Is Keenan getting worse ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cabbage Clock?? I work in a school and the new primary ones arrived today. I like to look at the names as they get more odd or old fashioned every year. There's a Winnie, a Roo (honestly there is), two Beau's, Daisy, Imogen, Isa (Still Game anyone!), Summer and more. Had I had children it would have been John or Joy.

CC
All the others would ask why they had such odd names.

I've heard that the very posh people decide each year which are the "in" names for their children.

Then the hoi pol-oi cotton on to these names about 10 years later and start using them themselves.

But it is rumoured that the posh people know the dates when the names were first introduced, so when they meet people. they can tell ,depending on the person's age, whether they are genuinely posh or just hoi pol-oi copycats. It's a bit like the Mason's secret handshake lol.

We were discussing names at work this week . Older ones had several names, often being called a shortened/pet name whereas the younger ones called their kids the one name they wanted eg Billy rather than William or Lily rather than Elizabeth. One told of a grandmother who had 13 names but called Maureen!

I do like Alison, but wonder how on earth she keeps up the pace! She must be exhausted after a two hour show! She is always well turned out, and looks like she’s made an effort, which is more than I can say for some of the other presenters these days. I’m not liking her hair at the moment, much too blonde and becoming helmet-like. In fact I think a few of them have gotten hold of the bleach bottle, Chloe has gone very blonde, Jill needs to do something with the colour and cut,and Jackie is a disaster! Her hair is in shocking condition, looks like frayed rope! not a good advert for all the wonderful, amazing, over priced tools and products that they sell.
I remember Jackie when she was a newsreader & she always had immaculate hair in a Bob. Now it is a total mess. I don’t get this messed up hair look at all.

My mum was Stella May(she was born in May), now she was born in 1920. She was known by everyone as La La. My granny her mum was also Stella with about 4 other names I would have to dig out her birth cert to know the others but one I remember clearly was Hubbard! She was Scottish so whether they were something to do with other family names no idea?

I have mentioned before, working in the passport office in the 90. We got some rather strange ones. The most famous was Mrs. Wally Chicken. Now she was elderly and renewing her passport, but when she first applied she must have had to send birth and marriage certs. So her birth cert must have shown her name as Wally. We thought perhaps her dad was killed in the war, and they named her for him?

My mum was Stella May(she was born in May), now she was born in 1920. She was known by everyone as La La. My granny her mum was also Stella with about 4 other names I would have to dig out her birth cert to know the others but one I remember clearly was Hubbard! She was Scottish so whether they were something to do with other family names no idea?

I have mentioned before, working in the passport office in the 90. We got some rather strange ones. The most famous was Mrs. Wally Chicken. Now she was elderly and renewing her passport, but when she first applied she must have had to send birth and marriage certs. So her birth cert must have shown her name as Wally. We thought perhaps her dad was killed in the war, and they named her for him?
I love Stella, such a pretty name & how wonderful to be called star in Italian ⭐

Top boys and girls names in the UK according to The Independent
  1. Muhammad
  2. Noah
  3. Oliver
  4. Theo
  5. George
  6. Charlie
  7. Leo
  8. Harry
  9. Freddie
  10. Jack
  11. Arthur
  12. Archie
  13. Finley
  14. Henry
  15. Jaxon
  16. Louie
  17. Lucas
  18. Thomas
  19. Alfie
  20. Oscar
  21. Lily
  22. Amelia
  23. Sophia
  24. Olivia
  25. Ava
  26. Isla
  27. Rosie
  28. Aria
  29. Freya
  30. Ella
  31. Emily
  32. Mia
  33. Isabella
  34. Ivy
  35. Hannah
  36. Layla
  37. Grace
  38. Sophie
  39. Evelyn
  40. Evie

Top boys and girls names in the UK according to The Independent
  1. Muhammad
  2. Noah
  3. Oliver
  4. Theo
  5. George
  6. Charlie
  7. Leo
  8. Harry
  9. Freddie
  10. Jack
  11. Arthur
  12. Archie
  13. Finley
  14. Henry
  15. Jaxon
  16. Louie
  17. Lucas
  18. Thomas
  19. Alfie
  20. Oscar
  21. Lily
  22. Amelia
  23. Sophia
  24. Olivia
  25. Ava
  26. Isla
  27. Rosie
  28. Aria
  29. Freya
  30. Ella
  31. Emily
  32. Mia
  33. Isabella
  34. Ivy
  35. Hannah
  36. Layla
  37. Grace
  38. Sophie
  39. Evelyn
  40. Evie
There are lovely names on this list. It's actually a myth that Muhammad, with all its different spellings, is the most popular boys name in the UK; it's just that families that originated in the Indian sub continent see it as a blessing to name a baby after their prophet. I taught several boys with it as their first name & every one used their second 'given' name, many of which were Celtic! My little granddaughter wants her soon to arrive brother to be Aladiana :unsure:

I like Alison, but I have to agree with you. It's like a compulsion now. The verbal diarrhoea seems unstoppable. I ended up feeling frustrated for the guests.
And it's not for anything useful that she interrupts the guest. Not even to remind people how to order, or to say stocks are low. Just rambling unfinished sentences and an inane huff of laughter...
Mind you she is still more tolerable than an hour of Chloe.
Two hours having root canal treatment is better than 10 minutes of Chloe Everton. Most annoying presenter ever.

Self fulfilling prophecy?
They do say kids live up to their names!
I think we could do more with kids named Patience, Prudence, Hope, Honor and Charity!
Not sure what names would serve the same purpose with boys... but they are desperately needed. I am always heartened by kind, thoughtful, generous kids and young people... but they seem to be more like oases in the desert these days, rather than being the norm.

Muhammed might not be the most 'popular', but clearly it must be the most registered if its in the top spot. In light of recent events it could be holding the no.1 position for decades to come.

One of my great aunts was called Lettice which correctly pronounced is Le- Tis. Of course this being Lancashire and her being born in a small mill town with people speaking in a very broad Northern accent her name was always mispronounced and she was regularly called Lettuce of the vegetable variety.
The poor woman swore blind her Mother must have disliked her from birth so as to give her such a name, especially as her other sisters had names such as Gladys, Bertha and Mary. Consequently she shortened her name to Letty and us great nieces and nephews only ever knew her as Letty.
One of my Uncles, my Mum`s brother had the name Doc (as in Snow White ) and he hated his name too, so he insisted everybody called him Young D as his older brother was called David and he was known as Big D because he was 6ft 5" and was a locally well known amateur boxer.
Thankfully my Mum had the lovely name Grace and apart from Doc her Mother gave 8 of her 9 children either good solid boys names or nicely feminine girls names.

I had an aunt who was given Nora Betty as her fore names. No issue until Last of the Summer Wine... but the subject of much hilarity thereafter.

One of my Mum`s brothers had married a lady called Mona and when we were kids my Mum was a stickler about us writing Thank You notes if we received money, birthday cards or gifts from anybody.
One year my Uncle and his wife sent me a birthday card containing a 10 shilling note and so I sat down to write thanking them, I`d be about 8. Anyway I wrote the note, stuck it in an envelope addressed to Mr and Mrs S and Mum posted it.
A week or so later the Aunt and Uncle came to visit and my Mum was mortified as my Aunt told my Mum I`d written "Dear Uncle Bill and Auntie Moaner..... ". It was a genuine mistake on my part, I spelt it as I pronounced it.
Funnily enough many many years later and my Mum had died, as had Uncle Bill, my Dad still visited Auntie Mona and used to say she was Mona by name but Moaner by nature because in her old age nothing in life suited her !

Latest posts

Back