Doll 10

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Considering the hydrogel foundational and brush 213645 but in a bit of a quandary regarding colour and suitability

I am 65 was natural brunette (now bottle assisted to a mid brown) and have very sensitive dry skin. I wear very little makeup partly because of sensitivity and partly due to just not knowing what to go for. Clinique foundation is ok but not really sure I use the correct shade but can't use their cleansers etc. I wish I felt comfortable with beauty sales assistants but they are so off putting both by their attitudes and trowelled on look.

I read folk saying yellow, peach etc toned but I'm not really sure what is meant.

Any advice on Doll 10 and colour would be appreciated.

Okay, I'm no expert, but I have spent years (and years!) trying to find the right foundations and my best advice is that you really have to get hold of samples.

With dry skin (I'm combination), I think I'd point you in the direction of the serum foundations that have popped up over the last year or two. I'd also not overly worry about skintone unless you go with a brand that puts skintone in the spotlight (e.g. Bobbi Brown believes that yellow should be everyone's base).

QVC's shade pics are awful. I'm pretty sure they used the same pictures for the Doll 10 show yesterday as some of the Tarte shows and I'm NOTHING like that shade the show as the one I need to buy. But at least for a few quid postage, you can return if something looks awful on you.

I bought the recent Tarte TSV which has the serum-type foundation (they usually have a dropper type bottle). As a guess I got the Fair Light Neutral and it is pretty neutral. I no longer go by the pictures, but always study the shades if they're swatched on the back of the presenter's hand. My skintone confuses all but the most seasoned assistant as I'm neutral to warm toned, but have a lot of redness. They take one look at my face, see the redness and stick me in a cool tone in an effort to match it, but then I'm a horrible contrast with my neck.

As I'm getting older I'm finding myself drawn to the brands with fewer shade choices, too. I get samples - even if I have to buy them from eBay - and try them on in broad daylight. I'll then check in different mirrors and lighting through the day to see if it changes colour on me (this is probably the worst thing a foundation can do as I really look a mess with a Tango orange face and a neutral neck!).

Most days I use one of Garnier's BB creams. Although there is a slight difference in shade across the range (I have the normal spf15, the Blur with a primer version and the Sensitive spf25 version), I use Light and my face still looks "me, but better" in all three. It's these creams that have taught me to be able to pick a shade on a hand swatch sample. I have no idea why I haven't been able to do it with any other foundation. They're also reasonable enough that I can use a blob on my hand to swatch against foundations in the shops.

Sitting down and slapping it on in store has never worked for me. The assistants almost always put me in several shades too dark for some reason. If they won't give me a sample, I'll check their policy - some brands WILL refund you if you're unhappy. If an assistant tells me they do, I get her to note on the receipt that she's said so.

Anyway, back to your question on Doll 10. I bought the last TSV (I'm a foundation junkie!), and quite like the Hydragel. I'm usually the second lightest shade so bought the Light. I have noticed that when I put it on initially it does make my skin look a little grey and flat, but after 10 minutes, it warms up on my skin and looks quite good. Doris slaps it on quite thickly to cover imperfections. That's never worked for me. I use a damp Beautyblender on my drier areas (a must for a good finish on my skin), then either the brush in the kit, which is lovely, or one of my newer buys - a W7 knock-off of one of those high hair count paddle type brushes (amazing for blending into the open pores on my t-zone).

What shade do you think you are, LATI? In basic terms? Porcelain? Light? Medium? Tan? Dark? You can decide undertone later - unless you have a v VERY strong undertone. Basically cool undertones belong to the fairer, pinker skins and warm are more touched by the sun. Are you more Nicole Kidman (obviously cool) or Jennifer Lopez (not so obvious as her shade is darker). It can be very confusing as there's a tendancy to go warmer with darker shades (quite a good thing sometimes - check out the darker models on Q. Many products will make them look "ashy" or grey and they look healthier, if not as polished in their befores).

If you hit the shops and can try any of the Garnier BB's and think Light suits you, then I'd say Light might be your best bet in Doll 10.

Hope this long and confusing post helps a teeny bit.

I'm going to agree with Bobbi Brown - all foundations should be yellow based!
I'm very pale, with a slightly pink undertone. I always get pale yellow based foundations - the last thing I was is to emphasise the pink! I want to camouflage it!

I bought the new Nars one in Gobi the other day - it's like water (I like light foundations). I also like Tarte foundations (yellow based again) & I like Doll 10 Hydragel in fair - again very yellow based - but very pale.

I'm very pale, with a slightly pink undertone. I always get pale yellow based foundations - the last thing I was is to emphasise the pink! I want to camouflage it!

I bought the new Nars one in Gobi the other day - it's like water (I like light foundations). I also like Tarte foundations (yellow based again) & I like Doll 10 Hydragel in fair - again very yellow based - but very pale.

This doesn't work for me.
I too am very fair, Doll 10 Fair that you mention is too dark for me & any yellow at all makes me look jaundiced.
The only ones that I've found work at all are BM Fair & B&B Prcelain from Q, though the B&B can even be a bit dark depending on the swirls, & Mac compact in NW15.

Gosh, no wonder I'm flummoxed!

Will try a few samples. I find i think it looks ok, fairly pale, only to catch my reflection in another room to be aghast at how tangoed I am.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give such detailed answers- this kindness is the bedrock of this forum which is why I love t even though I no longer love Q

Have you tried letting the Boots No7 ladies use their gadget on you?
It turned out that their palest shade, Calico, was still too dark for me but I know several people who have been very happy with the match they were given. At least it would give you a bit of an idea of the type of colour to look for even if you didn't want to get any of their own foundations, though they do lots of formulas. I like their compact one, just sorry they don't do a suitable colour for me.

It turned out that their palest shade, Calico, was still too dark for me but I know several people who have been very happy with the match they were given. At least it would give you a bit of an idea of the type of colour to look for even if you didn't want to get any of their own foundations, though they do lots of formulas. I like their compact one, just sorry they don't do a suitable colour for me.
I've finally found my best shade of foundation by going to the Boots No 7 counter and the assistant there using the gadget to match my skin tone, using a bit of make up remover on my cheek to make sure it was correct. I wish I had done this before as I have made too many expensive mistakes in the past. I asked for a small sample in a pot to try on a full face make up at home before deciding and that worked for me. I went back a few days later to buy it, I think it is called Instant Radiance liquid foundation with an SPF 15. It blends really easily with my Doll 10 foundation brush and lasts well through the day and doesn't change colour on me like a lot of others have.
Buying from QVC can be a minefield in my experience and I've finally learnt my lesson. Good luck with your search Loveallthingsitalian!

I had also been matched a shade by Boots no7 and I was suggested the second lightest shade. I thought it looked greyish on me and also the colour transferred. I may give it another go when I'm in a larger store.

I had also been matched a shade by Boots no7 and I was suggested the second lightest shade. I thought it looked greyish on me and also the colour transferred. I may give it another go when I'm in a larger store.

I'm always leery of these sort of colour matching devices... they are doing it in store lighting. So a match in that light won't necessarily be a good match in the light you normally use. Most artificial light sources actually emit light with a particular colour tone to it as well as the different brightness levels you get, which can be determined by the temperature. Some are cool, some are warm... it's a complicated business! In this Which? guide, there is a useful explanation about the colour and brightness (and accuracy of the colour rendering)... scroll down a bit to find these sections. http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/light-bulbs/article/five-tips-for-choosing-the-right-light-bulb

I too got matched with Calico and it's too dark for me as well. I don't think the No 7 foundations go light enough really, so basically anyone who is very fair gets told they're Calico as that's the lightest they have to offer.

I noticed that Bourjois do very light shades in liquid foundation, the lightest being pinkish looking.

i dont buy qvc make up i am madly fussy i have to buy in store. go in bare face and put it on my face. wear it out and take it from there

It'S very difficult to get the correct Foundation together with blend and colour! I've been at it for X amount of years, lololo!

Currently use Clarins, nice light finish!

Dior do very good foundations, they have a gadget like the no 7 one to match you up.
They also give you a sample to try at home so you can be sure. Yes, Dior is not exactly cheap, but sometimes it's worth paying a bit more to get the right shade and texture, because in the long run, you're not wasting money trying lots of different ones.

I don't mind paying for the right thing because it's much cheaper than all the £25/30 ones lying in the drawer after one use.

Would Dior be heavily perfumed?

I don't mind paying for the right thing because it's much cheaper than all the £25/30 ones lying in the drawer after one use.

Would Dior be heavily perfumed?

It might be more scented than you are used to, but I think if you're near a shop that retails Dior, you can, and should, ask for samples of the likely foundation shades or formulations to see if they are a good match, and if you find them acceptable from a scent, texture and coverage point of view.

A very neutral smell, not perfumed. My favourite is the powder foundation, the one in the blue compact that you apply with the sponge. It looks like pressed powder but gives good coverage and has spf 25. When first applied it seems a bit powdery, but after a few minutes it blends with skin to give a very nice finish. in fact this is the selling point of that particular one, it's called fusion wear. They have a liquid version of this too, also good. I love the powder one though, as it's so quick and easy to use.

No yellow based ones match me at all, they all leave me with a hideous tidemark. Only pinky ones look right.

No yellow based ones match me at all, they all leave me with a hideous tidemark. Only pinky ones look right.

Totally agree. I just don't get the current obsession with yellow based foundation. Bobby Brown has a lot to answer for.

I was colour matched at Boots, problem is their foundation choice for me was rubbish. Awful stuff. People think pink but the days of really pink are long gone, now they are rose/beige tones. I can wear yellow and rose foundations. I know when I get tested for shades some SAs insist because of my colour blond with blue/grey/green eyes I should be cool toned, yet turn out to be be more warm. So one will say I am cool and another warm. I once had the Colour Me Beautiful thing done and came out as Soft Warm.

As advised get samples and wear outside for a day and see how you feel about the product.

Latest posts

Back