Bundleberry by Amanda Holden TSV 15/10/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Any treatment that is able to detect anything sinister early is worth having. The mammogram with a good practitioner can take less than 10 minutes. Even the home kit for poo samples is not pleasant but what the hell, whatever it takes.

My only exception to the above would be having an Endoscopy without anaesthetic - NOT recommended. I had one earlier this year, and because I lived on my own they wouldn't give me anaesthetic, so I had to endure the most tortuous 10 minutes of my life. It felt like a hosepipe being stuffed down my throat (with a camera to see my stomach), and of course I was continually gagging and burping because of the air being pumped. It was medieval. The only upside was I was able to leave after tea and biscuits, but the anaesthetic can take over an hour recovery. So if anyone has to have one done in the future, then ensure you have an anaesthetic, - you DON'T want to be aware of whats going on.

Thankfully, nothing sinister was detected.
Youngest daughter had a swollen neck about 18 years ago and a lump was found on her thyroid. She had a camera thingy up her nose and down her throat without anaesthetic. Luckily it wasn't malignant but as she was just about to enter university she opted to have half of her thyroid removed rather than endure frequent hospital checks.

My only exception to the above would be having an Endoscopy without anaesthetic - NOT recommended. I had one earlier this year, and because I lived on my own they wouldn't give me anaesthetic, so I had to endure the most tortuous 10 minutes of my life. It felt like a hosepipe being stuffed down my throat (with a camera to see my stomach), and of course I was continually gagging and burping because of the air being pumped. It was medieval. The only upside was I was able to leave after tea and biscuits, but the anaesthetic can take over an hour recovery. So if anyone has to have one done in the future, then ensure you have an anaesthetic, - you DON'T want to be aware of whats going on.

Thankfully, nothing sinister was detected.
I think the first Endoscopy is the worst, I’m not saying it’s less medieval, it’s just that you know what to expect each time & can try & zone out. It‘s worth 10 minutes of discomfort to get the results.

The report earlier this month about the number of missed cancer screenings, 1 million for breast cancer alone, & the estimate that 8,600 women could now have undetected breast cancer really concerned me. However, the response from NHS England made me furious: "The vast majority of cancers detected through screening programmes are at a very early stage and so any impact on patients who were due to be screened is extremely low". That says two things to me, firstly those who should have been screened in March may have a tumour that has grown significantly & also it does absolutely nothing to promote the screening service.

The report earlier this month about the number of missed cancer screenings, 1 million for breast cancer alone, & the estimate that 8,600 women could now have undetected breast cancer really concerned me. However, the response from NHS England made me furious: "The vast majority of cancers detected through screening programmes are at a very early stage and so any impact on patients who were due to be screened is extremely low". That says two things to me, firstly those who should have been screened in March may have a tumour that has grown significantly & also it does absolutely nothing to promote the screening service.
I am not surprised the slashing of our beloved and underfunded NHS has begun

I have the up most respect for anyone that goes through an Endoscopy because that’s one procedure I’d never have, I can’t breath through my nose properly, mixed with asthma I’d literally feel like I’m suffocating. I’ve had a hysterectomy when I was 28, I had a sigmoidoscopy years ago so I’m not a whimp but I’ve got to say I’d never have an Endoscopy, I know I probably should but nope, sorry, never going to happen. It annoys me how patients are put through the most frightening, invasive procedures to save time and money when there are much less frightening and evasive procedures available like MRI Scans, CT Scans and Pill Cams, and because they go for the fastest, cheapest options were people are dying because they’re too scared to go through it I think is a disgrace, and that’s coming from someone who was a Phlebotomist for almost 30 years with the NHS.

Mammograms get slightly easier with age. I had my first one before I was 40 and they explained that the firmer the boob the more uncomfortable the squishing.

Twenty years on it is getting easier.

Please please don't put off any screening. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and they offered me pethidine and would recommend it. It wears off quickly and certainly made it easier to go through. Don't be bullied into being "brave" if there's an option for mild sedation, and if it isn't offered ask.

Mammograms get slightly easier with age. I had my first one before I was 40 and they explained that the firmer the boob the more uncomfortable the squishing.

Please please don't put off any screening. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and they offered me pethidine and would recommend it. It wears off quickly and certainly made it easier to go through. Don't be bullied into being "brave" if there's an option for mild sedation, and if it isn't offered ask.
You're such a lovely person, always reassuring & supportive 💐

The first time I had this done I had to stop her 4 times on the one side. A recent one was better, but hate having them.
I do too, a number of people have said to take pain killers before the appointment, I'm going to have a large vodka next time 🥴

Our previous dentist would inform you that you didn't need any anaesthetic and proceed to drill away. Unfortunately, he died, fortunately his son took over and was fully aware of his Dads technique. Although I had already had a mouthful of old fillings removed and replaced without any anaesthetic by this time. Please don't think that I don't look after my teeth - apparently once they were out I had no sign of decay but they had to obviously be replaced. Another unscrupulous dentist had done the fillings unnecessarily a few years before. I believe Esther Rantzen did an article about it on That's Life.

I have the up most respect for anyone that goes through an Endoscopy because that’s one procedure I’d never have, I can’t breath through my nose properly, mixed with asthma I’d literally feel like I’m suffocating. I’ve had a hysterectomy when I was 28, I had a sigmoidoscopy years ago so I’m not a whimp but I’ve got to say I’d never have an Endoscopy, I know I probably should but nope, sorry, never going to happen. It annoys me how patients are put through the most frightening, invasive procedures to save time and money when there are much less frightening and evasive procedures available like MRI Scans, CT Scans and Pill Cams, and because they go for the fastest, cheapest options were people are dying because they’re too scared to go through it I think is a disgrace, and that’s coming from someone who was a Phlebotomist for almost 30 years with the NHS.

Like all treatments its sometimes best to be in a state of ignorant bliss for a first time procedure - as I was when I gaily walked into the Endoscopy treatment room - otherwise you'd be in a permanent state of terror.

After my ordeal I had the follow up appt with the young Consultant who had referred me. I told him the procedure should be used as a form of torture for spies ! they'd soon talk ! He laughed and then admitted that he himself was due to have one, and was clearly a bit worried, ironically I had to reassure him and said he had nothing to worry about if he had the anaesthetic ! talk about role reversal 🤭

Like all treatments its sometimes best to be in a state of ignorant bliss for a first time procedure - as I was when I gaily walked into the Endoscopy treatment room - otherwise you'd be in a permanent state of terror.

After my ordeal I had the follow up appt with the young Consultant who had referred me. I told him the procedure should be used as a form of torture for spies ! they'd soon talk ! He laughed and then admitted that he himself was due to have one, and was clearly a bit worried, ironically I had to reassure him and said he had nothing to worry about if he had the anaesthetic ! talk about role reversal 🤭
The time before last I had it done & had a follow up letter, I was really worried something was wrong. I sat next to him and he said I wanted to talk to you face to face , omg. He then went on to say either he hadn’t taken any samples , or, they had got lost in the lab & will have to schedule for another endoscopy. I wished he had just phoned as it’s a bus, tram, bus journey. Last time I went to my nearest hospital and a different person.

Apparently having 12 samples taken from the prostate with what felt like red hot needles was f***ing painful to quote Mr T and he never swears.
It's embarrassing, that's all. Certainly not painful like a breast examination.

Apparently having 12 samples taken from the prostate with what felt like red hot needles was f***ing painful to quote Mr T and he never swears.
I was referring to the finger up the bum to see if the prostate is enlarged. That's small fry compared to what your husband had. The procedure you're describing really is unpleasant I hear. Thankfully I haven't had to have that. I hope it was a good result afterwards.

I thought this was about Bundleberrys (whatever they are) so I had quite a shock when I popped in to see why a Bundleberry has so many posts, I didn't know it was about prostates and breasts.

But as someone said, the NHS is getting worse and worse.

Every 3 years or so, I need ear syringing to remove wax. but now the NHS has banned this treatment (for the time being, I was told). I thought it was just my surgery refusing to do it, but it is national.

So today I had to pay loads of ££££s and have a 2 hour round journey by bus to get it done privately, rather than a 10 minute walk to the surgery. But I HAD to get it done as I'd gone almost totally deaf, I couldn't even hear my Bose Wave radio at full volume, and my OH was complaining about me having things so loud.

PS I still have no idea what a Bundleberry is ;)

I thought this was about Bundleberrys (whatever they are) so I had quite a shock when I popped in to see why a Bundleberry has so many posts, I didn't know it was about prostates and breasts.

But as someone said, the NHS is getting worse and worse.

Every 3 years or so, I need ear syringing to remove wax. but now the NHS has banned this treatment (for the time being, I was told). I thought it was just my surgery refusing to do it, but it is national.

So today I had to pay loads of ££££s and have a 2 hour round journey by bus to get it done privately, rather than a 10 minute walk to the surgery. But I HAD to get it done as I'd gone almost totally deaf, I couldn't even hear my Bose Wave radio at full volume, and my OH was complaining about me having things so loud.

PS I still have no idea what a Bundleberry is ;)
I could say but I won’t!

Latest posts

Back