Have a good Christmas everyone!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Christmas can pile on the pressure. Ignore the perfect images and remember people put their best, not their truest images to the fore. Your Christmas is enough and important and maningful to you. Be kind and don't worry anout trying to match hat others appear to achieve.
If you have it simple and alone, or with friends and family it's a lovely day to share however you chose to.

I worked boxing day and we were swamped by people shopping the sale.
I was constantly asked if this or that had been reduced.
I explained to one woman that reductions were still being loaded to the tills so they may well be reduced as the day went on, and she stood there and berated me that this was not good enough, and that we should have worked Christmas day to get all the sale items priced.
I was putting some half price Christmas tat on display a woman barged into me knocking me over so she could get her hands on them.
What were they? Christmas yoyos reduced from £1.00 to 50p, and no, she didn't apologise.
I need to get out of retailing!

Some people are awful. They think you are a servant if you work in retail or hospitality and never think some people give up their Christmas so others can have a nice time/shop the sales/have a good meal/get bargains. I used to work in retail but it would be my last choice now.

CC

I think that non food shops shouldn't open on boxing day, why can't people wait to hit the high Street, even our local Lidl was closed yesterday although Sainsbury's was open, what is the matter with people. It would be great if the large supermarkets closed and if smaller convenience shops want to open that's up to them, I know some people may need to use a chemist or go out and get a pint but not everywhere needs to open

I went into town today, bought some normal food I needed.

Wandered into LUSH, they had loads of half price gift sets, and I said to the guy at the till, "Where are the rampaging hoards?" Seems they were there yesterday, they had a queuing system. Bought two Sleepy Bear Bath Bombs, so £3.50 for two. Molton Brown store was also empty SA very chatty. M&S two merino wool jumpers down from £29.50 to £9 each!!!! M&S did not open yesterday and gave the staff the extra day off. House of Fraser I have gift vouchers also empty, no idea what it was like yesterday?

My cousin worked in retail, and they hated Boxing Day, people trying to return stuff and then the sales hoards. There was a campaign for years asking the shops to stay closed on Boxing Day, never worked.

I explained to one woman that reductions were still being loaded to the tills so they may well be reduced as the day went on, and she stood there and berated me that this was not good enough, and that we should have worked Christmas day to get all the sale items priced.
I was putting some half price Christmas tat on display a woman barged into me knocking me over so she could get her hands on them.
What were they? Christmas yoyos reduced from £1.00 to 50p, and no, she didn't apologise.
I am disgusted but not surprised by the behaviour of customers. It's so cheap to engage with people with kindness, consideration and courtesy!

I really wish that these Boxing day sales were knocked on the head completely, imo Boxing day should be treated like Christmas day for non essential shops and should not be open at all. It would at least give retail workers a bliddy day off. It's bad enough having to work on Boxing day without stampedes of people all trying to get bargains. I can see why the stores do it as it's a day where a lot of people aren't at work so they're guaranteed the footfall - This is why Sundays are always so busy. Surely the sales can wait until the beginning of January like in the old days!

Not forgetting that between closing on Christmas Eve and reopening for Boxing Day sales someone has to reprice and get them onto sale rails etc.

I was in Marks today but hardly anyone there (it was early), the homeware department was empty but I don’t know if that was because of low stock or just being cleared to put out sale stuff.

I would say that 70% of our Marks stock are dresses, own and other brands, so this makes up a large proportion of the sale items, I saw nothing I wanted.

Mr L was standing near 2 ladies going through the sale rails. One shouted to the other “your coat isn’t in the sale” to which the other said “thank you god, thank you”. It would have been interesting to know the background of that purchase!

Chatting with an SA I know yesterday in House of Fraser, she even said there have been non-stop sales since Black Friday everywhere. And yes, she is right. I have been getting endless emails from companies about 20% plus off. The 50% sales are long gone now, if you are very lucky to might find something 30% off. So the whole manic rush on Boxing Day is silly.

Oh, I have sales items arriving today, ordered 23rd and also tomorrow as well. So the mad rush to the shops is not really needed. I mean NEXT opening at 6 am on Boxing Day, total madness.

Chatting with an SA I know yesterday in House of Fraser, she even said there have been non-stop sales since Black Friday everywhere. And yes, she is right. I have been getting endless emails from companies about 20% plus off. The 50% sales are long gone now, if you are very lucky to might find something 30% off. So the whole manic rush on Boxing Day is silly.

Oh, I have sales items arriving today, ordered 23rd and also tomorrow as well. So the mad rush to the shops is not really needed. I mean NEXT opening at 6 am on Boxing Day, total madness.
I worked with a girl whose family didn't do Christmas lunch or presents. The highlight for them was going and queuing outside Next in the early hours of Boxing Day for the sale.

I worked with a girl whose family didn't do Christmas lunch or presents. The highlight for them was going and queuing outside Next in the early hours of Boxing Day for the sale.
I really don't get the hype about the Next sale - It's irrelevant in this day and age. Back in the days of the "Next directory" that you actually had to pay for, when were regarded as high end, then this sale was much anticipated.

Latest posts

Back