Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't follow that logic 🤔 The watches IW sell might be fine 'if you take them as a £30 watch' but how do I do that? They don't sell for them £30, they sell them for several hundreds…

But to add to my comment — I'd have a hard time reconciling buying anything from IW now - whether that's a £9.99 silicon torch or a "exquisite" £1,299 Tourbillon watch with the name of whatever defunct British department store Pappa Field's has suddenly remembered today.

Ideal World (TJC) are shysters.

Hour after hour, day after day, they appear on screen to wilfully, actively, and repeatedly exploit the vulnerable and the gullible by lying, mis-selling, hiding information, making ridiculous price comparisons, wacko inferences "well it could be designer, doesn't say it isn't", "Kate Middleton wore something very, and I mean very, similar to this", etc.

For certain presenters, CLUNK! — finger goes down on the play button, tape-worn "rush, hurry, and pressure" tactics begin. What makes it so much worse is that these people appear on screen telling people they're being honest! That they're on our side! They're our friends! All, and I really do mean this, to …make us buy things that are almost always overpriced, sub-par, and making them profits to continue.

The only upside is most items they sell aren't "considered purchases" so it's hard to feel aggrieved on behalf of those wasting £10, £25, £50.

But in the case of the watches… don't get me started! There are blokes of a certain age out there who - you can blame them personally, sure - who have spent considerable amounts of money (to them) buying far-east Swan & Edgar, Mathey Tissot, etc type watches on the basis they're valuable heirlooms. Those blokes are believing what people like Peter Simon tell them: something to leave the family when you die, immense value, put it on the insurance… Preying on that instinct is so… Nasty.

I don't care if people buy overpriced cheap Chinese watches pretending to be British brands because they like the look, but the whole "investment" angle - they can't use that term, just like TJC can't use it when flogging low-quality gold to middle-aged women hence the patter of 'gold prices are rising, I can't say any more, but you can work out what I mean' —really irks me.

tl;dr: I'm not supporting a company that's so morally rotten

Last edited:
Also you guys are nuts if you think we only see certain items (walking cane, security light bulbs, torches, etc) over and over because they ARE selling.

That simply does not make sense with this incarnation of IW.

TJC finds, buys, and imports items from China and puts them in their warehouse(s).

So if TJC imports 10,000 walking canes from China, or buys a job lot of 5,000 Gammon box sets, it's paid upfront for them. It needs to recoup costs, and they are stuck in the warehouse taking up space until they sell (or can be offloaded through some other deal).

If something IS selling well on TJC/IW you'll know because you'll stop seeing it on air 😉.

Old IW operated differently. Most items it sold were via contracts with suppliers and, I imagine much like other businesses, etc, those contracts included performance clauses, i.e. "if we bring this to air and it doesn't sell X in 2 shows, you take your stock back".

Hence why flop items like the Aqua Tube and Air Plants got only 1 or 2 shows.

Last edited:
According to IW I'm a prolific texter, yet i've only texted twice and neither were read out, probably couldn't handle their presenters being called out on their lies, so can anyone believe any of the texts being read out are actually real.
They seem to change your gender at will, Hammy - depending on how cross they are with us all.

Latest posts

Back