elderly man who`d had 2 knee replacements and needed a taxi for an appointment in Manchester. He simply didn`t have enough fuel to get there and back.
The whole thing has been made worse by people filling their cars when they didn`t need to, many of which sit on drives or do a 1 or 2 mile trip dropping kids off at school and those people filling jerry cans and stockpiling fuel.

There has been talk of a shortage of lorry drivers for months so why has the fuel issue only now happened?

Could it be so we take our attention off the government, as some minister said just after the 911 terrorist attack/ now would be a very good time to bury bad news.

A guy that I kind of know who loves a conspiracy theory is convinced that because people have been using and buying less fuel than normal in the last 18 months or so that the government has organised this panic buying in an effort to sell all the fuel that is coming close to its expiry date before it has to be removed from sale and wasted.
I donā€™t even know if petrol actually has an expiry date to be honest, but heā€™s adamant that heā€™s correct and no amount of discussion is going to change his mind.

A guy that I kind of know who loves a conspiracy theory is convinced that because people have been using and buying less fuel than normal in the last 18 months or so that the government has organised this panic buying in an effort to sell all the fuel that is coming close to its expiry date before it has to be removed from sale and wasted.
I donā€™t even know if petrol actually has an expiry date to be honest, but heā€™s adamant that heā€™s correct and no amount of discussion is going to change his mind.
Both petrol and diesel can go 'off' but it depends on how it is stored how long it's shelf life is.

At the risk of villifying the media, I really think they have some culpability in the current fuel situation. They have talked up a relatively minor situation into a full-blown problem, then rock up to report on it! Mainly it's affecting urban areas... and human nature being what it is, we have a situation where there is foolish panic buying of fuel and now people who actually need to refuel can't.
I have the good fortune to be able to work from home, so I am not bothered for now...and I'm hoping things will have calmed down by Saturday. Last Saturday was utter madness at one petrol station on a slip road off a roundabout. Total gridlock, fraying tempers and immobile vehicles of all shapes and sizes... for over 20 minutes unless you needed to use the slip road (in which case, an hour at least). Those who are in electric vehicles, cyclists and non-drivers who use public transport are only affected by some of the madness that seems to descend on people.. where the goods in short supply must be got, even by those who currently have no need.
Toilet paper at the start of the pandemic, now this!
Please don't worry about vilifying the media, in my opinion it's responsible for the current panic buying & descent into yet another national crisis. I also believe that for the last 18 months the government has clearly encouraged all areas of the media to continuously spread fear over covid & it appears that journalists are continuing to roll out the bad news stories.

Latest posts

Back