I know I should get a life but...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

People who spell grammar as grammer :grin:

As for spell checkers, they don't often pick up on grammatical errors, and when they do they often try to change something which is correct in my experience.
I have sat and watched people using a spell checker click "ignore" on all the errors. Seems if you can't spell you don't question why the spell checker thinks it's wrong either :giggle:

That reminds me of a poem I was shown years ago about spell checkers.

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Forgot to mention another thing that I have noticed recently on TV programmes. The use of the words "floor" and "ground". Several times, people have referred to people who are "lying on the floor" referring to someone who has collapsed on the street. I would say they are "lying on the ground". To me, floor refers to inside a building while ground would be outside, like lying on a footpath or road. A small matter, but it annoys me a little.

In a similar vein, people who say "chair" instead of "seat", for example an ex-colleague used to talk about getting a chair on the train :headbang: To me, a chair has legs and can be moved, and a seat is fixed or built-in and cannot be moved.

My boss can't understand the difference between 'accept' & 'except'.It really annoys me, especially when he sends official e-mails with the mistake on them.
Makes him look like a fool IMO.

Ditto for effect and affect; continually and continuously.

My boss can't understand the difference between 'accept' & 'except'.
It really annoys me, especially when he sends official e-mails with the mistake on them.
Makes him look like a fool IMO.

Another one from last week.
He was going out to a meeting, so he sent an e-mail to all staff:-

'If anyone once me, Ill be back at two'.

:angry:

The phone lines are busy "for you", we're approaching limited stock "for you" - what does that mean?? AY says it all the blinking time, literally.

Both AY and Keeley Aydin keep using the phrase "on a weekend" - drives me nuts. You can use your spa products "on a weekend".

I thank you.

They also say "on a night".

Gemma1 - please don't apologise for wanting people to do the right thing with our language, which I sometimes think is one of the few things left to be proud of in this country (sorry to be controversial.

It does, however, illustrate how far the standard of basic education has gone backwards, in my opinion, since I was a boy, which is a long time ago. It's no coincidence that universities complain that new undergraduates seem to have such poor English Language skills.

I can't think at this minute about QVC presenter abuses of English but I do get irritated by Labour MP, Alan Johnson, who seems a thoroughly decent bloke. However, he can't say "secretary". He invariably pronounces it SECKERTREE".. Irritating!

Now better do a quick spell check before I post this!

Battery pronounced at batree, I seen, I done and the grinding of teeth inducing "them" instead of "those ".
Mangling language is not sweet, cute or endearing and at its worst is potentially dangerous , incorrectly conveying information about medical matters and it does happen unfortunately. Clarity of expression is a beautiful thing :giggle:

Great thread.
Am I the only one irritated by "ahead of time" used instead of "in advance"?
I know I've banged on about this before but unless you have a time machine it's impossible to get ahead of bl@@dy time!!! JR was the original user of this but it's spread to some of the other presenters now grrrrrrrrr.

Also, people who say eggnore instead of ignore really grate on me.

Oh and people who put "ov" in a text instead of "of". Why? It's the exact same number of letters and presses on the buttons so why do it?
:angry:

I was thinking about this thread as I work with a young woman who does not have the greatest command of spelling and grammar. She spent most of her childhood caring for her mother who has a long term health problems and this impacted on her education. She is so talented, a complete natural when it comes to composing fluent and eloquent prose. She is also aware that she makes errors and as we work in a small friendly team we all support her. It is lovely to see her gain confidence and learn. I guess the point I am trying to make is that not everyone mangles the English language through laziness, some people have been disadvantaged during their school days. Not sure this applies to QVC presenters though!!

Silversequin your post is spot on. The woman you work with was at a definite disadvantage (don't get me started on using children as carers, rage alert!) but wants to and seems to enjoy improving situation. Then we see the other side, people who could have taken advantage of educational and other opportunities but just don't seem to see the point which is actually quite sad since English is a beautiful rich language that allows us self expression in a glorious way if we want it.

I am half American, and whenever I speak to my family across the pond I find myself reverting to my father's accent. I also find myself using words that I wouldn't normally use in my day to life. I mention this because a lot of the pet hates featured on this thread are colloquialisms, which are of course innocent phrases people revert to when they feel comfortable and amongst their own. I think it is wonderful that language is such a pliable form of communication with new words and expressions constantly seeping in. I mean, where would we be without jargon and slang? If I had said "I wanna bonk that chav" aloud in 1943 nobody would have known what I meant, whereas you lot immediately understand what I'm saying. On the other hand, chances are that a lot us would not fully understand some of the phrases used by people back in 1943. Language is alive and living, a constantly evolving entity, and that is exactly how it should be. I'll probably be shouted down for this, but I do think dropping haitches is the modern day equivalent of spreading brand new language seeds.

I also think it is rather unfair to expect that language, grammar and spelling should mean the same to everyone. I am a scientist by profession and nature, and to be absolutely honest English bored the pants off me at school. How I wished those utterly boring lessons away! I make atrocious grammar and spelling mistakes on a daily basis, yet I don't lose any sleep over it. If, however, I make mistakes with issues to do with treponema pallidum haemagglutination or adenosine diphosphate it will bother me for weeks, months, even years. This doesn't mean I don't care about our language and its use - I actually DO think it is important, but not overly, TERRIBLY so. The ones who really do care about the finer points will duly become our beautiful speakers and magnificent writers. We desperately need those, so that's great. The ones that don't care all that much will still be understood. The ultimate aim when using words is communication, and this is something most people do master.

A perfectly reasonable point of view "dinglegangle" but I do think our language and the way we use it is important. When you hear people use English really well, I think it's fantastic. Whatever we think about his politics, Enoch Powell was a brilliant speaker and wordsmith. Also, Winston Churchills's wartime speeches must have been so inspiring to listen around 1940 when an invasion was expected anytime. Somehow, I don't think the nation would have rallied round like it did if Churchill had come on the radio and said "Look, like, we've gotta do sumfink abaht this bloke 'itler, like, innit!"

'nuff respect!!

Latest posts

Back