Missing wedding rings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think I’m the only person at my work (about 18) who reads and that amazes me. Often they say they only read on holiday but then admit they didn’t get past page 10. They say they are too busy to read but are always able to discuss in full detail the ins and outs of Love Island!

If I had to choose the TV would be the last thing I’d keep. Books and music every time.

I think I’m the only person at my work (about 18) who reads and that amazes me. Often they say they only read on holiday but then admit they didn’t get past page 10. They say they are too busy to read but are always able to discuss in full detail the ins and outs of Love Island!

If I had to choose the TV would be the last thing I’d keep. Books and music every time.
When I go to the hairdresser's they talk about the soaps and reality programmes goes over my head as I don't watch any of them. Atm we are watching Queen on channel 5.

I keep saying to a friend who has short term memory loss, you need to start reading, even if only a page a day. They say reading helps with memory, she only every reads The Elvis Fan Club magazine she gets.

I had to go to outpatients two weeks ago and first thing find a book and put it in my handbag to read in the waiting room. Now, they do have TVs, but I preferred to read. Own two Kindles, but for some reason still prefer a real book to hold and read. The most complicated book I ever read was The Name Of The Rose, they made a film of it with Sean Connery. The book was a monster, if you put it down for more than a day, you just got totally lost. I used to hunt the True Crime section in my local library and remember the librarian telling me that it was women who seemed to read up on serial killers.

I had to go to outpatients two weeks ago and first thing find a book and put it in my handbag to read in the waiting room. Now, they do have TVs, but I preferred to read. Own two Kindles, but for some reason still prefer a real book to hold and read. The most complicated book I ever read was The Name Of The Rose, they made a film of it with Sean Connery. The book was a monster, if you put it down for more than a day, you just got totally lost. I used to hunt the True Crime section in my local library and remember the librarian telling me that it was women who seemed to read up on serial killers.
I had to go to the hospital the other week and was warned I might be hanging around for a while. My top priority was to take a book and after sitting arround for three hours I was so glad I had something to read. Everyone else was just staring at their phones.

I loved Jackie, don't remember it being racy😳
No, it wasn’t really. But this is my mother we are talking about, 😂😂. I also loved Anne of Green Gables and loads of Blyton books came my way. I remember getting the Bobbsey Twins annuals. Now the BTs were American, so that was a bit exotic for our house! (I mean the modern BT books, not the ones dating back to about 1900: I’m not that old, 😂)

I had to go to the hospital the other week and was warned I might be hanging around for a while. My top priority was to take a book and after sitting arround for three hours I was so glad I had something to read. Everyone else was just staring at their phones.
I’m just the same! Never go out without a book unless confident of not having to sit around waiting. I also changed my sleep routine after being in hospital in lockdown and getting used to the early rise, early sleep routine, and now go up before 10.00 and read for up to an hour rather than watching TV until 11. My quality of sleep is vastly improved. That may well be a coincidence of course!

Last edited:
I’d have been staring at my phone as well, because I’d have been reading on the Kindle app. 🙂
It comes out whenever I’m in any sort of queue, waiting for a show to start in the theatre or at intervals in show etc, etc.
Since retiring from full time work I do a couple of cleaning jobs and first thing I do when I arrive is stick an earbud in and connect to an Audible book (or sometimes a podcast).
It can get confusing though I as may have one book on the go on Kindle, another on Audible and an actual book as well. I read a lot of crime/legal/courtroom thrillers, both British and American and I have been known to wonder why character have changed ranks and been promoted, demoted or suddenly acquired a gun.

I used to read a lot, either a real book or on an app. Since starting to learn welsh about 5 years ago, I now read course / grammar books or short stories in welsh. Both myself and husband decided to do something to keep the brain cells active. It has been difficult at times but also fun and we have met a lot of new friends.

Definitely more advanced! I was reading Famous Five, Secret Seven, Mallory Towers, St. Clairs. We used to go to Clacton on holiday when I was a child and there was a second hand bookshop with a children's section, I loved that. I'm still reading, bought a Kindle during lockdown and I love it (always said I would never get one). I love real books but have a small flat. I've got hundreds of books on my Kindle and I've only used 20% of its space.
The one time my mother made me return my library selection without reading was when I had taken Forever Amber out... I was still in Primary School at the time. Strangely I never checked it our or bought it later.
My favourite school series was probably the Elinor M. Brent Dyer's Chalet School series... my general rule of thumb was if I saw and loved a film and it was based on a book I wanted to read it. I discovered Alexandre Dumas (The Three Musketeers), Baroness Orczy (The Scarlet Pimpernel), and Paul Brickhill (The Great Escape, Reach for the Sky) film first, then book.

I’d have been staring at my phone as well, because I’d have been reading on the Kindle app. 🙂
It comes out whenever I’m in any sort of queue, waiting for a show to start in the theatre or at intervals in show etc, etc.
Since retiring from full time work I do a couple of cleaning jobs and first thing I do when I arrive is stick an earbud in and connect to an Audible book (or sometimes a podcast).
It can get confusing though I as may have one book on the go on Kindle, another on Audible and an actual book as well. I read a lot of crime/legal/courtroom thrillers, both British and American and I have been known to wonder why character have changed ranks and been promoted, demoted or suddenly acquired a gun.
I have the kindle app on my phone too. It's so handy. I have several books on the go too, and get them mixed up at times 😁 I love crime novels the most, romances are not for me. I never go anywhere without access to a book. I remember reading 'My Family and other animals' on the train to work. At one point it was so funny I couldn't stop laughing and because I couldn't stop laughing, everyone around me joined in. I was trying my hardest to stop but I couldn't. It was hilarious 😂

I’m the opposite- if I see a film I never read the book or if I’ve read the book I won’t watch the film. The only exception has been My Brilliant Friend because the TV series is nearly word for word .
I have been to see films off the back of reading the book... I came out of the cinema fuming about inconsistencies after watching Enigma (written by Robert Harris). I was also not happy with the second Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings film...
It can go either way: film better/book better. I can now re-watch The Two Towers and Enigma, as I've accepted they are two separate mediums... reinforced by the improvement some films make to stodgy writing by the original author... imo most of the later Harry Potter books... and, for me, anything written by Thomas Hardy is preferable in screen form. I'd also say the same for most Charles Dickens too!

I have the kindle app on my phone too. It's so handy. I have several books on the go too, and get them mixed up at times 😁 I love crime novels the most, romances are not for me. I never go anywhere without access to a book. I remember reading 'My Family and other animals' on the train to work. At one point it was so funny I couldn't stop laughing and because I couldn't stop laughing, everyone around me joined in. I was trying my hardest to stop but I couldn't. It was hilarious 😂
You cheered-up that lot of miserable commuters, and started their day off well. Good for you, Anna.

I have the kindle app on my phone too. It's so handy. I have several books on the go too, and get them mixed up at times 😁 I love crime novels the most, romances are not for me. I never go anywhere without access to a book. I remember reading 'My Family and other animals' on the train to work. At one point it was so funny I couldn't stop laughing and because I couldn't stop laughing, everyone around me joined in. I was trying my hardest to stop but I couldn't. It was hilarious.
Oh, yes it can be troublesome to read something funny on public transport. A wonderfully descriptive,heavily caffeinated dinner scene in Fat Chance by Nick Spalding did for me. I think Mr MA was tempted to move carriages.

When I was at school we had a marvellous English teacher. She encouraged us to read for 20 minutes a day - even if it was just comics as it would still expand our vocabulary. Obviously she wanted us to read better stuff but I went to a rough comprehensive and she was being realistic.

And I heard a health podcast recently about the benefits of reading on our brain and memory, following the plot, imagining the details etc. It really does do us good.

I took out that Amazon offer last month for a couple of months free Kindle Unlimited, I know when I have to cancel. I can get through a book a week easily! I like the British Library Crime Classics, forgotten authors who have been re-discovered. I much prefer paper books but I have little room and I read more with a Kindle. Most of the classic authors like Dickens are free or 50p for whole collection as they are out of copyright. Needless to say I've got loads of the classic authors!

At present I'm enjoying Agatha Christie audiobooks on YouTube. How is it that Hugh Fraser's Poirot sounds more like Hercule Poirot than David Suchet's?
I also enjoy listening to Magpie Audio readings of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and other ACD stories.
If I find things I love I tend to gallop through the series (reading on Kindle) and then need to find another set of books to enjoy.
I've always lived reading since a very young age, and have been grateful for the way it helped me develop my brain, reasoning and vocabulary.

many years ago when I got my first kindle (on no 3] every tea break others in the office bought buns and papers but I bought a 99p book downloaded instead and always picked authors I didn’t know to take a chance on since it was so cheap and most were a good read with just a couple of mingers. I read about 3 per week so it would be expensive buying paperbacks

At present I'm enjoying Agatha Christie audiobooks on YouTube. How is it that Hugh Fraser's Poirot sounds more like Hercule Poirot than David Suchet's?
I also enjoy listening to Magpie Audio readings of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and other ACD stories.
If I find things I love I tend to gallop through the series (reading on Kindle) and then need to find another set of books to enjoy.
I've always lived reading since a very young age, and have been grateful for the way it helped me develop my brain, reasoning and vocabulary.
Wow, I can't imagine Hugh Fraser doing Poirot! I loved him as Captain Hastings in the ITV versions. I've not done audio books yet but I will one day. And I love it as well when there's a series of books, I whizz through them as well.

Wow, I can't imagine Hugh Fraser doing Poirot! I loved him as Captain Hastings in the ITV versions. I've not done audio books yet but I will one day. And I love it as well when there's a series of books, I whizz through them as well.
There are lots of serials on Radio 4 extra eg today - Day of the triffids, Lord Peter Whinsey, Cadfael, Poirot just finished.

I admit that is the one thing that does annoy me with Amazon. Often the offer of free or 99p books are No 4 in the series and I have to read a series in order so it’s useless to me but of course I understand why they do it.

What a great thread.
I used to read Vogue as a teen, had ambitions to be a fashion designer. My Dad put me off that. He made garments for designers and came across so many student designers who put on a fashion show, were sleighted and never heard of again.
I was obsessed with the 90s super models such as Christy Turlington and Yasmin Le Bon and used to watch the Clothes Show every week.
At one time my stack of magazines grew too big and I got rid of them. My teenage daughter, who is now obsessed with everything 90s, often laments that she would have loved reading those magazines now.
I loved reading all the Enid Blyton books growing up and also Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess. Pure escapism. It was a joy to go to our local library on a Saturday afternoon, a beautiful Victorian building with huge windows and lovely mouldings and archways.
Now I listen to audio books on the Libby app on my phone. I do like reading but can either struggle to get into a book or get so immersed that I'm reading until 4 a.m. with work the next day!

Latest posts

Back