After me everybody - MICEAL - how hard can it be!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mink

Registered Shopper
:headbang:
We live in a multicultural society surely an Irish name is quite easy?

I was going to post something similar recently. All the posts with an apologetic 'Mickale (sorry, don't know how to spell it)' were starting to grate, it's really not that hard. Now if you want some awesome Irish unspellable and unpronouceable names I give you Sadhbh, Maedhb, Grainne and Seoirse = )

I found it hard sorry .I'm not thick but just one of those names i find hard.Part the problem is listening to the other presenters who sound like their saying. meehaw .
As for seeing it written down i thought our lovely own madauny was called ma daunty not mad aunty until someone pointed it out the other day.

I can say it no problem but I have to think hard how to spell it. I've never come across it before.

I've never known how to spell it because I am not Irish and very, very rarely see it written anywhere. Just like I wouldn't expect people to be able to pronounce or spell Welsh names. I struggle myself, not being a fluent Welsh speaker, and some of the spellings border on insane (just like some of the Irish ones!!). A friend of mine called her daughter Addiena. I thought it was Add-ee-en-ah. But apparently it's Add-ee-nah.

:confused:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I found it hard sorry .I'm not thick but just one of those names i find hard.Part the problem is listening to the other presenters who sound like their saying. meehaw .
As for seeing it written down i thought our lovely own madauny was called ma daunty not mad aunty until someone pointed it out the other day.

I also thought it was ma daunty lol. You're not alone LE Lover

My surname has an unusual spelling and I'm used to it being wrong. It doesn't bother me particularly. I'm sure he's used it it.

can't we just get rid of him instead? it's easier and so much better for the viewers!

When I lived in Cardiff, someone asked me where Jelly Jar Street was.

I had no idea, but later discovered he wanted Gelligaer Street which was quite near.

But the proper Welsh pronounciation is a mixture of grunts with lots of spitting to get the LL correct.

When I lived in Cardiff, someone asked me where Jelly Jar Street was.

I had no idea, but later discovered he wanted Gelligaer Street which was quite near.

But the proper Welsh pronounciation is a mixture of grunts with lots of spitting to get the LL correct.

That's funny!! That's one of the easier streets to pronounce too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Where I lived in Cardiff it was easy.

Lived in Newzealand Rd, next to Canada Rd, which was next to Australia Rd, which was next to Newfoundland Rd. And in the centre of these streets was Africa Gardens!

Last edited:
Well I must be thick cos I didn't know how to pronounce it either!

Well I must be thick cos I didn't know how to pronounce it either!

You and me both Nora :doh:
That saying, there are TONS of names out there which although should sound right aren't. Also what really annoys me are the MANY different way that people now spell their names and then get the hump when you spell it wrong. When I worked at a school, it was a nightmare ie: Carly.....have seen it spelt.....ready for it!!
Karly, Carli, Karli, Carlie, Karlie, Carlee, Karlee, Carleigh, Karleigh, Carley, Karley...... AND that is just ONE name... argh :headbang:

I find it all a bit pretentious to be honest, the fancy spellings and pronunciation of quite ordinary names, er, WHY bother ? The name sounds the same whichever way its spelt, but creates chaos and confusion for form filling in later life.

In my class at school there were no names, unlike today, with the eeeeeee sounding at the end. There was Ingrid, Pauline, Susan, Janet, Christine, Tina, Anne, Carol, Elizabeth, Margaret, Jane, Sandra, Jean...............

I've been a 'plain' Linda for 64 years, but I still get asked..... "Linda with an i or a y ?"

My name is Anne and I'm very particular about my "e"!

My son is Michael, and it drives me doolally when people spell it Micheal. It's such a traditional name uncomplicated name, how can anyone possibly spell it wrong?!

I don't really watch that much QVC these days, but have seen Miceal's name on the forum here a lot and have often wondered to myself how the heck to pronounce it. And now I know. :)

Latest posts

Back