Is Julia Okay

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I live on my own have no family just a distant cousin and am used to doing everything myself and am surrounded by women who sit back and let their Husbands/ partners/ family members do everything for them.I have ‘bitter’ self indulgent moments, poor me!— then think I know where I stand in life, do what I want, when and how.Families and marriages in later life are not all cosiness and caring, independence and a coping attitude can be something to be proud of.
I know a marriage is meant to be mutual support... but if it turns into one person exclusively doing certain things it can be hard to adapt in later life when one partner dies and the other has to carry on.
If one always cooks and budgets, and they go first, the difficulties the remaing person faces must probably amplify the sense of loss they experience.

I live on my own have no family just a distant cousin and am used to doing everything myself and am surrounded by women who sit back and let their Husbands/ partners/ family members do everything for them.I have ‘bitter’ self indulgent moments, poor me!— then think I know where I stand in life, do what I want, when and how.Families and marriages in later life are not all cosiness and caring, independence and a coping attitude can be something to be proud of.
I’m in the same position as you Silver Fox and I sometimes think “poor me“ too but then I look around and see how my married friends are constantly compromising, even the “happily married” ones are always striving to keep their other half happy. It must be exhausting whilst I only need to please myself. I can watch what I want on the telly, eat what I want , when I want and turn the heating up to full if I want. No compromising here!

Yes, my mum always favoured my sister. Still does.

CC

I’m in the same position as you Silver Fox and I sometimes think “poor me“ too but then I look around and see how my married friends are constantly compromising, even the “happily married” ones are always striving to keep their other half happy. It must be exhausting whilst I only need to please myself. I can watch what I want on the telly, eat what I want , when I want and turn the heating up to full if I want. No compromising here!
And, what goes on behind closed doors we can only imagine. Sometimes, when the front door bangs shut, Mr or Mrs Hyde emerges.

Mum passed at 84 and Dad at 92 and I miss them dearly. I don't have a husband or kids, and even in my 70's its hard not being someone's No.1 priority anymore - well, except the dog's.

Not looking for sympathy as I'm well used to living on my own now, but my brothers have their own families so I'm well down the list of being thought about. I can therefore sympathise with those elderly who are also on their own, some of whom do have families but who are "too busy" to bother with them except a 5 minute phone call once a fortnight if they're lucky. They'll be old someday themselves.
'What goes around, comes around', can very often prove true. I've seen it happen, and can't help but get a malicious kick out of it.

I know a marriage is meant to be mutual support... but if it turns into one person exclusively doing certain things it can be hard to adapt in later life when one partner dies and the other has to carry on.
If one always cooks and budgets, and they go first, the difficulties the remaing person faces must probably amplify the sense of loss they experience.
That's why I like LATting (Living Apart Together).

We both have our own houses and are independent, but stay with each other whenever we like, but can have our own space when needed, so it has lasted over 17 years.

We both have our own houses and are independent, but stay with each other whenever we like, but can have our own space when needed, so it has lasted over 17 years.
Yes I enjoyed LATing for about 18 years before me and my other half finally bought a house together, I have no regrets, but sometimes do miss a bit of time on my own, although that sounds terrible, but we do spend time apart as we both support different football teams so when we go off to matches its a bit of an escape, I would hate to be on my own full time but would have to get used to it if I am in that position at some point, sadly that's the way life goes and just got to get on with it

Me three. I have become a stranger to compromise at this stage in life.
I’m so sorry for all your losses and I send a massive cyber hug to you all .. ❤️ I have my own bereavements but I just can’t physically write them down .. 😢 I understand the pain of losing parents .. just can’t elaborate ❤️
Sending a big cyber hug back to you and others who feel the same levels of pain. As Queen Elizabeth II once said, grief is the price we pay for love; and as William Shakespeare said, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

This sounds very sensible. Achieving relationship milestones can sometimes be the knell of doom for a relationship. I have friends who stopped at moving in together and getting engaged 40 years ago. It worked for them. Others have seen their relationships founder on the rocks of increased commitment.

And, what goes on behind closed doors we can only imagine. Sometimes, when the front door bangs shut, Mr or Mrs Hyde emerges.
Horror stories in some cases. I have seen outwardly happy couples where physical violence is the norm behind closed doors, in some cases needing extensive dental work or plastic surgery. The resultant painkiller addiction, low self-esteem and guilt... with children witnessing this and even being subjected to violence themselves. One situation got so bad her (soon to be ex) husband did time for attempted murder... it's a good argument for resisting whirlwind romances, imo.

Back to the subject of Julia. I saw her on today’s Friday fashion. She was wearing a straight navy orange black dress (or skirt & top, couldn’t tell) with dark opaque tights and ankle boots (complete with toes and heels !).

She looked really nice. Slim, arms covered and neat feet. She was even nice to Jenny Blackhurst in a very genuine way.

Do you knit CC or is the ball of wool for the cat to play with. This sounds a silly question, but it is genuine. Is the Mr the whisky collector?
I do knit, I have a little sideline where I knit and sell dolls clothes to the Americans. All above board. We can't have a cat as Bry would chase it until it died.

The whisky collection consists of one bottle at a time as there's no way they would stay unopened in our house lol. We both like a wee nip.

CC

Back to the subject of Julia. I saw her on today’s Friday fashion. She was wearing a straight navy orange black dress (or skirt & top, couldn’t tell) with dark opaque tights and ankle boots (complete with toes and heels !).

She looked really nice. Slim, arms covered and neat feet. She was even nice to Jenny Blackhurst in a very genuine way.
I agree. She looked lovely.

I do knit, I have a little sideline where I knit and sell dolls clothes to the Americans. All above board. We can't have a cat as Bry would chase it until it died.

The whisky collection consists of one bottle at a time as there's no way they would stay unopened in our house lol. We both like a wee nip.

CC
Thank you for explaining. I'm the same way with chocolate. If it's in the house, I will eat it. And not only one square either. I have no control, so the bar will be gone in no time. Bri would be jealous of a cat, since he's the capo.

I agree. She looked lovely.
JR did look nice in the dress. I noticed one withering expression on JR's face directed at Jenny when Jenny mentioned eating sausages outside in the garden while wearing Kim's warm beany hat. Either JR doesn't approve of meat eaters or she felt the attention had left her and passed to Jenny. It seems ridiculous, but these petty power struggles between presenters show up often and it's interesting to notice them. And funny, too.

JR did look nice in the dress. I noticed one withering expression on JR's face directed at Jenny when Jenny mentioned eating sausages outside in the garden while wearing Kim's warm beany hat. Either JR doesn't approve of meat eaters or she felt the attention had left her and passed to Jenny. It seems ridiculous, but these petty power struggles between presenters show up often and it's interesting to notice them. And funny, too.
Julia is vegetarian. Well at least she used to be, and I’ve not heard her say anything to make me think she’s now an omnivore 😂

CC
Both liking a wee nip made me laugh. Such a Scottish description! Is it cold enough for a wee nip today? Seems unusually hot here (Scotland too) but maybe it’s always a good evening for a wee nip in your house (no offence meant)?

Latest posts

Back