Bare Escentuals Foundation Beware!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've got the red nose version of rosacea (butterfly pattern, actually) and funnily enough BE didn't prickle my nose*, only my cheeks :dull: I've just bought some Vitamin C serum and that stings my cheeks too, it's as though my skin has thousands of invisible pin-pricks of raw flesh that feel the acid burns (as we all know, vit c = ascorbic acid).

*The strawberry seeds was a great description of the effect of BE on pores :18: :15:

clemenzina

Ouch! Poor you. I think I read somewhere you should avoid Vit C products if you have rosacea. I can use it if it's not the primary active ingredient (say in the Korres Wild Rose serum) but could never use the Vit C powder, or Jason's Vit C serum I had. Just go onto a very gentle, basic routine until your skin calms down again.

Love your description of th BE effect on pores too - very accurate!!

Hope your face gets better soon
x

Christopher Drummond is unique in that it also does not contain Titanium Dioxide in the foundation, radiance booster and Finishing powder. This one of the reasons it is becoming so popular in the US.

If your buffing may be irritating your skin, please change your buffing brush. I Know this is marketing but the ultimate brushes are vegan friendly and incredibly soft. They area pleasure to use.

I love love love both CD and the Ultimate brushes. Jayne's not wrong when she says they are incredibly soft. They are like silk and give great coverage. I love the ultimate kabuki and the flat headed brush that comes with the CD foundation (oh heck - I love my mini Ultimate brush collection too!!).

I get the newletter emails from Paula Begoun the Cosmetic Cop and strangely today's had this.

bismuth oxychloride. The standard primary ingredient included in most powders that are referred to as "mineral makeup." The claim for bismuth oxychloride is that it is all-natural and better for skin than talc. In fact, in many ways talc is a more natural, unadulterated, pure ingredient than bismuth oxychloride. Bismuth oxychloride, which seldom occurs in nature, is manufactured by combining bismuth, a by-product of lead and copper metal refining, with chloride (chlorine compound) and water. It’s used in cosmetics because it has a distinct shimmery, pearlescent appearance and a fine white powder texture that adheres well to skin. Bismuth oxychloride is heavier than talc. Pure bismuth is a naturally occurring, grayish-white powder. It and its derivatives are used as skin protectives, thickeners, and absorbent agents. Bismuth oxychloride was permanently listed by the FDA as a coloring agent in 1977 and as a synthetic ingredient (Source: The International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, Eleventh Edition, 2006). If you’re considering a mineral makeup with bismuth oxychloride and the cosmetic company tells you it’s all natural, you now know they’re fibbing.

I get the newletter emails from Paula Begoun the Cosmetic Cop and strangely today's had this.

bismuth oxychloride. The standard primary ingredient included in most powders that are referred to as "mineral makeup." The claim for bismuth oxychloride is that it is all-natural and better for skin than talc. In fact, in many ways talc is a more natural, unadulterated, pure ingredient than bismuth oxychloride. Bismuth oxychloride, which seldom occurs in nature, is manufactured by combining bismuth, a by-product of lead and copper metal refining, with chloride (chlorine compound) and water. It’s used in cosmetics because it has a distinct shimmery, pearlescent appearance and a fine white powder texture that adheres well to skin. Bismuth oxychloride is heavier than talc. Pure bismuth is a naturally occurring, grayish-white powder. It and its derivatives are used as skin protectives, thickeners, and absorbent agents. Bismuth oxychloride was permanently listed by the FDA as a coloring agent in 1977 and as a synthetic ingredient (Source: The International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, Eleventh Edition, 2006). If you’re considering a mineral makeup with bismuth oxychloride and the cosmetic company tells you it’s all natural, you now know they’re fibbing.

Thank you Donna255 for this post as it totally backs up what I said when I started this thread. With so many mineral make up brands out there posts like these make people aware of what to look for.

Like so many of you, I had the itchy skin with BE. All that buffing made my skin sore!

I am looking at the JBD site and plan to order a sample of CD foundation and an Ultimate brush - the question is, which one? Advice please.

Like so many of you, I had the itchy skin with BE. All that buffing made my skin sore!

I am looking at the JBD site and plan to order a sample of CD foundation and an Ultimate brush - the question is, which one? Advice please.

In the full CD kits (foundation, powder and radiance) you are supplied a flat topped ultimate brush so you may want to try another type rather than double up on this one. They're super brushes.

And another thing . . .

Just looked at the CD powder. The colours are scary - my fair and slightly freckled skin is nothing like these shades. Presume they don't look like this when applied? How do I choose?

Branca is for fair skin and is simply excellent, a super product.
Yellow is for medium/olive/Mediterranean skin tones
The beige toned one is for dark complexions
HTH

Thank you Vampyre - I have just finished Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series about vampires.

I shall go for the fair one despite my fear that I sall end up looking like a vampire! LOL. Still need to buy a brush though!

I presume you are buying the sample sizes of the foundation first. The full retail size is in a tube with brush, spatula, travel container, sifter and the full size glass jar of product, hence I referred to it as a kit with such a large number of component parts.

I am very fair skinned and i tried both the fair and light shades in foundation, the fair was too yellowy for my tone, the light is far better. Today i recieved the sample of finale powder...i went for the branca/white in this and im hoping this on top of the light foundation will tone it down just that wee bit further.

The coverage is not as heavy as BE and this takes a bit of getting used too, its looks like you are wearing no make up at all.

hth xx

No problem Tilly, do remember to tell us how you get on. I think all the ultimate brushes rock so I'm no help. Would a small kabuki sized one be of use to you as it's a good size to be portable?

I am terribly sorry Tilly and anyone else but I have the last 2 finale powders mixed up, the yellow is for dark skin tones and the neutral is for the medium tones but I think the branca works well on an awful lot of what I would call the light end of medium.
Sorry for the booboo.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to chip in with my experience with BE. Although most women who have a problem with Bismuth will experience minor itching, over time a bad allergic reaction to the substance can develop which is unfortunately what happened to me. I first developed issues with Bismuth about 8 years ago when i took a bad allergic reaction to Pepto Bismol (Bismuth is one of the key ingredients in pepto bismol!!). I didnt know at the time what ingredient had caused the problem and obviously didnt come into contact with it for a few years. My next reaction to bismuth was when i came into contact with it via BE which is when i put 2 and 2 together that the common ingredient was bismuth. Within a short while of using the foundation i went into anaphylactic shock and was rushed to hospital - my entire body swelled up like the elephant man and i was given heavy drugs to reduce the swelling and allow me to breathe.

Bismuth is certainly not natural (i read somewhere it is related to arsenic!) and if you do start to develop itching please do tread carefully so it doesnt turn into a bad allergy. Appreciate that my reaction was probably worst case and most women wont have this type of reaction but the claim that it is so pure you can sleep in it just riles me up so bad and i wanted to warn people to take the claims of this company with a pinch of salt. A lot of brands do not actively avoid bismuth thankfully as i do love mineral makeup, and brands such as everyday minerals, lily lolo, jane iredale and christopher drummond are all great alternatives.

xx

ksmyth123 I have every sympathy for you as I have had very similar experience with aspirin as medication and its derivatives in skincare and cosmetics causing anaphlaxis and horrendous asthma attacks that don't respond to usual treatment. It's frightening and many people on here feel that websites should carry the full list of ingredients for the products they sell. It's not a solution but it would help us a bit.

Hi Vampyre,

Yes, I had intended to try the samples first. Perhaps a small travel brush would be ther best one to try. Alternatively, I may go for the brush kit as it looks such good value.

I will order another Smashbox Brow Tech as well as it is the very best thing for my blonde, almost non-existent eyebrows.

Thanks Vampyre.

You are most welcome to any info I can give Tilly, that's what it's all about here and nowhere more so than on the subjects of health, skincare and cosmetics :D

It really p**ses me off actually that companies and QVC can get away with stating things like 'this is a totally natural product' over and over again without repercussions! If it's simply not true then surely legal has to get involved? And if a product contains ingrediants which are known irritants to sensitive skin then how can they in good conscience bang on about how the product is PERFECT for sensitive skin?! Don't they end up just getting them all back anyway from hacked off customers?

grrrr...

I'm curious to see too if AY changes her spiel about Smashbox in the shows tomorrow after I mailed QVC and pointed out that they're not the only official UK supplier despite AY stating this constantly in every show for the last year or so?!

Grrrr again! Lies in cosmetics really get my goat. I recommend Paula Begouns Cosmetics Cop website as a good place to start for researching what's in ANY product out there. I don't always agree with her views but I don't think you can fault her research into ingrediants.

Txx

Latest posts

Back