19 years on.. older and better??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

strato - that happens to me constantly - along with all the other problems i get on this site - and it drives me completely demented.

I think I started watching about 1995/1996. I can't remember first purchase, but it was probably a beauty item - Aveda or Molton Brown perhaps. In those days Bonny was the rep for Elemis, Caroline for Decleor and an attractive blonde did Gatineau. Was always mesmerised by Steve Whatley - remember the 'pour test' when he demo'd chains in a jewellery show?

Nowadays its a much slicker operation - but not as entertaining. The beauty department has a lot more competition - not from other shopping channel but from the web - so the bargains are few and far between.

I havent been with QVC from the start - only about 12 or 13 years. The first item i ordered was a set of lipsticks which were mad colours in the bullet but were various pinks and reds on your lips - all hideous and went right back!

I think QVC shold use their birthday to have a long hard look at why they are called QVC as all have changed over time!

I am amazed that Gale Hayman is still on Q after all these years imo it is poor quality,what other brands are still going after 19 years?
Lynn:giggle::giggle:

Since today is the Birthday, how come no 19p shipping as they usually do depending on the Birthday?

Good point. :nod:

We got Sky about 12 years ago but it was still some time before I came across QVC when I tuned in to see two ladies chatting interminably about one item. It was a good few years before I bothered trying again! A very slow start as a Q customer, but have become a fairly regular shopper since joining this forum early 2007. But without the internet I doubt I'd buy anywhere near as much, but now find its all getting a bit tedious and repetitive with the same brands appearing too frequently and over so many days. Kim & Co springs to mind.....when KM appears it seems like she's on for a week at a time! :confused:

I am amazed that Gale Hayman is still on Q after all these years imo it is poor quality,what other brands are still going after 19 years?
Lynn:giggle::giggle:

I use Lip Lift when not wearing lipstick and prefer it to any other lip salve but have never bought any of her other products. Unfortunately, I got suckered into buying some from eBay and, although they seemed like the genuine article and were very well packaged in bubble wrap, every one was broken - they were ultimately impossible to use and a complete waste of money.

I made the same comment about 19p postage on the easypay thread Donna. I can't see any real offers either, just the usual introductory prices which the new website defines as special pricing!

Bit of a poor show, maybe they'll push the boat out for their 20th next year?

Jude xx

I too, would have liked no/low p & P to celebrate their anniversary, but they are getting really mean. That would take the sting out of ordering certain things. During the Emu show this afternoon, Carmel (who was seriously getting my nerves), was raving about the easy pays and said you pay just pay the first payment and a LITTLE bit of P & P the first month. The 'little' bit of P & P was £6.00! Silly girl. I think Amazon do free UK delivery on Emus (could be wrong). Obviously they don't do easy pay.

I think their P&P is getting way out of hand and totally uncompetitive.I fail to see why they haven't "moved with the times" there.

I miss as others have said,totally bargain and diverse TSV's,as well as items that were "different" and couldn't be found elsewhere.

I hate their new obsession that every show has to have a *guest* on it.....that why we get days and days of kim & Co,Laura Gellar,Ojon etc etc.....rather than have the viewing more regular...but more varied.If you don't like Ojon,kim & co etc...well thats tough because thats all we've got for 2 days!!!!

I do like their easypay,and ordering is simple.Returns,labels and the such like take too long.

A mixed bag for over the years really.

I agree its not so bad these days to admit you shop at QVC...where at the begining,it was very much like the scenes from Bridgette Jones :giggle:

Oh Burlz! Zylo steel disk, suspended in water to neutralise scents. DONT go there! I bought a set of 2.
I placed one, above my sink. It dropped out of its tray, hit the sink and put a huge crack in the porcelain. That little £15 purchase ended up costing me £200 as the sink it destroyed was a victoria circa 1910 AND the Zylo didn't even work, after all!

Thanks everyone
for your input, it raised many laughs and 'oh I remember that too' thoughts. I don't miss the dolls, but I guess Charlie Bears have taken the Psycho 'chuckie' dolls place now!

Aveda or Molton Brown perhaps. In those days Bonny was the rep for Elemis, Caroline for Decleor and an attractive blonde did Gatineau.

Oh yes! Who could forget blue Malva, Black Malva and Ali Young constantly brushing her high lift long blonde hair with that wooden Aveda paddle brush - way before you could buy one for a £1! Caroline Supernails, always reminding us her best friend, Barbra Windsor, uses her Supernails lint free wipes, :giggle: and when Liz Earle was TRULY grateful for customers buying her products.

I was a teenager when QVC 1st started. I remember my mum bought an Aveda tsv and we were both hooked after that. My mum had a clear out at the start of the year and she found bags from old Molten Brown TSV's going back to the 90's! lol

I remember one of the non-beauty TSV's we got in the early days was strange past maker. It was cheep as chips and the idea was you made up the dough and put it in the contraption, then you would squeeze it out in different shapes and cook it up like fresh past. I tried it once and it was a right mess and the past did not come out in a decent shape and got stuck in the maker. We sent it back and I never saw it again so i guess everyone else did the same :giggle:

Oh Burlz! Zylo steel disk, suspended in water to neutralise scents. DONT go there! I bought a set of 2.
I placed one, above my sink. It dropped out of its tray, hit the sink and put a huge crack in the porcelain. That little £15 purchase ended up costing me £200 as the sink it destroyed was a victoria circa 1910 AND the Zylo didn't even work, after all!

Thanks everyone
for your input, it raised many laughs and 'oh I remember that too' thoughts. I don't miss the dolls, but I guess Charlie Bears have taken the Psycho 'chuckie' dolls place now!

sorry i know it's not funny but i'm sure i've giggled about this story before :giggle::giggle::giggle:

someone mentioning whatters reminded me how he always used to be on with ivana trump - remember her? uber-glamorous and selling her perfume called ivana and also jewllery. i had some of the jewellery. it was very heavy and sturdy and incredibly well made. i remember once he tipped the perfume bottle over, soaking the bag it came in but just carried on regardless in true whatters style.

speaking of tennis bracelets, what's happened to suzi/california style? haven't seen her for ages. years ago, her sister used to have a jewellery range too.

I wasn't watching on day one but I came in fairly soon after I think. It was quite a while before I bought anything though - my first purchase was a Kirk's Folly key chain which I still have!! It always seemed to be jewellery showing back in the early days.

I used to like the Doll shows with Kara Tritton and loved the collectable cars - I had very little spare money back then and saved up for one car that I desperately wanted only for it to be discontinued just when I had enough - I live in hope that I will find it again some day!

I also bought the Zylo things but I thought they were quite good - I still have one in the kitchen for when I have been chopping onions or garlic and there is one hanging in the downstairs loo.

Everything has got a lot more professional and polished than it was in the early days but I think that has made it much less fun - I used to have it on most of the day for pure entertainment but now I rarely watch, just use the website occasionally.

Not sure it is better...

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

i've had sky for 20 years but can't remember when i first started watching qvc. don't remember my first purchase either. i used to watch a lot about 15 years ago and found it entertaining and enjoyable. it was much more relaxed and had a far wider variety of products. as others have said the tsc was always good value. i miss molton brown tsvs - always had loads of stuff in them and tova kits - loads of make up and/or skin care/toiletries in kits but most of all i miss believe it or not, the fashion. in those days it was everyday wearable stuff with lots of cotton.

Me too with the Molton Brown tsv's - always got them. Tova I also used to get until the smell of it changed. I think I first purchased Special FX's nail products then diamonique then craft stuff and then skin care. I remember (poss 11/12 yrs ago) when AY used to actually sit there and help you decide what suited your skin etc and answered questions etc, I used to think she was very knowledgeable, but nowadays, she is full of self-importance, talks loudly and over every single guest no matter who they are and insults them too!!
I don't think they have actually improved with their presenting style etc, nor their value and quality, but only in that you can place orders easily now.
I really do not watch it as much as I used to as I have to mute AY and JF when they are on.

Latest posts

Back