Miceal Taking A Year Off

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always think he is professional and very well planned. He has all the items in order with notes and something to say or ask about the product. He is the only male presenter I watch for fashion. Switch off for Charlie and his “faux ignorance” when he has presented item lots of times. Sorry

I hate getting asked directions by tourists!

A family of Indian tourists wanted to find the town hall. Now, before the city was built, we had a town hall building red brick early Victorian building. I asked, do you mean the city hall? Yes. See that large white building across the road, that is it. The old town hall is quite a bit away.

An English tourist wanted the river Lagan, simple lag an. I have no idea how he thought it was pronounced, but he was way off. I was totally confused, then he said he was looking for the fish statue. There is a large coloured fish statue, so I knew finally what he wanted. Okay, walk down this street, cross the road and there is it.

My worse, a man with a really heavy Glasgow accent. Yes, I was sitting at the bus stop with two pensioners, and he came over, and I swear it was like a foreign language. Now my granny was from Glasgow must have been the posh bit, as she was politely spoken. This man I could make out every other word he was saying, but the pensioners no idea. Turns out he wanted an ATM, pointed him to one.

My dad was from Dover in Kent and when I was a child my granny could not understand him at all! I am not joking, she used to say to me, What did he say? My dad spoke clearly.
Oh blimey! I remember having to give my best Weegie impression to communicate with a Glaswegian taxi driver who couldn't understand my fairly standard English, so I totally get the way accents can be a barrier to communication.

Pronounced MeeHal. We have a fruit shop near me, and it has Micheal on the sign but the own is said as MeeHal by the staff and himself.

We have duel street names in many places in Belfast in Dublin they still have the English name as well as the Irish names.

In Northern Ireland, we have a laugh at the way on news how the English say place names. Creagagh estate, just across from me gets Craigah whereas locals say Craigey. That is where George Best was born.

I won't even go near how we say Ahoghill. Just think you are trying to get something up from the back of your throat. :p
👋 lovely to hear your stories from Belfast and love the accent too!

I bet Catherine & Miceal will be popping out for coffee and cake most days while the rest of 'em are flogging polyester pant suits.

A family of Indian tourists wanted to find the town hall. Now, before the city was built, we had a town hall building red brick early Victorian building. I asked, do you mean the city hall? Yes. See that large white building across the road, that is it. The old town hall is quite a bit away.

An English tourist wanted the river Lagan, simple lag an. I have no idea how he thought it was pronounced, but he was way off. I was totally confused, then he said he was looking for the fish statue. There is a large coloured fish statue, so I knew finally what he wanted. Okay, walk down this street, cross the road and there is it.

My worse, a man with a really heavy Glasgow accent. Yes, I was sitting at the bus stop with two pensioners, and he came over, and I swear it was like a foreign language. Now my granny was from Glasgow must have been the posh bit, as she was politely spoken. This man I could make out every other word he was saying, but the pensioners no idea. Turns out he wanted an ATM, pointed him to one.

My dad was from Dover in Kent and when I was a child my granny could not understand him at all! I am not joking, she used to say to me, What did he say? My dad spoke clearly.
I grew up in Dover for 5 years frim the age of 5 in the army camp 😊👍

You should hear how my sister pronounced Dunlaoghaire,(hope the spelling is right) and when I was working there was a lovely lady called Grainne and she said I was the only English person who correctly pronounced her name.

Don't like watching Charlie Brook. He is very smug but I find him a bit creepy. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

CC
Same here.

There's an actress called Sairose (?) Ronan , and I've no idea how to say her first name. Then there is NIamh that's pronounced Neev. But then us English have peculiarities like Cholmondley is Chumley, and even the place LEOminster is LEMster. (?)

Miceal has now gone public on social media that he has been treated for colon cancer. He had surgery in February then he had chemotherapy which he finished recently and a recent scan has shown there is no cancer in his body.
What shocking news, but it sounds like he has had a good outcome. Thank you for the update Sazza. I like Micèal and wish him the very best adjusting to his new normal after what is undoubtedly a gruelling sequence of events and treatments.

There's an actress called Sairose (?) Ronan , and I've no idea how to say her first name. Then there is NIamh that's pronounced Neev. But then us English have peculiarities like Cholmondley is Chumley, and even the place LEOminster is LEMster. (?)
I think it is pronounced Sair-sha spelled Saoirse.
The mistake we make is understandable as we don't speak Gaelic or know how the letters in the Gaelic alphabet are pronounced... they look like the same letters so we pronounce them the English way. Welsh gets us the same way, as other languages can do too.

Latest posts

Back