Liz Earle - New Partnership

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

her first ever job on GMTV, or more correctly TVAM was as a business and finance commentator, not a beauty expert.

its interesting that QVC didnt manage to buy her out - i bet they tried. she obviously wasnt willing to have the handcuffs put on her. clever woman.

Fair enough, I still hold though to succeed in TV you have to have the survival instincts of a shark. I don't blame or condemn her in anyway for selling her company. I just wonder what it will be like for the employees. Will it be a bit of a Kraft/Cadbury type thing. Anyway Liz will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I think we all get sucked into thinking that these people on QVC are more than just sales people trying to sell us things. I think it may be a telly thing, as I was in the new dept store in Cardiff and went to the Liz Earle bit and the girl was nice and good but I kept my customary sceptism that I don't seem to keep when watching QVC.

I think we all get sucked into thinking that these people on QVC are more than just sales people trying to sell us things. I think it may be a telly thing, as I was in the new dept store in Cardiff and went to the Liz Earle bit and the girl was nice and good but I kept my customary sceptism that I don't seem to keep when watching QVC.[/QUOTE]

that is so true, I am hard nosed and cynical when on the dreaded high street, but QVC sucks me in like a weird cult and I contemplate buying nonsense that I would scoff at in a shop. In fact if anyone in a shop carried on lilke they do on QVC I would run off laughing. Things like endlessly applying lip gloss and perfume and gazing at fake diamonds as if they are peerless gems.

Fair enough, I still hold though to succeed in TV you have to have the survival instincts of a shark. I don't blame or condemn her in anyway for selling her company. I just wonder what it will be like for the employees. Will it be a bit of a Kraft/Cadbury type thing. Anyway Liz will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I think we all get sucked into thinking that these people on QVC are more than just sales people trying to sell us things. I think it may be a telly thing, as I was in the new dept store in Cardiff and went to the Liz Earle bit and the girl was nice and good but I kept my customary sceptism that I don't seem to keep when watching QVC.

i totally agree. ive always said it was a big act, like some stepford wife robot. no doubt her employees will be left alone initially, that will have been part of the deal. but i bet the Liz Earle customer services team doesnt exist as it does now in two years time.

the new john lewis in cardiff looks fab, ive been watching the documentary on the beeb. whenever ive been to the store in manchester and bought some mens shower gel (which really is nice) from the LE counter the assistant has been perfectly charming. what they havent done is screech in my ear about how much i need the shower gel, how its low in stock, how various celebs swear by it, whats in it, whats not in it, and how ,u life will be better if i buy it.

i prefer the john lewis approach.

i'm amazed its taken some of you so long to work out that LE is not the benevolent earth mother she makes herself out to be. its just business, she's taken the cash. no problem with that but drop the act luv.

Too true! I stopped buying her range years ago when she droped the Daily Eye Repair from 15ml to 10ml but kept the price the same!,then started offering tsv's packed with sample sized tiddly bits.Liz built a good skincare range with stamps of approval from the exzma (sp?) or psoriasis society,cruelty free,recycling etc...which all helped to further the brand,then she recieved an MBE which was the icing on the cake,was offered a large sum which made her quickly forget her selling spiel of being a small British company,enviromentaly aware etc and droped the company like a hot potato.:sad:

You could have knocked me down with a feather when I read about this.
I'm not bothered by who she sells out to but I've been wondering lately if LE products are actually as good as we're led to believe or do we fall for the hype?
LE is a brilliant and imo, mesmerising saleswoman. I think she goes deep into the psychology of selling, using words over and over like "plumping and firming, lifting and smoothing" She brings on all those pretty flowers and her oozing Aloe Vera plant that she's always slashing into:heartbroke: She inhales all her products deeply, sighing and rolling her eyes like a woman possessed.
Add to that the lighting effects that make her look about 25, her soothing voice and the fact that she's often colour co-ordinated to her products............have we been brainwashed I wonder?:cash::cash::cash:

Good post Rozzy. I do think she mastered the psychology of selling as part of her wealth-making masterplan, but it never worked it's 'magic' on me because I'm an ingredients list reading fiend!! I will say that she does have some good ingredients in her stuff - there are many much worse products out there - BUT she could go on about how safe parabens are until she's blue in the face, I've never bought it... literally. So I suppose it's a blessed relief to her to have sold off and taken a back seat: she'll never have to face another parabens query again in her puff, and she's managed to jump ship before too many more people become clued up. :cheeky:

I've only just stumbled across this by accident. I've used LE for a few years and I noticed the change in the CP, makes my skin feel drier and tender, like many other products do. I couldn't understand why she changed the ingredients, now it all makes marketing sense - cheaper to make. Its a shame, she has sold out to a big company, but it confirms the old saying MONEY SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS. I'm sure now other products in the range will be altered and I shall have to start again to find a product that suits my skin.
I suppose you can't really blame her for cashing in, its just that she always put so much importants on the ethics of the company and I cant see Avon keeping to it. I wonder if she will continue to front the brand.

I remember seeing an article about the Elizabeth's Daughter products with rave review for the glossing cream. Apparently it is a good more wholesome version of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.

I haven't tried it yet but have always had it in the back of my mind to give it a try when I run out of C&P and 8 hour cream.

QVC do a starter set for £25, item no 228372 and includes : facial Cream Cleanser (40ml), Daily Moisturiser (40ml), Purifying Mask (40ml), Soothing Glossing Balm (50ml) and bath & Shower Gel, all enriched with the finest botanical ingredients.

Last edited:
I too have just read this on Liz Earle website and was speechless to say the least, shocked and left with a feeling of being totally let down, I think may people though of the LE brand as one of trust and quality and liked LE morals and views on skincare and integrity of ingredients etc, I certainly did and was proud to say I used the products of a UK company. I assume Liz will be taking a back seat now and after all she is only the face of the company now and has really no final say in how and what goes into the products in the long term as she no longer owns the company, what an absolute shame for many many of her loyal long standing customers.

I am not impressed with Avon in the slightest, the customer service is excellent but the products are at the lower end of the market in terms of quality and I only hope that the LE range does not go the same way with cheaper ingredients, however I feel it will be inevitable in the end as they need to make a profit and a very good one.
I have used Liz Earle for nearly 10 years or so and have loved it until they changed the Cleanse & polish formulation, which I only found out thanks to this forum as I was left wondering why it wasn't removing my make up even after 2 cleanses for months before all was revealed on here!, I have since sold my stash of cleansers and now use Elemis Sensitive skin wash and the new Pro Radience cleanser, but still use most of the Liz Earle range especially the skin tonic and skin repair moisturiser.

On a final note maybe the company was struggling in the recession, skincare is one of the first things to be cut to a cheaper brand if you are on a strict budget, so perhaps a takeover was required to survive?

My OH has always maintained that despite her apparently soft and companionable exterior, Liz Earle is tough as old boots when it comes to business. OH outlines jokey scenario where the minute the director shouts "off air" at the end of her show her smile falls and five minnions scamper up to her proffering belgian chocolates and asking "is this alright for you Miss Earle?" whilst she barks an order for a £9 laateee and demands to know exact sales figures for the preceeding hour! This is not to say that she's not a nice woman to know personally, she's clearly very into her family and has a long-standing friendship with her company's co-founder. But to be that successful I just don't think you can be soft around the edges.

As I've only just joined ST recently I wasn't aware of the changes to C&P. Have to admit I don't use it all that often now as I find the cost mounts up - £10 per month on C&P just can't compete with the three months minimum I get from a Decleor cleanser ml for ml and I find that works for my skin just as well.

I attended the opening of the new Jo Malone in Belfast and got chatting.

Jo Malone sold to Estee Lauder for £15.000.000 and they where a small company too. So it acutally make the Liz Earle buy out cheap by the look of things.

I attended the opening of the new Jo Malone in Belfast and got chatting.

Jo Malone sold to Estee Lauder for £15.000.000 and they where a small company too. So it acutally make the Liz Earle buy out cheap by the look of things.

Has it been disclosed how much LE was sold for?

LE has 'sold its soul'

This is the headline of an article in our local paper on the sunny Isle of Wight. Liz apparently described the buy-out as a partnership between the two companies, although Avon has confirmed it is an all-cash acquisition.

The company based in Ryde employs more than 200 people on the Island, will continue to operate as a stand-alone brand under the leadership of oc-founders Liz Earle and Kim Buckland.

Liz Earle has received mixed reactions from fans of the brand.

Think I'll go back to Boots.

She always came across as so caring about the nations skin, as if what she was doing was purely for the love of all things botanical. I guess when it comes down to it, anyone with an idea, product, service are all businessmen/women, and can't resist a fast buck. I haven't bought any products for years, except Eyebright which I always got off the bay, but it wouldn't affect me if I was still a customer. Afterall, as long as the products remain the same, you get the same level of customer service (which, I may add, was always excellent) and the prices don't increase dramatically then I don't see the difference. People seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face, and what for? Because they don't like Avon? Because they are product snobs and don't want the local chavs using LE?!! :mysmilie_486: lol

She always came across as so caring about the nations skin, as if what she was doing was purely for the love of all things botanical. I guess when it comes down to it, anyone with an idea, product, service are all businessmen/women, and can't resist a fast buck. I haven't bought any products for years, except Eyebright which I always got off the bay, but it wouldn't affect me if I was still a customer. Afterall, as long as the products remain the same, you get the same level of customer service (which, I may add, was always excellent) and the prices don't increase dramatically then I don't see the difference. People seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face, and what for? Because they don't like Avon? Because they are product snobs and don't want the local chavs using LE?!! :mysmilie_486: lol

Yes but Avon will move production to Poland and the USA, so jobs will be going.

Liz Earle selling herself out

I read about Liz becoming a millionaire and selling her soul to Avon - ha ha will QVC want to stock her stuff now she has become an Avon lady. Wonder if it will get a mention on QVC today.

Wonder if it will get a mention on QVC today.

Fingers crossed that a TC rings in to rave about the products and then asks 'that' question. Wonder how quickly it'd take the phone to develop a fault and for the caller to be cut off in their prime? :wink2:

theres an american lady on with the liz earle rep i wonder if she works for the avon coperation:cheeky:

The american woman is the botonist,and no she isn't anything to do with Avon. I met her at the london store in January. She doesn't really 'fit the mould' like Liz's other staff: quite loud and brash. She also wasn't very good with the presentation she did about the botanicals and wasn't very good the last tme she was on QVC either. Very odd choice.

ETS just seen her on today's show, she looks as though she has been 'liz earled' to me! She looked like a bag of washing at the do I went to and was very load,almost screechy voice. She is much softer today. Mind you as Caroline just said,she started out as a PR for Liz Earle, which is what Liz does so well for her own company (PR) well, not her company any more,sorry!
The reason I object to Avon is that Liz has always been so proud of her bunny on her products denoting no animal testing,not even using products others have tested on animals. Avon DO use products that may have been tested on animals even tho they say they don't do any testing at all. At the end of the day I will use what I have and see what happens: there are plenty of other products out there,some of them much cheaper! Skincare isn't the most important thing to me,unlike some of the people on that forum that have been quite ott (devastated etc!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back