Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Enigma if you think these channels are doing things that aren't above board, then feel free to report them to whomever you feel necessary. I reported the bid channels on quite a few occassions when I thought that there sales pitches were being deliberately misleading and when the assistants said the most ridiculous things - I think that they ended up having in excess of 30 upheld complaints against them, and this did result in them having to be more "transparent". Their downfall was down to finance in the end, I would say that these complaints helped them along the way as it obviously made potential customers think twice about buying from them and the less customers the less money of course. I watch qvc and IW quite a lot and I really haven't seen anything (apart from Moik's highly offensive sexist banter) that has made me feel like I want to complain, and I have started to notice that their extra charges postage and packaging (The price of the call at 20p per minute seems particularly extortionate) are being brushed under the carpet - but at least they do cap the amount you'd spend unlike bid, who thought it reasonable to expect you to pay £32 to have four packs of socks delivered! They seem to vary the postage and packing costs according to the item, whearas and with bid it was £8 for everything and raised to anything up to £15 for bulky items.

Their postage is an absolute joke, it often makes no sense at all. I know they have multiline postage on some goods if you want to buy multiple amounts of items but what if you don't? It's every bit as big a ripoff as QVC's Postage Charges and often it's even worse.

Take this item for example. 10 X 2ml Ampoules of Fabulift. So that 20ml, around 4 teaspoons.

They charge an exorbitant £5.99 P&P which is quite scandalous. I suspect the charges are all over the place because the items are shipped from all over the place, much like Bid in it's latter days. And they never, ever refer to postage times on air, and the website only states a timescale for when items will be 'dispatched' not actual delivery time.

They are just so very, very, disingenuous about so many things :down:

http://www.idealworld.tv/pp/fabulift-fabulous-eyes-10-x-2ml-ampoules-348533?p=1

I think what made the Bid channels seems worse is that a lot of the stuff they sold was random bits of this and that and they relied heavily upon impulse buying - whereas if you're looking to buy something particular you'll more likely shop around for the best deal, decide whether or not the added postage and packaging if it's a decent deal or not, you're looking out for that sort of thing. Moik might have persuaded you that a poundland quality rearview mirror for you car will stop you killing a child, or those clip on snow shoes will stop your beloved auntie Mabel ending up in A&E and you'll possibly disregard the fact you'll end up paying way way over the odds. Yes, I think this channel does seem to be heading into a downward spiral, but I'm not gonna worry until the worry angels start to reappear!

I think what made the Bid channels seems worse is that a lot of the stuff they sold was random bits of this and that and they relied heavily upon impulse buying - whereas if you're looking to buy something particular you'll more likely shop around for the best deal, decide whether or not the added postage and packaging if it's a decent deal or not, you're looking out for that sort of thing. Moik might have persuaded you that a poundland quality rearview mirror for you car will stop you killing a child, or those clip on snow shoes will stop your beloved auntie Mabel ending up in A&E and you'll possibly disregard the fact you'll end up paying way way over the odds. Yes, I think this channel does seem to be heading into a downward spiral, but I'm not gonna worry until the worry angels start to reappear!

Indeed.

Merry do you remember when Bid was selling exactly the same range of Argan Oil products that were sold (and still are) in Poundland. I think sometimes they sold a bundle of say 4 different products that would would cost £4 for over £30.

They were quite awful shysters :mysmilie_59:

image.jpg

Even Shreque has got his shorts on now. There's only Poo Poo who hasn't worn any yet, but will he boyo?

Despite his Camel Toe I'd say The Dirty Peter looks about the best in shorts out of all of them, jeez :mysmilie_13:

image.jpg

Even Shreque has got his shorts on now. There's only Poo Poo who hasn't worn any yet, but will he boyo?

Despite his Camel Toe I'd say The Dirty Peter looks about the best in shorts out of all of them, jeez :mysmilie_13:

View attachment 11921

That's only because he does at least apply his Zhuzh! and doesn't inflict milk-bottle pale pins on us...

I still don't believe the baloney any of them spout about how it's changed their lives or physiques... we have eyes in our heads and can clearly see that the effect is negligible (but then again, you actually have to do any exercise regularly and consistently to get any effect, and mostly I think they are only using said equipment when they've got a show to present).

Last edited:
Howard has just said "were not allowed to lie" so I couldn't tell you that the phone lines are really busy when they're not cause we're governed by the ASA yes the ASA and we love them cause they're to protect everybody! That's probably one lie they could get away with, who'd know and who'd care! He might as well have said we're not allowed to tell people we've got products at home when we haven't - can't be proved otherwise, even if the the viewer thinks they're bs'ing! I suppose he thinks by saying that we'll all say oh that's alright then, everything they say on these channels must be true then- silly sod!

That's only because he does at least apply his Zhuzh! and doesn't inflict milk-bottle pale pins on us...

I still don't believe the baloney any of them spout about how it's changed their lives or physiques... we have eyes in our heads and can clearly see that the effect is negligible (but then again, you actually have to do any exercise regularly and consistently to get any effect, and mostly I think they are only using said equipment when they've got a show to present).

I don't think they use them either.

Shreque looks like death warmed up and when he let's his guard down he seems a right snarler. I think he needs a break and the longer the better too.

Then again look at Doddy Flump Rick Hay. If that's the end result from years of Vibing and Blasting I'd give up the ghost and head straight to the chippy :mysmilie_59:

Howard has just said "were not allowed to lie" so I couldn't tell you that the phone lines are really busy when they're not cause we're governed by the ASA yes the ASA and we love them cause they're to protect everybody! That's probably one lie they could get away with, who'd know and who'd care! He might as well have said we're not allowed to tell people we've got products at home when we haven't - can't be proved otherwise, even if the the viewer thinks they're bs'ing! I suppose he thinks by saying that we'll all say oh that's alright then, everything they say on these channels must be true then- silly sod!

He talks utter drivel, he drones on about anything other than the 'effin products that he's selling. Mind you, exactly what else can be said about pans?

His heyday was a Woolite TV Commercial over a decade ago, in fact it was so long ago he still had teeth then :mysmilie_59:

Mr Brittas is selling Bike Box.

He says his friends are often at his house wanting a cuppa and generally interrupting his day. He added that if this also happens to you why not replace your Breakfast Bar Stools with Bike Boxes instead?

I'll think about that Mr B and get back to you :mysmilie_59:

image.jpg

I just turned on the Moissanite sale and literally within 30 seconds 'Tom' has already mentioned Tiffany and De Beers (who as far as I'm aware have never had anything to do with Mozzy).

Why not talk about the Disco Ball? Or even better, the actual Gold Weight? (Dirty Peter said 'it's a very heavy, thick Gold this'.

But honestly, they are so disingenuous regarding the association between 'real" Mozzy and this rubbish. They're telling the story of the 'real' Mozzy but then make no mention of the fact this muck is man made :mysmilie_59:

I think I'd rather meet them at the gym than clutter the kitchen up with bike boxes

Quite.

I'm guessing that 'Tom' must have previously been at Gems TV. Unless they're telling porkies he clearly knows Dirty Peter. DP said they used to sell Diamonds and Ruby's and obviously Ideal World only sell phony space diamonds.

There's about as many Diamonds and Ruby's as there are likeable presenters :mysmilie_59:

Then again look at Doddy Flump Rick Hay. If that's the end result from years of Vibing and Blasting I'd give up the ghost and head straight to the chippy :mysmilie_59:

Rick Hay is a particular problem for me. According to his website, he's trained in "Nutrition, Naturopathy, Botanical Medicine and Iridology". This is otherwise known as mumbo-jumbo, particularly iridology, proponents of which claim the ability to diagnose and treat illness by looking into people eyes. He has very little credible serious scientific training and most of his work is based on old wives' tales and pseudo-science.

He's essentially a quack who is out to make money out of people's ignorance. I have a serious problem with this.

Last edited:
Rick Hay is a particular problem for me. According to his website, he's trained in "Nutrition, Naturopathy, Botanical Medicine and Iridology". This is otherwise known as mumbo-jumbo, particularly iridology, proponents of which claim the ability to diagnose and treat illness by looking into people eyes. He has very little credible serious scientific training and most of his work is based on old wives' tales and pseudo-science.

He's essentially a quack who is out to make money out of people's ignorance. I have a serious problem with this.

It's only my opinion but I've always felt he has something of the Gillian McKeith's about him. In fairness to him he's on Ideal World so nobody expects him to be an expert anyway, nobody cares.

Much like Tech Expert Granny Smith 'this is how you mix two faces up' all Nutrionist and Fitness Expert Doddy Flump does is show us what buttons to press on the latest wobbling plinth he's shilling and occasionally shoves some spinach and fruit in a blender.

If I want to listen to a quack I'll watch Donald Duck :mysmilie_59:

image.jpg

Peter Simon's selling a robot vacuum cleaner and he's getting hyper-excited over it. He definitely wants one (as always).

Then he said the following:

"Our Bet's watching. Can you buy this Our Bet?"

Making use of a 'fictional' character to cajole people into buying a product is morally reprehensible if nothing else; I'm no expert when it comes to Advertising Standards Authority guidelines but surely it has to be against some rules somewhere for any salesperson to use such tactics?

Peter Simon's selling a robot vacuum cleaner and he's getting hyper-excited over it. He definitely wants one (as always).

Then he said the following:

"Our Bet's watching. Can you buy this Our Bet?"

Making use of a 'fictional' character to cajole people into buying a product is morally reprehensible if nothing else; I'm no expert when it comes to Advertising Standards Authority guidelines but surely it has to be against some rules somewhere for any salesperson to use such tactics?

I'm not sure about that particular example PP but I do believe they can be seen to be breaching BCAP Code rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising) and 3.31 (Availability).

The availability section covers undue pressure. These rules would, in my opinion, almost certainly have been breached by the Kitchen M8 'email' sale and Rachel's Bissell Quickwash sale.

But, sadly, I genuinely do believe that similar incidents are occurring. However, it does seem that these behaviours are being picked up on now so I guess we should watch this space so to speak. Only the other day a customer was complaining that a product that was supposedly never going to be repeated at a particular low price was actually sold just days later for less and they were demanding the difference.

But I'm guessing these types of indiscretions are more complicated to provide evidence for than say a goon saying untruths about the specifics of a product which is basically cut and dry, to my mind they don't really do that though like on Bid. Personally I think it's probably best left to people who have bought the product to raise the issue as they're maybe best placed to complain and likely to have clearer evidence.

It's tricky, and they're tricky indeed! :mysmilie_13:

If anyone is interested in the Dormeo Options Hybrid Matresses and is a member (or knows someone who is) of Costco they are absolutely MILES cheaper than Ideal World.

Single - IW £179.88 & £7.49 P&P Costco £134.89 Delivered
Double - IW £229.99 & £7.49 P&P Costco £199.99 Delivered
King - IW £279.99 & £7.49 P&P Costco £214.99 Delivered
Super King - IW £329.99 & £7.49 P&P Costco £249.99 Delivered

Ideal World's do come with either one or two pillows but given the MASSIVE price difference you could easily buy your own and still be totally quids in :mysmilie_59:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/dormeo-options-hybrid-mattress-single-90cm-169966

Latest posts

Back