Drivel, Waffle, Drivel, Waffle!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Having read Redcare's post I don't think they made a personal attack on anyone, and to imply they're associated with those at Rocks & Co on the strength of their post is wrong. I actually thought the same thing that it's just not nice to wish anyone to lose their job regardless of whether they're in the public eye or not.

I'm what's considered a 'newbie' here so not formed any alliances but what I have seen over and over again is when a new member disagrees with a reg, it's deemed as personal. Yet because someone is in the public eye it's open season when it comes to ripping them apart regarding their appearance, accent and so on.

Whilst some members here are extremely sweet and their posts informative or plain hilarious, far too many are just downright nasty yet they get away with it constantly.

Oops! You won't like my 'zebra-crossing' post then..

Me too its pretty tough at the mo! Please don't think I want to get off on the wrong foot I don't! I just think if you hate a presenter don't watch em and save yourself the pain

I'm a masochist though.
:rolleyes:

Having read Redcare's post I don't think they made a personal attack on anyone, and to imply they're associated with those at Rocks & Co on the strength of their post is wrong. I actually thought the same thing that it's just not nice to wish anyone to lose their job regardless of whether they're in the public eye or not.

I'm what's considered a 'newbie' here so not formed any alliances but what I have seen over and over again is when a new member disagrees with a reg, it's deemed as personal. Yet because someone is in the public eye it's open season when it comes to ripping them apart regarding their appearance, accent and so on.

Whilst some members here are extremely sweet and their posts informative or plain hilarious, far too many are just downright nasty yet they get away with it constantly.

Thanks for saying that I don't want to cause trouble its just sometimes some comments made do seem very creul

Oops! You won't like my 'zebra-crossing' post then..

Whether I like it or not end of the day I can't stop you or anyone else making such comments. Vicki Burton's not high up on my list of favourites but having a fake tan doesn't bother me at all even if it is poorly applied.

Whilst I appreciate that you have come on to defend a new fellow, I think you are both wrong. It may seem unkind to wish someone out of a job, but you have to remember that it is we who ultimately employ these people by way of giving their companies our money and, as such, we are entitled to say if we wish to see them or not without having to resort to switching off/over as this is negative for everyone. To be brutal, most of them are failed "showbiz" peeps and, having put themselves up, must be ready for the occasional tomato. Whilst I don't like persistent, apparently unfair critique of presenters, this is a forum especially for people to give their views, good or bad and I have to say that I think Klos makes a valid point about the presenters on this channel, even if a little vehement.

I am not aware of any cliques here, and thus this is a generally easy forum to fit into. However, if somebody chooses to make their first post an attack on the forum/a member, then of course the troops will rally. Whilst I have every sympathy with Redcare;s situation, and understand that Klosblue's post hit a nerve, I'm afraid that's life. If I attacked every time someone trod on my toes, I'd have been well and truly battered by now.

I think it is only good manners to introduce yourself gently into an established group, even animals know this.

Argey x

Whilst I appreciate that you have come on to defend a new fellow, I think you are both wrong.

That's your opinion but I still saw no personal attack whatsoever in Red's post.

It may seem unkind to wish someone out of a job, but you have to remember that it is we who ultimately employ these people by way of giving their companies our money and, as such, we are entitled to say if we wish to see them or not without having to resort to switching off/over as this is negative for everyone.

So because you believe 'we' employ them that gives us the right to demand when they should be removed from their jobs? And tbh it's not unkind to wish someone out of work......it's downright nasty. I would never wish anyone out of a job unless they'd done something so catastrophic that it impacted directly upon my life.

To be brutal, most of them are failed "showbiz" peeps and, having put themselves up, must be ready for the occasional tomato. Whilst I don't like persistent, apparently unfair critique of presenters, this is a forum especially for people to give their views, good or bad and I have to say that I think Klos makes a valid point about the presenters on this channel, even if a little vehement.

Then it would be even fairer if some who disagreed with other members points of view weren't bullied, something I find does happen here on occasion if rather subtly.

I am not aware of any cliques here, and thus this is a generally easy forum to fit into. However, if somebody chooses to make their first post an attack on the forum/a member, then of course the troops will rally. Whilst I have every sympathy with Redcare;s situation, and understand that Klosblue's post hit a nerve, I'm afraid that's life. If I attacked every time someone trod on my toes, I'd have been well and truly battered by now.

I'll be extremely honest here and please understand this doesn't apply to everyone in this forum, but some make it very very difficult in here. It's not troops rallying in my opinion, it's a group of friends who close ranks regardless of whether their colleague is in the wrong or not. Klos's post didn't hit a nerve where I'm concerned, just the fact a newly registered user posted their opinion and was immediately attacked.

I think it is only good manners to introduce yourself gently into an established group, even animals know this.

Argey x

And I think it's good manners for those who are regulars here to at least give newcomers the benefit of the doubt, and maybe point out in a nicer way if they put a foot wrong. Manners cut both ways. I'm no shrinking violet by a long chalk but half the time even I'm reluctant to post in here.

Whether I like it or not end of the day I can't stop you or anyone else making such comments. Vicki Burton's not high up on my list of favourites but having a fake tan doesn't bother me at all even if it is poorly applied.

Yeh but it's funny though. She's like the cast of the black and white minstrels in solo.

And I think it's good manners for those who are regulars here to at least give newcomers the benefit of the doubt, and maybe point out in a nicer way if they put a foot wrong. Manners cut both ways. I'm no shrinking violet by a long chalk [COLOR="Red"]but half the time even I'm reluctant to post in here.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Really? Can't say as I'd noticed.

As for subtle bullying, some might consider that to be what you are doing. Taking someone's post only to pick it to pieces point by point, is rude to say the least. As for me having bad manners, I give a lot of thought to my critical posts in order not to be unnecessarily personal, which is more than I can say for you. I'd also like to think that we on the forum are a little more than "colleagues".

I'm saying no more as I have no idea why I'm sitting up so late to be having this kind of conversation.

Argey (Mrs Argey to you)

The point I wanted to make was that if the presenters - good or bad - are expected to drag these games out, then sooner or later they're going to descend into drivel, and whether we like certain presenters or not, I think most of us would agree that if a presenter has got to make a game last 20 minutes or more, very few of them (alright, only one) can do that with entertainment and charm. The responsibility for that goes higher up the chain. At least these presenters haven't descended to the level of the TJC presenter who used to stand there going "Press that button now. Go on. Press it now. I want to move on." Although come to think of it, he was probably just voicing what they all think when they get to the stage of sitting there thinking "Someone, somewhere, just press the ruddy button"!

I agree that there are extremely annoying presenters out there, but not necessarily with exactly the same ones as Klos - I don't mind VB (running for cover!) - and I have certainly criticized in the past and am trying to rein in a bit as it was pointed out in a previous thread that these people may well read this forum.
However, I do feel that everyone is entitled to their opinions and I feel I should stick up for redcare - I really can't see her post as aggressive or attacking Klos personally, she just sounded upset. I don't agree with what she wrote, but if that's how she feels, surely she has a right to express it?

Yeh but it's funny though. She's like the cast of the black and white minstrels in solo.

Wasn't that a show that was binned due to the fact it was considered derogatory?

Really? Can't say as I'd noticed.

As for subtle bullying, some might consider that to be what you are doing. Taking someone's post only to pick it to pieces point by point, is rude to say the least. As for me having bad manners, I give a lot of thought to my critical posts in order not to be unnecessarily personal, which is more than I can say for you. I'd also like to think that we on the forum are a little more than "colleagues".

I'm saying no more as I have no idea why I'm sitting up so late to be having this kind of conversation.

Argey (Mrs Argey to you)

I give a lot of thought to my posts too and in all of them try never to be a bully nor offensive, so I'm sorry to see that your line of defense is to attempt to label me as a bully. I broke your post down point by point in an effort to try to get my point across with the minumum of offence.

Unfortunately you yourself have really justified what I stated earlier, and it seems to me that everyone's entitled to an opinion so long as it falls in line with yours. I would love to recommend this forum to others I chat to online as I know they're avid shoppers but am loathe to purely because of the way newcomers are treated by a few.

I agree that there are extremely annoying presenters out there, but not necessarily with exactly the same ones as Klos - I don't mind VB (running for cover!) - and I have certainly criticized in the past and am trying to rein in a bit as it was pointed out in a previous thread that these people may well read this forum.
However, I do feel that everyone is entitled to their opinions and I feel I should stick up for redcare - I really can't see her post as aggressive or attacking Klos personally, she just sounded upset. I don't agree with what she wrote, but if that's how she feels, surely she has a right to express it?

I'd go along with this, Jacqualina.

I think there is a vast difference between heated differences of opinion and bullying. Bullying is an extremely strong word that implies a systematic destruction of a posters confidence, ie being followed around the boards and constantly criticised or consistent nasty PM's/posts aimed directly at one poster.

Any instances of bullying on ST.com are taken extremely seriously and action is taken to deal with the situation - in short, we don't and won't tolerate it from anybody, old or new.

Differences of opinion are more tricky - this is a forum and it is unreasonable to believe that all of us will always agree with what other posters say. Freedom of speech and the right to express our opinions is one we all take seriously and that is what any forum is about (within reason obviously).

No forum is a utopia, there will be disagreements, harsh words and arguments and if you can't live with that then I think people need to question whether they should be involved with forums at all. ST is certainly no different to any other in this respect! Although I would say that the atmosphere and welcome here is far better than many other forums in my experience.

I hope we as a forum are welcoming to new members and by no means should any new poster feel that they have to fall in line with others or be afraid to voice their opinions. I do think Argey has a point though - please do take the time to introduce yourself and get to know people a little, it takes time to find your feet in any group, in real life or online :)

Finally, tackling people in threads always leads to an argument. It is far, far better to contact one of admin/mods for help. On the top right of any post you will see a small triangle with a ! symbol, this is the report post function and if you press this and write a note in the box it will come to Graham, Sazza and myself and we can take any appropriate action that's needed.

Are Rocks losing money? I only have Freeview and they have lost their slot to Gems so I must assume they can't afford to keep it. It was getting very "samey",same gems,same styles,same gemstones,apart from some lookey likey rose quartz with mould. Still I do find I miss them,must be a sign on oncoming dementia and you could always cook a meal,do the housework and chat on the phone during a paraiba game.

Notes to self -

1. Stop being honest in expressing your opinion, lie to pacify those with a differing opinion.

2. Smile and thank anyone who choses to have a go because you chose to voice your opinion on a forum.

3. Sit back and watch mickey mouse presenters and believe everything they tell you and remortgage the house to buy some "investment" pieces. They must be right musn't they.

4. Agree with what everyone else thinks and says - don't upset anyone and remember points 1, 2 3 and 4.

5. Ask Graham to change the name of the forum to "Whatweloveaboutshoppingtellychannels.com" and never criticise as this may cause some viewers to become upset.

Everyone happy now???? :Bum1:

For goodness sake - I tell the truth as I see it. I have praised all the jewellery channels when they deserve it and I crticise similarly. This channel started off really well but how many of you don't watch anymore because of the presenters? I have said many times that I have made some lovely purchases from Rocks and Co. but how the frig can I buy anything else when I can't bear to watch??? Oh yes I remember - I just turn the channel and don't buy anymore. Well if everyone does that they'll sell loads won't they?

This is a free country and I am entitled to voice my opinion. I do not need people coming on here telling me what I should or shouldn't say or what I should or shouldn't watch. If you don't like my posts then don't read them. If I get angry or upset and come on here to express my views I do not expect people to personally attack me for it. I'm not religious but I wouldn't attack a practising Christian, Catholic, Muslim for their beliefs or views so I certainly don't expect anone to have the downright cheek to criticise me for my views or beliefs. This is a forum about Shopping TV channels and all my posts relate exactly that. None are personal to any member of this forum so please give me the same respect. If you want to say you disagree with my opinion and love all the Rocks presenters then that's great but you don't know me so have no right to tell me what I should or shouldn't do or what I should or shouldn't think.

Just for the record - I was a "newbie" here too at one point. I never found myself excluded by any cliques so perhaps it's all about how you interact with people. I have made some very good friends on here and was welcomed and helped from the start so don't go on about cliques because they don't exist - only groups of people who have respect and friendship.

'Looks at Klos's post. Raises (brown and white) hand to head. Looks amazingly amazed. Stammers in disbelief. Looks again with gob open. Nearly passes out'

Right then. So we can only say nice things about TV shopping presenters from now on?

Erm...nice wrists Vicki!.... :rolleyes:

'Looks at Klos's post. Raises (brown and white) hand to head. Looks amazingly amazed. Stammers in disbelief. Looks again with gob open. Nearly passes out'

Right then. So we can only say nice things about TV shopping presenters from now on?

Erm...nice wrists Vicki!.... :rolleyes:

:Laughing1: :Laughing1: By jove Calico my dear - you adapt quickly - want to give me some lessons?

Notes to self -

1. Stop being honest in expressing your opinion, lie to pacify those with a differing opinion.

2. Smile and thank anyone who choses to have a go because you chose to voice your opinion on a forum.

3. Sit back and watch mickey mouse presenters and believe everything they tell you and remortgage the house to buy some "investment" pieces. They must be right musn't they.

4. Agree with what everyone else thinks and says - don't upset anyone and remember points 1, 2 3 and 4.

5. Ask Graham to change the name of the forum to "Whatweloveaboutshoppingtellychannels.com" and never criticise as this may cause some viewers to become upset.

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO
4. NO
5. NO

We all like and loathe different presenters, on 18th April this site will have been running 8 years, I must have said this 100 times over the years, If you not watching your not buying, to watch I need to be entertained as well as sold to.

I think ShoppingTelly.com welcomes all newbies, however if being accused of being unwelcoming is not having the same opinion, then OK we are not welcoming.

I think the worst post, another I have seen time and time in 8 years is a member of staff from a channel telling me to switch off if I don't like a presenter, NO, I would prefer a better presenter be on my screen. I don't dislike that many presenters but Paul Bridges is the exception, unwatchable.

So Klosblue keep posting as you have, the good and bad of Shopping Telly.

Thank you very much Graham. I love this forum and will keep posting unless you ban me of course!!

Latest posts

Back