Im done with buying Yankee candles.. They get on my wick

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
I think in some respects it would be cheaper to burn rolled up fivers placed in sandpots

Also, the number of times I have forgotten to extinguish the flame before rushing out of door. All in all, not worth it...
The scent just does not last at all. It never used to be this way. It seems now, the candles are 'diluted'

The problem is finding a replacement. I remember years ago QVC used to sell a globe thing with swirling water, are these any good? Are there people out there who also have walked from Yankee and have found a better alternative?

I guess the key needs for myself would be longevity of scent, safety, and not too synthetic (I am up there when it comes to allergies/eczema)

any feedback on this. All I ask is a sweet and fresh scent when I walk in my front door! (BTW Im a very clean living bird, just in case I give the impression I dont clean my home) LOLOL

I suffer allergies and thought I'd be able to burn Yankee. Well, we know what thought did! Not a chance, not even the tarts.

I've given up completely now and stick to flameless. No reactions and no chance of accidentally burning the house down (though, now that I've said that, the batteries will probably explode or something :doh:).

I've just got into reeds, quite like them. Surround the bottle with same smelling potpourri from Asda or Matalan on a pretty dish and it makes a nice display. Bottle, potpourri and dish a tenner!

I stopped using Yankee because they seemed to give off a 'petrol' type smell and the fragrance didn't make much of an impact. I switched to Milkhouse Creamery and love them. They're soy and beeswax and the scent permeates through the whole house. I use reed diffusers in the bathroom and downstairs cloakroom .......... but they're not Yankee ones.

I also use flameless candles.

I stopped using Yankee because they seemed to give off a 'petrol' type smell and the fragrance didn't make much of an impact. I switched to Milkhouse Creamery and love them. They're soy and beeswax and the scent permeates through the whole house. I use reed diffusers in the bathroom and downstairs cloakroom .......... but they're not Yankee ones.

I also use flameless candles.

thats what I have recently discovered .. thats why I suspect change of recipe

Yes, I changed to Prices Candles, I only wanted the ambience (ooh get me) of a t-light and a faint smell, I get this with Prices, reasonably priced on TSV day so I stock up. I used to get the same effect from Yankee, flickering candle and faint aroma but it cost me four times as much.

Last edited:
I bought two of the swirly water purifiers when they were sold on IW years ago. They were called Goodsphere and I still use them occasionally. They give an "instant hit" of fragrance and are very effective for sudden pongs eg cat using litter tray just before visitors arrive ar very strong cooking smells. The Goodsphere are very expensive now but you can get cheaper ones on Amazon if you do "air purifier" search. The brands are PureAire, Amos and Sentik.

I used to buy tons of Yankee tarts and the scent used to be really strong and go round the whole house. Not now. There are one or two where they still smell quite strong but a lot of them aren't smelling of much these days. The wrapping has definitely changed as it is now a loose fit so it wouldn't be a surprise if the recipe had changed as well. Charge more and put less in them = more profit and that's what it's all about these days. My purchases will be few and far between.

CC

I've kind of given up too but for a different reason.

I love the large jars but they tunnel whatever I do almost. They are NOT in a room with draft and they still tunnel. I have tried lighting them for 6-8 hours and they still almost always tunnel. On advice I have tried to cover the jar in foil (this does help to some extent but looks very ugly). And I have even bought two of the (not my taste, sorry) shades as I have been told that would help too (did not do too much difference).

I have quite a few of the big jars (20?) and have now not burnt any for about two years I think. You simply can not be sure you will be in and watch a candle ALL day (still being likely to get tunnelling) and therefore I don't light them. Such a shame. If anyone has any other suggestions for this I would be sooooo very grateful. Thanks in advance :)

(PS. Sorry for a slight hijacking of the thread, but the subject seemed kind of relevant....)

i find the illuma lids really help as they are metal and distribute the heat well. you may have to use foil as well depending on how solid/cold your wax is. i usually need 4/5 hours but can get a pool in around an hour with a illuma lid

I agree boffy. I always use a shade so was amazed when Golden Sands tunnelled recently. The Illumalid corrected that and I didn't have to cut any surplus wax away from the edges either. A very good buy.

I have to say never really been a fan of Yankee, I have bought the odd one and even been given as a gift. They are dirty, the fragrance is rubbish. SpaceNK own brand(I wait for the sales to buy at less than half price), are so much better. Diptyque are the holy grail for me, but only buy in the sale at half price or if given money to treat myself.

I am finding the fragrance of YC isn't so good now so I have switched to Village candles, they are lovely.

Wild sea grass is rubbish compared to dune grass, greenhouse and garden hideaway, which is a shame as I bought quite a few of them. Summer scoop, however, is strong, as is my current favourite turquoise sky. I'm keeping a list of the strong ones and the rest are history.

CC

i buy lots of other candles yankee are my everyday ones but i get really beautiful perfumed ones from tk maxx that have more unusual fragances

I only buy the tarts now, the jars have never given a strong smell, imo. I used to break a tart into 3 parts burn each parts twice using Asda t-lights, around 4 hours each t-light, so in all getting around 24hr from 1 tart.

Now I burn half and only get the smell for 1 burn of a t-light.

When I was using a third of a tart the smell could be smelt all around the house, no so much now. Definitely done something with the fragrance.

For those people who do use the jars, if you don't have the Luma lid then make a collar out of tin foil and wrap around the top of the jar, fold over a little just to stop it sliding off, sorts out the tunneling.

I've never been a huge fan of Yankee - most of the scents I liked are no longer available and I prefer the double-wick jars which are hard to find.

I buy in Homesense/TK Max sometimes - Park, Bahoma etc. are lovely. I also like the little Seda tins (great for bedside table), Voluspa, St Eval and some of the ones in metal tins. I get tea lights in Sainsburys, M&S etc. - a bit hit and miss with fragrances but they are good for freshening up kitchen/dog smells :sun:

Always on the lookout for scented candles and like looking in gift shops for something a bit different.

I've never been a huge fan of Yankee - most of the scents I liked are no longer available and I prefer the double-wick jars which are hard to find.

I buy in Homesense/TK Max sometimes - Park, Bahoma etc. are lovely. I also like the little Seda tins (great for bedside table), Voluspa, St Eval and some of the ones in metal tins. I get tea lights in Sainsburys, M&S etc. - a bit hit and miss with fragrances but they are good for freshening up kitchen/dog smells :sun:

Always on the lookout for scented candles and like looking in gift shops for something a bit different.

bahoma and parks are some of the best candles ever specially for the price. they burn clean as are vegetable wax and use essential oils which smell superior to the majority of yankees. but yankee fill a void as i tend to keep my other candles for a real treat

I used to wax lyrical about YC from QVC but like many of you have found they now lack strength of smell, they tunnel even with a few hours burn and they burn with a dirty flame that blackens the jar rim and even the wall. The exception being the YC I buy in Florida which don't do any of the above and produce an aroma that gently wafts around the house.

Is it possible that YC are made especially for QVC to a different "recipe", ie cheaper poorer quality ?

Latest posts

Back