Freebies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I started in retailing in 1975, I'm still in retailing, no 'career break' either.

I've sold everything from apples and oranges (green grocer) to hand made shoes (a very old fashioned shop where all the staff were addressed as Mr/Mrs/Miss surname) to electricals (Currys) to cheap Chinese tat and books, and lots more.

I've never had a freebie but I've still been able to sell.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Craig already has a breadmaker from a previous sample. Why would he mention he hasn’t had one to try at home? There is absolutely no reason for him to have had one but they clearly have come to expect their constant supply of “ samples “.

30 or 40+ years on they are still going on about these highlights in their careers.😴

While it's nice to reminisce while chatting to friends it's about time these presenters realised that they're actually at the height of their careers (one that many would love even without the freebies) and start doing their ****** jobs.

Especially if they've had a freebie and have had time to get used to it. Then they have absolutely no excuse to coast along talking crap and should be able to present it in an informative way!

If any are reading, you're a presenter. Present!

I have no objection to them getting freebies, But :

In any ‘PAYE’ job, perks would be liable for tax as benefits in kind. I wonder if Q presenters declare their freebies as such ?

I don’t like the way they boast and talk smugly about being given items ‘to try’, when they know that we know they probably keep them.

They are already making a case that they are essential to their jobs, “ we get products to try. It’s our job “. Is it? I thought their job was to introduce the guest with the expert information and ask questions on our behalf. If HMRC could be bothered to investigate they would soon see how essential to their job freebies are. It’s interesting how it’s usually the more expensive items that become essential samples/freebies. It’s interesting that freebies are even sent out to people on leave. HMRC could also question how they manage to sell products that are not given as freebies.
All these freebies have become part of a deeply rooted practice at QVC and I am not sure that it will end well.

They get freebies and we get something far less appealing.

During the gardening show this morning, I noticed something appear on those annoying strap lines at the bottom of the screen. It said that refunds might be reduced in some cases, but didn’t specify anything further.

Maybe the money they save from reduced refunds will go towards paying for all the freebies. 😳

Katherine was presenting an item and she made a point of saying I paid for this with my own money. Yes thats what you should be doing!
Obviously they read the comments on this forum so here’s a message for Katherine and her colleagues.
Of course you should pay for it with your own money! Whose money did you want? Mine? Dust down your purses/wallets, come on you can do it.

Obviously they read the comments on this forum so here’s a message for Katherine and her colleagues.
Of course you should pay for it with your own money! Whose money did you want? Mine? Dust down your purses/wallets, come on you can do it.
But which one to dust, I expect that they all have a vast collection of Kipling's, Lulu's, Ashwood's etc etc....

All paid for with their own money of course!

They get freebies and we get something far less appealing.

During the gardening show this morning, I noticed something appear on those annoying strap lines at the bottom of the screen. It said that refunds might be reduced in some cases, but didn’t specify anything further.

Maybe the money they save from reduced refunds will go towards paying for all the freebies. 😳
Maybe they had to refund a lot of money on plants last year as things were taking ages to be delivered. As they don't ask for the plants back you could be exaggerating that they were dead/damaged. Garden Bargains asked me for a photo when I complained about plants, which I was more than happy to supply even if it is a faff, then I got a refund soon after.

CC

Whose idea was it that handing out freebies to staff etc would increase sales? Which business school did they graduate from? As long as the freebie nonsense persists at QVC they won’t get a penny of my money. I am not alone in feeling this way and let’s just say I used to be a good customer.

This is not unusual, most brands send PR products
I know that brands do the pr bit, but what I object to is fiona also recieved the TSV last week now this TSV. my grumble is how manyTSVs do these people receive or need? How much product can one person use? I honestly don't believe she would give a bad review after receiving such a substantial freebie and would praise the product regardless of whether it worked or not. Not only this, you really need to use products for a period of time to see any real results, I like fiona she is very knowledgeable and gives sound advice.
Prior to finding all of you lovely peeps I would have taken the presenter at their word and presumed that they, like me, had purchased the item....I was so naive!
After finding this site and reading the comments it's made me think twice about my own shopping habits, especially from QVC, thank you all for bringing me back down to earth. I would prefer it if QVC sent a selection of their customers the same TSVs and offered them the same opportunity, I would like to hear their reviews. I would rather hear what Beryl from Bristol has to say than a z list influencer. Better still, stop the freebies altogether. I work for the NHS we are grateful if we receive a packet of biscuits 😊

Whose idea was it that handing out freebies to staff etc would increase sales? Which business school did they graduate from? As long as the freebie nonsense persists at QVC they won’t get a penny of my money. I am not alone in feeling this way and let’s just say I used to be a good customer.
Personally that's not the reason I've stopped shopping with Q - For me, it's because they're no longer a viable place to shop for me - they're too expensive. They've become obsessed with "high end" brands and celebrity endorsements which push prices up. In days gone by you could look to Qvc to find innovative products and brands you couldn't find elsewhere. Their fashion brands may still be exclusive - In name only. There's nothing in the way of the "fashion" that they sell that you can't buy for a fraction of the price elsewhere, that'll be of comparative, and better quality - and will look much nicer too.
Postage and packaging is another bugbear - It's totally ludicrous in this day and age to be heaping P&P onto every item, and the very least, they should cap it. Delivery times aren't great, packaging is often flimsy, and if they think that offering half price postage on identical items constitutes any sort of a deal - they are very mistaken - as they are if they think that their 30/60 mbg is so good that it makes up for all their shortcomings. We know that this can result in extremely costly returns, and customers receiving used goods.
I'd been getting fed up with them for a while and kept promising myself to stop giving them my custom. I wasn't at all impressed when an item I'd ordered on waitlist for a certain date arrived without warning 2 weeks early, taking my money when I could least afford it, and a refund that took well over a week to process. I can proudly say that I've not bought anything from them for months and I intend it to stay that way, unless there's a radical change - I'm not holding my breath!
The contempt they have for their customers is palpable - and these freebies illustrate this perfectly. In the words of Ali Young "I'm bathing in asses milk for you"

I know that brands do the pr bit, but what I object to is fiona also recieved the TSV last week now this TSV. my grumble is how manyTSVs do these people receive or need? How much product can one person use? I honestly don't believe she would give a bad review after receiving such a substantial freebie and would praise the product regardless of whether it worked or not. Not only this, you really need to use products for a period of time to see any real results, I like fiona she is very knowledgeable and gives sound advice.
Prior to finding all of you lovely peeps I would have taken the presenter at their word and presumed that they, like me, had purchased the item....I was so naive!
After finding this site and reading the comments it's made me think twice about my own shopping habits, especially from QVC, thank you all for bringing me back down to earth. I would prefer it if QVC sent a selection of their customers the same TSVs and offered them the same opportunity, I would like to hear their reviews. I would rather hear what Beryl from Bristol has to say than a z list influencer. Better still, stop the freebies altogether. I work for the NHS we are grateful if we receive a packet of biscuits 😊
I worked for the public sector, Civil Service then education, & obviously we didn't get anything, even gifts from students were scrutinised. When I started my first job in a benefit office I had to buy staples because the official order was delayed, the only box I could find contained 10,000, more than 40 years later I'm still using them!

Latest posts

Back