Charged twice, QVC denying it.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When it's a clerical or accounting glitch it's difficult for Trading Standards to take action where the retailer or bank acknowledges the problem and is seen to be addressing it. Being slow to remedy the glitch isn't the same as denying they've made any mistake (even if the CS madam is condescending). In OP's case the CS person should have been able to see that the double-payment had been made and refunded rather than implying Loujareth's double payment had never happened. Who trains these people?

they train themselves in the art of sculdugery. no sincere apologies.they did not even tell me i had to tell them and it was a sheepish you will get you money back next week.

Yeah, good point. Just imagine if they do this on a large scale, the interest earned would be considerable! They should always give a goodwill gesture as well as refunding the dosh, because they've hung on to your money without your consent and the error is their fault, not yours. Blurdy cheek if they don't - personally, being mean, I'd ask for something, just to rub their noses in it. But hey, this is the Wonderful World of Q, where Q are never, ever, in the wrong.

i got my money back nearly a week later. it was my money but it was taken off me by qvc who had an interest free loan at my expense. and the hundreds if not thousands of other customers:mysmilie_51:

mine was not refunded until the begining of the following week as suggested. mind you if qvc think its ok to do me out of my money who am i to grumble.

lou, go to your bank (as has been said on here), but also publicise it as much as you can (on here is a start, but other review websites, too). Write to Q to complain and demand they check into it, just saying "we've not done it" isn't enough - insist they reply in writing, not by phone. Citizens Advice (try their online Adviceguide website - just type 'Adviceguide' into Google) and Trading Standards, too.

Just to reassure, as mentioned in post #10 they had actually refunded me days later but all I could see was double on the day they withdrew it when looking at my statement. After that I rang them and they denied all, I posted here but I was out and about but eventually got to my bank, checked properly and there the refund was. It has opened my eyes up a bit to them though, they really have gone right down in my estimation because it obvious now the call centre woman had a sort of script to hand and maybe, I was one of many that had moaned about it since it happened but at no point did she mention that they had taken my money twice and then refunded. Her line of "well you'll have to prove it" was shocking, instantly making me look at fault. To top it all, this has happened before to me with Q, being charged twice and being refunded days later.

Just to reassure, as mentioned in post #10 they had actually refunded me days later but all I could see was double on the day they withdrew it when looking at my statement. After that I rang them and they denied all, I posted here but I was out and about but eventually got to my bank, checked properly and there the refund was. It has opened my eyes up a bit to them though, they really have gone right down in my estimation because it obvious now the call centre woman had a sort of script to hand and maybe, I was one of many that had moaned about it since it happened but at no point did she mention that they had taken my money twice and then refunded. Her line of "well you'll have to prove it" was shocking, instantly making me look at fault. To top it all, this has happened before to me with Q, being charged twice and being refunded days later.

I notice the money had been taken twice out of my account, i emailed customer services and received an apologetic email says that there had been a technical problem. Mind you I have not yet checked to see if my account has now been credited....

my two most recent interactions with them due to problems have been very disappointing
especially as it seems like they are trying to 'win' over you, the customer
like a sort of 'us and them' kind of attitude of warfare
this attitude seems to originate with their customer service supervisors and managers
i always stay calm and collected when making a complaint
but it definitely feels as if they high five each other
if they have 'won' against another customer

needless to say, they might crow in the short term about winning a 'battle' against the customer
but i am afraid that kind of attitude will only lead them to lose 'the war'

second favourite British Retailer,my backside.....:mysmilie_10:

They won't actually make very much in interest on these amounts of money they have taken twice so I'm sure it's not an intentional thing just good old incompetence. However if it makes anyone go overdrawn and pay bank charges then it would be extremely annoying and people would be justified in asking for compensation.

They won't actually make very much in interest on these amounts of money they have taken twice so I'm sure it's not an intentional thing just good old incompetence. However if it makes anyone go overdrawn and pay bank charges then it would be extremely annoying and people would be justified in asking for compensation.

I agree on both counts. Interest is a pittance these days for individuals. For businesses its truly shocking. So there's unlikely to be any positive for them in interest.

I also agree that compensation should be there for anyone inconvenienced by their mistake. I doubt they'll pay it but it further underlines to me that all on-line shopping should be done on a credit card. You're 110% protected if it is and the credit card companies will go after anyone who unlawfully takes a payment.

but they took quite a bit of money out of my account and deprived me of it for several days. i agree that interest is a pittance but as lilith has quite rightly said its a battle of the wits. they act like those mail order catalogues trying to catch thier customers out. forgetting the customer is just that a customer who keeps them in a job and gives them business. its not a them and us scenario its decency

my two most recent interactions with them due to problems have been very disappointing
especially as it seems like they are trying to 'win' over you, the customer
like a sort of 'us and them' kind of attitude of warfare
this attitude seems to originate with their customer service supervisors and managers
i always stay calm and collected when making a complaint
but it definitely feels as if they high five each other
if they have 'won' against another customer

needless to say, they might crow in the short term about winning a 'battle' against the customer
but i am afraid that kind of attitude will only lead them to lose 'the war'

second favourite British Retailer,my backside.....:mysmilie_10:

spot on lilith you can just imagine the scene

Now here's a thing. I had to phone Q last night as something I purchased doesn't work. The man said he would send a label for me to send back in the post. I asked why the post office, as it had been delivered by Hermes. He replied that anything under 1kg would need to go to the post office. When I asked why it had been sent by Hermes in the first place he couldn't answer. Could it be that it is more expensive for Hermes to collect but we get charged more if Hermes delivers?

lou, go to your bank (as has been said on here), but also publicise it as much as you can (on here is a start, but other review websites, too). Write to Q to complain and demand they check into it, just saying "we've not done it" isn't enough - insist they reply in writing, not by phone. Citizens Advice (try their online Adviceguide website - just type 'Adviceguide' into Google) and Trading Standards, too.

In the spirit of your suggestion I'd like to publicise my experience with Benefit, who I will never spend another penny with again. My partner ordered from them for my birthday, which is in May. He ordered the item in April. It never turned up, when we got hold of them weeks later they said it was out of stock, oversold (total incompetence) and they wouldn't get any more, ergo they could only offer a refund. SIX MONTHS later he still hasn't had a refund. We've tried calls, emails, complaining on the facebook page several times, twitter, everything... Most useless, incompetent company I've ever had dealings with, frankly. When after weeks you get hold of anybody, despite the fact they can read your previous email or have called you back because they're aware of your problem it's like a blank sheet of paper every time. You explain the whole thing again and they say they'll look into it and get back to you... several weeks later you start all over again. We spoke to trading standards, who themselves are pretty crap, but eventually they said they'd ordered Benefit to refund us. Surprise surprise, no refund appeared. Last month we got hold of a customer service manager, FINALLY, and thought that might be the end of it. Nope. There were 3 separate phone calls, each of which involved her assuring us the refund had been processed. Well that's funny, cos it never turned up. I am at an absolute loss and incredibly angry. Why the hell after being utterly useless and failing to send the order, or keep track of stock levels thus allowing things to oversell, do they then feel entitled to basically steal my partner's money? Absolutely disgusting and I cannot believe this is still going on. If I thought they'd care or do anything I'd call the police, as far as I'm concerned it's theft. Don't know what else to do, we've tried everything. Despicable company. We're trying and failing to get hold of trading standards again, they've vanished off the face of the earth for some reason. I just cannot believe a supposedly reputable company would help themselves to our money, give us no product, no refund, no communication most of the time, no nothing. They seem to feel entitled to keep it while giving us nothing. I'm both really angry and upset, what a lovely birthday present that is... and it's still the case half the year later!
Does anyone have any suggestions for what else to do? I've pretty much given up all hope of ever seeing that money again but don't see any reason why we shouldn't keep trying rather than just rolling over and letting them steal it. Like I said, they'll never see another penny from me.

small claims court. charge them for your letters, time, exasperation. usually just before the court date they cough up

The small claims court is sound advice. Or you can contact Rip Off Britain, Rogue Traders or one of those consumer programmes. Just a letter telling them you've done this could be enough to make them pay up. It worked for me once a while back.

Yes, Trading Standards now seems to be a private company, the public can't contact them directly, have to go via CAB, an overburdened mainly voluntary organisation.

I am beginning to envisage the same outcome for myself on the Ninja thread.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else to do? I've pretty much given up all hope of ever seeing that money again but don't see any reason why we shouldn't keep trying rather than just rolling over and letting them steal it. Like I said, they'll never see another penny from me.

Have you looked into CHARGEBACK from your bank or credit card. See Moneysavingexpert for details

small claims court. charge them for your letters, time, exasperation. usually just before the court date they cough up

Wow, this Benefit saga really made my blood boil. I would write to the CEO, cc the CFO and Head of Legal Department (so yes three stamps but it may be worth it) and outline the saga and say your next step is the small claims court. Give them your bank details and a deadline to credit your account. If not there, you will be taking legal action.

If it is over six months, I have a nagging feeling it is too late for action through the credit card company.

Last edited:
The small claims court is sound advice. Or you can contact Rip Off Britain, Rogue Traders or one of those consumer programmes. Just a letter telling them you've done this could be enough to make them pay up. It worked for me once a while back.

Or Judge Rinder as that deals with small claims.
Bet they wouldn't want to appear on tv like that!

Latest posts

Back