Annoying phrases

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Agree this thread is very entertaining.

I am surprised nobody else has picked up on Chloe's over-use of the word 'remarkable'. In the recent TSV show she presented, she said it about 10 times in the introduction.

But most of all, I cannot stand the way Lisa from OPI says "fabberluss" and "formerler" (fabulous and formula). Also she is one of a few who say "clek-shun" (collection) ... If ever Lisa comes out with the phrase "fabberluss formerlers in this clekshun", I think I might actually literally explode in my living room area for you, Alison Young!! So consider that when you are waffling on about "meejum ingreejunts" and "paintent" leather!

Now - take -a - look - at - this - here (Charlie) or the superlatives he uses in blocks of threes - stunning/breathtaking/incredible
YURS - Alison's pronounciation of the word YEARS
MEEJUM Alison's pronounciation for MEDIUM
Bibi Bijoux woman saying SHARovski instead of SWARovski
Jilly Halliday as an annoying habit of americanising some words by sounding a 'd' instead of a 't' e.g. beaudiful
I also hate the way the presenters talk about us having 30 days in which to make up our minds - surely you have to return something before thirty days are up so that it gets back to them within the time scale ???

The thing which I hate about MeCharlie is when he says "and this will go with our little pumps" "and we wear this on holiday wth our little strappy dress" etc etc when he is doing clothes. shoes. handbags.

No Charlie , you dont (well I assume you dont) wear it, the viewer may possibly wear it. So just stop it. enough is enough.

The thing which I hate about MeCharlie is when he says "and this will go with our little pumps" "and we wear this on holiday wth our little strappy dress" etc etc when he is doing clothes. shoes. handbags.

No Charlie , you dont (well I assume you dont) wear it, the viewer may possibly wear it. So just stop it. enough is enough.

I'm not so sure...do these look like Charlie's legs do you think? It's a picture I found a while ago on the QVC website and wondered who the male model was :mysmilie_15: I think a higher heel might look better than a flat pump or sandal Chaz! :mysmilie_59:

Attachments

• legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 167
Yeh, yeh, yeh.
I am loving this thread! Absolutely incredible indeed! I might even copy it out and bring it on my next cruise with me to regale the captain's table which will be all bedecked with flaaaaaaaaaahs expeshully for us, the rich guests who have "collections" or "wardrobes" (means the same thing - both equally annoying). You won't need to worry about "your" sharofski crystals or about "your" make-up because ANY shade you buy will suit you! Remember, one shade suits all! And you can wear ANY size shtrechy fabric dress at all - literally ANY size will dress you up or dress you down. In fact, you can wear ANY CLOTHES AT ALL - ANYWHERE! and you will always look on trend!! Amazing!

I've quoted a numbah of irritations and well done if you got your pet phrase mentioned here! But if you haven't, I literally need you on your computers shtraight away!

PS - Did I mention my latest trashy chiclit on amazon? You could buy one for your child's teacher, one for you, one to teach your child the facts of life.

Now - take -a - look - at - this - here (Charlie) or the superlatives he uses in blocks of threes - stunning/breathtaking/incredible
YURS - Alison's pronounciation of the word YEARS
MEEJUM Alison's pronounciation for MEDIUM
Bibi Bijoux woman saying SHARovski instead of SWARovski
Jilly Halliday as an annoying habit of americanising some words by sounding a 'd' instead of a 't' e.g. beaudiful
I also hate the way the presenters talk about us having 30 days in which to make up our minds - surely you have to return something before thirty days are up so that it gets back to them within the time scale ???

I thought you said super laxatives! ....:giggle::wave:

The last time I saw MeCharlie on a show he told us all his name is actually Nick. In his family they all use their middle names apparently. So technically he is MeNick!

In South Africa, brook (spelled broek) means knickers, so MeNickBrook wouldn't really convey the right image ....

- "I know your going to love it." (Um, sorry you know no such thing!)

- "It's a no brainer!" (In other words, Don't engage your brain and think about making a purchase, just buy it!)

- "If I were you.." (I'd jump to the phones and place an order, I'm on commission here, and I've got my eye on a new pair of jimmy choos!)

- "You'd be more than that for a couple of lattes and a piece of cake" (Like latte and cake was a daily necessity! notice it is never you'd be that for two gin and tonics and a bag of pork scratchings!)

- "My favourite colour is the blue" (great thanks for letting us know! I'm not buying it for your birthday though, sorry!)

- "The blue has sold old, my second favourite colour is the yellow" (again, thanks for sharing!)

- "Now the blue and yellow have sold out I'm loving the green" (fickle, much?)

- "I couldn't choose between them, if I were you, I'd order them both" (on commission again perchance?!)

I hate the phrase that I often hear "there isn't a woman who doesn't love diamonds" whether in a sale of DQ or diamonds. Actually, I literally dislike diamonds, I am actually, a literal woman for you, and it drives me up the pipe :)

I hate the phrase that I often hear "there isn't a woman who doesn't love diamonds" whether in a sale of DQ or diamonds. Actually, I literally dislike diamonds, I am actually, a literal woman for you, and it drives me up the pipe :)
Interesting.. Why do you dislike diamonds? I love the sparkle and then the settings. Not too many in one setting though.

But it fools the greatest diamond experts the world over so it's not any old cz is it? :mysmilie_518:

Well it might...unless the diamond expert does not spot the CZ stamped on the setting....next to QVC stamped right next to it!

Perfume shows always bug me. There's Tova's very misleading reference to "Absolute Jasmine" at 35 trillion dollars an ounce....as if she expects people to think they have put Jasmine Absolute in the fly spray that is Tova Signature. Even the very expensive fragrances on the market use synthetic ingredients these days. All the while tge model is drenching herself in the stuff for a whole hour. I would not want to stand next to her on the Tube on the way home.

And then Alexis tells us every chance she gets that Cherry Blossom EDT is the smell every man loves to smell on a woman. Really? Then surely all the hundreds of perfume manufacturers out there are just wasting their time making anything else!!

Well as we know, at the end of the day they are there to sell their goods, so they have to use an amount of hyperbole to do so.

Incidentally, the worlds most famous traditional perfume houses, do not use synthetic oils - just had to point that out to you. I don't know what you mean, perhaps you could give some examples of the ones that use synthetics. Many so called designer fragrances use synthetics - but I'd never wear any of them anyway, as I like classic perfume houses.

Just curious.

I agree to with some of the phrases that annoy. I have watched some of the DMQ shows, and I'm sorry but I don't believe a jeweller who will look at your stones through a Jewellers' Loop (I own one) will fail to see real from fake - who are they kidding.

Brilliant. I actually felt like I was watching QVC while reading this thread; with all the presenters on at the same time! Glad to read I'm not the only one driven up the wall by JF's use of 'I' for everything she presents. Sorry, owns. I've noticed Craigy also doing this on occasion. STOP, already!

"You can see there" (or here, or anywhere), may be ok, on the odd occasion, but has recently been heard several times when describing a single item (I'm looking at you, Dale). I used to really enjoy Dale's shows, as I share his sense of humour, but this one's really giving me the pip.

Kathy Tayler & Glen Campbell: "yo" appears to be a favoured short-form of "you know". That reminds me, did anyone else notice Glen's half-mast trousers yesterday? Is this a new trend? Have I fallen asleep and woken up in the 70s? (Sounds like a great idea for a TV show.)

I know it's already been mentioned, but "You can dress it up, or dress it down", really rankles: especially when delivered in a glazed-eyed, sing-songy, trance-like tone. Zero for imagination, for that one.

So yes, why do we watch, when it annoys us so much?!

Many of the presenters have a stock-phrase that they use in practically every show they do.

I have started to notice Charlie's regular use of the phrase "full money refund". Am I missing something? What does this mean? Is it a regional thing?

Charlie's wrong here. A full money refund would include refund of the P&P as well, which we all know you don't get.

CC

Once they get going with a particular phrase it sticks and there is no stopping them!

I imagine them having to go through those brainwashing sessions, but no........ You need a brain to have it washed

To be perfectly honest, I'm astonished, given the amount of air-time through which they have to talk, that they don't rely on stock phrases more! Some of those quoted, they could hardly do without and some of them, they are required to use, such as limited stock etc, in accordance with the television regulations.
Of course some of them get on our nerves, it would be extraordinary if they didn't … but I'm sure AY has never meant any offence by the term 'tanorexia' and it's pretty widely used, so I don't think she originated it.
I'm pretty keen on strictly applied grammar, but would say that, in conversation at least - it's not the news - a little bit of leeway's allowed, isn't it?
What I'm saying, I suppose, is that I wouldn't like to try to think of something original to say about nine or ten different items in an hour of very similar merchandise!

Ohnonotshoppingagain I have done quite a bit of internet research on this just googling. I have a vintage bottle of Jean Patou joy in it's original formulation with animal-derived Civet (and possibly musk). I hasten to add that it was my grandmother's who gave it to my mum who gave it to me as she can't stand the smell. Jasmine is also in there I think, and rose. My reading showed that Joy is now formulated with mainly synthetic ingredients to mimic Civet and musk, and the same with the Rose and Jasmine. The articles I read said that practicallt all the perfume houses now do this to keep costs down. One article said 95% of perfumes are derived from synthetic ingredients, and that legally they are exempt from having to list all their ingredients to prevent copies. They get away with just the term "parfum" on the list of ingredients, without having to list the tens, if not hundreds of synthetic ingredients that make the parfum.

They are, however very willing to list the naturally derived ingredients such as extracts, absolutes and essential oils as if those ingredients are iincluded it is more unusual and something of a selling point for the brand. An example is a bottle of Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers Summer Blooms that I picked up in TK Maxx. The ingredients states just "Parfum/fragrance" but then makes a point of listing Extract of Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus right next to it. If you look at Fragrantia.com for this fragrance you will see many other notes, including pear, hydrangea and musk and more...all notes that will no doubt be synthetically derived. If you search any perfume on fragrantia.com and look at the notes in it, many of them will not be seperately listed in the ingredients...but it's great when they are!

I have no evidence of this but I bet Chanel no. 5 uses synthetic rose and jasmine. Just my opinion though.

Latest posts

Back