Missing wedding rings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I sometimes get contact dermatitis flare ups on my hands, usually caused by a change of cleaning product or shampoo or anything my hands might come into contact with. It means for weeks, sometimes for months, I don`t wear my wedding ring or any other ring. I`ve lost count of the number of people who presume I`m not married because I don`t wear a ring. The same thing happens with watches, I get a painful flare up where the strap contacts the skin so I only wear a watch for very short periods and only when I need one.
My late sister worked in a munitions factory for a while and they were advised to remove their wedding rings but if they refused they could put tape around them. Sis decided to just not wear hers and only put it on if going out at weekends or for social occasions.
My oldest son doesn`t wear his at work either. He`s in the Army and he fears his ring could get caught on things and his Grandad`s words (my Dad) echo in his mind. Dad was a lorry driver back in the 60`s and the lorries were all flatbed ones back then. The drivers used to help load their lorry and would then sheet the load with tarpaulins and rope which would be secured on hooks around the side of the lorry. One day a fellow driver slipped whilst roping his lorry and his hand fell onto one of the hooks and it wedged under his ring and as he continued to fall, the weight of his body ripped the trapped finger right off.
I must admit when I was first married back in 1973 our flat had old fashioned windows which opened and closed with a metal latch which hooked onto a metal spike type thing and more than once it caught underneath my wedding ring and hurt like hell.
I reckon rings are a subjective thing and I`d never presume someone`s marriage had ended just because they don`t wear one. I have a female friend who runs a farm and she won`t wear rings, my youngest son`s partner is a nurse and she won`t wear rings and my middle son`s partner is a doctor and she won`t wear rings. Lots of reasons why people won`t or can`t wear them.

Does it matter if you're married and don't wear your ring? What about people that aren't married and DO wear wedding rings? Is that a thing too? Is it a bit nosey?

CC
I don't think it matters at all if you're married and don't wear a ring as well as vice versa. It's your own business. However, I think you're right that some people are curious and look straight to the ring finger to see if she or he is 'taken.' I must admit that I do it.

I was a bit of a precocious kid. I read "Woman's Own'.

I don't think it matters at all if you're married and don't wear a ring as well as vice versa. It's your own business. However, I think you're right that some people are curious and look straight to the ring finger to see if she or he is 'taken.' I must admit that I do it.

Yep, it stems back from the days (and it still might happen) when you're out for a drink / dancing / clubbing with the girls and you see a fanciable bloke, so what's the first thing you do ? look at his hand. Although I remember one chap removing his ring, but you could see the untanned ring mark on his finger.

Did we ever get to the bottom of AY's vanishing wedding ring? Didn't QVC even make a replica of it for sale? I remember the build up to the wedding and the video, showed on a loop over the festive season, when they used to suspend broadcasting for a few days, all those years ago.

Not all men wore wedding rings over the years, it was something more in vogue in recent years, the watching wedding rings. My big brother married in 1972 still wears his wedding ring.

If I saw a ring I’d assume they were married (although JR wore a set for 30 years unmarried) if none I probably would guess they may be in a relationship but not actually married but if I knew them I wouldn't need to guess and if I didn’t I wouldn’t really care!

I only wear rings when I’m out of the house and during covid I often didn’t and then only Eek . Since hand sanitizer has more or less died a death I’m back to normal rings and quite enjoying it.

Talking about people not wearing rings on there left hand and believed to be married I noticed Anne Dawson not wearing rings - have I missed something? She was looking fabulous last year but today I was shocked at her obviously dyed red hair which I thought didn’t suit her especially as her hairline was going sparse and her outfit looked dreadful. I wished I could be more positive but sadly can’t I’ve said it as I saw it 😢

I was a bit of a precocious kid. I read "Woman's Own'.
I confess to wearing a wedding ring when I’m travelling abroad on my own. Oddly it gives me a feeling of security ! At 67 I thought I’d be past the age of being ‘hit on’ by men who can’t bear to think a woman could manage to negotiate an airport terminal or hotel bar without their help. But no, I am. Only difference is the age and attractiveness of the men and the amount of hair on their heads versus that sticking out from their nose and ears.

It’s no exaggeration to say that women with their husbands in restaurants look straight to my ring finger when they realise I’m eating alone. They probably think their man is such a stud that I will tuck him under my arm and run off with him, never to be seen again.

What is gratifying is when nice young men are very polite and smile-y at the luggage carousel. Very useful when my heavy suitcase comes round. I always thank their partner for ‘lending me your man’. I’m sure they help because I remind them of their mums, but hey ho, I’ll take what I can get.

I confess to wearing a wedding ring when I’m travelling abroad on my own. Oddly it gives me a feeling of security ! At 67 I thought I’d be past the age of being ‘hit on’ by men who can’t bear to think a woman could manage to negotiate an airport terminal or hotel bar without their help. But no, I am. Only difference is the age and attractiveness of the men and the amount of hair on their heads versus that sticking out from their nose and ears.

It’s no exaggeration to say that women with their husbands in restaurants look straight to my ring finger when they realise I’m eating alone. They probably think their man is such a stud that I will tuck him under my arm and run off with him, never to be seen again.

What is gratifying is when nice young men are very polite and smile-y at the luggage carousel. Very useful when my heavy suitcase comes round. I always thank their partner for ‘lending me your man’. I’m sure they help because I remind them of their mums, but hey ho, I’ll take what I can get.

I recognise and empathise with that EM !!! Sadly there are no ageing Cary Grant's out there. (I won't say what most look like, or I'll be accused again by the thought police on here).

Talking about people not wearing rings on there left hand and believed to be married I noticed Anne Dawson not wearing rings - have I missed something? She was looking fabulous last year but today I was shocked at her obviously dyed red hair which I thought didn’t suit her especially as her hairline was going sparse and her outfit looked dreadful. I wished I could be more positive but sadly can’t I’ve said it as I saw it 😢
I had to come back and say I was channel surfing last night and Anne D was presenting on the Style Channel and she looked stunning - hair,makeup and outfit fabulous - I may have originally caught her on a bad day 💐

Yes, I can understand your view Apple. Different times now, but back in my day we worked ****** hard to get that ring on our finger I kid you not ! and a friend of mine laughingly said at the time she didn't want the words "Carole Ann ........ SPINSTER of this Parish" on her headstone - the ultimate humiliation :eek: ; it was the era of the Maiden Aunt don't forget. So to get the title 'Mrs' was when we knew we had grown up.

Latest posts

Back