Mally a full time Mum?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bensmum

Registered Shopper
According to AY, Mally makes up all the celebs, does the fashion weeks across the world, runs her cosmetic business and is also a full time Mum. No she can't possibly be a full time Mum and do all that, not that I'm saying she's doing anything wrong if that suits her and her family

A full time Mum is someone who is there for her children whenever they need her and they come first no matter what. I was very fortunate that I had a job which allowed me to do that. I was self employed and worked from home, which was very flexible and I can honestly say my son always came first.

AY talks complete and utter tosh and should think before she opens her mouth.

I am not sure I agree. Working full time still needs that you are a Mum doesn't it? You have to organise their day, make sure you take them to the Dr's if they need to, if their ill you need to take time off, and still probably work from home to cover your lot. The worry if everything is ok with the childminder/after school club ect is there and the amount of time you spend on the phone to either one of them to check they are where they are suppose to be.....
and whatever job you have surely the kids always come first anyway?
au pairs/childminders do not take all the worry of you

this is not to take away from Mum's who stay at home, I have done both (10 years between my two) and much prefer that to working full time and being a Mum

Last edited:
I am not a mum, so you might argue that I shouldn't contribute to this thread. However, I would like to say that my mum worked full time for much of my childhood. But there was absolutely nothing 'part-time about her parenting. I rather think AY was pointing out just how busy Mally's life is - just like all mums.

I am not sure I agree. Working full time still needs that you are a Mum doesn't it? You have to organise their day, make sure you take them to the Dr's if they need to, if their ill you need to take time off, and still probably work from home to cover your lot. The worry if everything is ok with the childminder/after school club ect is there and the amount of time you spend on the phone to either one of them to check they are where they are suppose to be.....
and whatever job you have surely the kids always come first anyway?
au pairs/childminders do not take all the worry of you

this is not to take away from Mum's who stay at home, I have done both (10 years between my two) and much prefer that to working full time and being a Mum

A full time Mum doesn't need either of these.

all mothers are 'full time mums' imo. you dont stop being a parent the moment you are away from the little darlings. as for the use of child minders and after school clubs.... well i didnt realise that you had to stop actually living once you have children. i am a stay at home mother but i still have a life and when my son was younger i would regularly drop him off at my mothers when i went out and i took full advantage of his extra hour of sport on certain days.
tbh i think children need to see that their parents are actually people with interests and social lives and while i fully agree with the sentiment of 'my child always comes first' i think little johny should also learn to wait until the Wright Stuff has finished before mummy gets him a biscuit

A full time Mum doesn't need either of these.

well I for one would not have survived without them. I had no family live near me, and by the time No 2 was 3 I was a single parent of 2 (3 and 13). My job did not mean I could leave when school closed, so both au pair and after school facilities were absolutely totally essential for me and many other working Mum's I knew

I think people are reading something into my opening post which isn't there. I'm not saying for one minute that there's anything whatsoever wrong with using childcare if that's appropriate for your circumstances, nor are you in any way less of a mother for going out to work. If fact the opposite for some women is true. I have friends who consider themselves better mothers for it. I am simply saying that the term 'full time mum' shouldn't be used to describe someone who runs a global business and is constantly travelling all over the world for her job.

I agree with Bensmum,though maybe it boils down to different people using different phrases to mean different things. I see the term 'full time mum' to mean someone who doesn't have another job, so that mum-mimg is their full time occupation.

well that is just what I do not get. Why should she not be a full time mum despite it? She/no one leaves the kids at the door when she/they leave the house and lets them fend for herself? The responsibility is still there and you have to make allowances for all sorts of "emergencies" throughout the day, even if you are far away. No doubt she has help, hence post about au pair and childcare, and traveling with your job makes for even more interesting scenarios you might have to deal with from sometimes large distance away, even if its only leaving a meeting for 5 min to ring them and say good night due to the time difference. BUT they are your responsibility and you are their mum, away or not. So why does that not make her a full time mum?

I do know what you mean and I agee that if you're a mum you're a mum, that's it. People's dedication to their children isn't even part of it, just the phrase full time seems to relate to the world of employment, just like if you were a full time brain surgeon you wouldn't be able to be a full time plumber as well. Like I said its just the terminology for me.

But then you could argue that you are only a full-time mom if you are at home all the time and don't have another job to take care of. As Bensmum says, she is fortunate to be able to work from home but if we take that terminology you're not a full-time mom if you are also working.

My mom was at home for the first couple of years with me but I still spent time with my gran or great-auntie while she ran errands or did other things. If you a full-time mom doesn't need any of those things then, even if you don't work, do you stop being a full-time mom when your child joins a book club or any other after school activity? Surely not.

i'm not a mum but i would have thought once you become one it is a full time job even if you have to work your working for your kids to make sure they have as nice a life as possible you don't switch off being a mum when you go to work your always worrying about them did they get to school ok? etc etc for once in my life i think AY made sense now need a lie down lol

I was a full time surgical nurse up until I became pregnant then I was lucky enough to finish work to become a full time mum.
I understand we all not able to do so, with hubby working long hours in the summer and has previously been away with work, for us it was to provide stability for our daughter.

Whatever she is, she must have nerves of steel. I could never travel so far away from my children on such a regular basis.

When working I always like to be within easy travelling distance from home incase of an emergency, of which there have been a few, a couple of which ended up with hospital trips! This being so, I have not been able to further my career because I wasn't willing to make this sacrifice.

But as a business woman and entrepreneur Mally has to make sacrifices I suppose and one has to be not being a full-time-stay-at-home-mum, although she is a full time mum just not a stay at home one :cheeky:

Latest posts

Back