Over use of descriptive words!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ohnonotshoppingagain

Registered Shopper
Watching Q this morning, guest described Carole Hochman night/loungewear as elegant and I can’t recall her other description but DF agreed with her. Well sorry there is a great over use if descriptive words by presenters and guests alike. In a million years I would never describe any nightwear or loungewear sold on QVC as remotely stylish and certainly not elegant. I wish they would stop this. Are there no other companies they could feature here on QVC UK other that Carole Hochman! Struth, givenus a break.

Ann D. waxing lyrical over a Centigrade coat, all we need for our weather? It is described as ‘water resistant’ OK for a very light shower or bit of mist.I have coats that are waterproof, big difference, twice over the last few weeks I have been out in almost monsoon conditions.Water resistant would not have had a chance.Breathable is something to look for too.

As for them saying "the weather is changing" when flogging a padded coat - yeah ! it is, its getting milder !! Even last year I could count on one hand the number of times I wore a 'warm' coat when walking the dog and generally going out. Temperatures do drop at night, but I'm normally tucked up inside watching the tele with a glass of a good Whisky 😂

I hate those coats where you get so hot and sweaty you feel ill. I've got a couple of winter coats with vent type things in them under the sleeves and at the neck and they stop you overheating without making you feel the cold. Didn't buy them at Q though!

CC

Micheal is another one who raves over mediocre styles. BTW was he wearing a tuxedo type jacket and tee shirt with rabbit teeth on the front that was part of the Australian singer's petite collection? Maybe they were kangaroo teeth! (Danni Minogue. This must be incorrectly spelled.) The outfit looked good on him, but I wonder if he had had it tailored to fit him. How can a man fit into a woman's jacket successfully? And, importantly, why would he want to? Are the woke people going to shout at me now ?

Micheal is another one who raves over mediocre styles. BTW was he wearing a tuxedo type jacket and tee shirt with rabbit teeth on the front that was part of the Australian singer's petite collection? Maybe they were kangaroo teeth! (Danni Minogue. This must be incorrectly spelled.) The outfit looked good on him, but I wonder if he had had it tailored to fit him. How can a man fit into a woman's jacket successfully? And, importantly, why would he want to? Are the woke people going to shout at me now ?

All it needs to get rid of online 'woke' comments - usually anonymous, is to tell them to Foxtrot Oscar ! what are they going to do ? shoot you ? report you to the police - unlikely if they don't know where you live? Why the world is cowering to this culture is an anathema to me. In a swipe, all humour has gone, for fear of offending.

Well, I take the attitude 'tough sh...t' I'm not changing my thoughts or comments to appease a load of lefties from universities who want to 'cancel' anyone who doesn't agree with them. " A pox be upon them" !!!

Rant over.

Wait until Dale is on, everything is incredible. Nope, never in a million years.
Taken literally, Dale is correct. It does mean not believable, after all 😋

And forgetting fashion (or what passes for it on Q)... Gail Samways is forever declaring as DELICIOUS all the pallid underdone, or dark overcooked food turned out of whatever miracle gadget she's flogging this week. They are all guilty of over-egging the pudding...but while we have eyes and ears and critical faculties we can still avoid most of the hyperbole and see it for what it is.

As for them saying "the weather is changing" when flogging a padded coat - yeah ! it is, its getting milder !! Even last year I could count on one hand the number of times I wore a 'warm' coat when walking the dog and generally going out. Temperatures do drop at night, but I'm normally tucked up inside watching the tele with a glass of a good Whisky 😂
Yes I have a heavy duty Landend bought in the sale a few years ago have only worn it a couple of times as it is too warm.I was always thinking of a visit to the North Cape in winter & it is still waiting in the wardrobe.Never say never.

The tat peddlers talk twaddle because they're unprofessional & inadequate. They appear to be so desperate to sell they don't analyse what they're saying & use too many words. A few days ago Ophelia described a guest as gorgeous; she wasn't a child, small fluffy animal or her best friend she was someone she had only met through work so this was an inappropriate word to use, in fact all she needed to do was say her name.

The descriptions that annoy me the most are the "It looks expensive" - Nobody gets dressed in the hope that somebody thinks or comments upon how much you spent on your outfit. If somebody wants to give a compliment tell me it really suits me, or that they like it, or that it looks classy. "Tailoring" is another...This is not a word that should be used to describe mass produced crap from the Far East.
As for Hochman's pj's and nighties...they're pretty frumpy and most certainly not elegant...not even in the Abigail's Party sense of the word. Call them cosy, call them homely, call them overpriced...but elegant, or stylish ...never!!!

I confess to having been stopped twice on a visit to London in 2019, when at different times during the day I was asked by a complete stranger where I bought my coat. It was a rare outing for this coat as it isn't a shrinking violet - camel coloured with two large violet and fuschia appliqued Mary Quant style flowers on it. I had the alteration shop insert pockets in the seams. The sort of coat you only wear in London, not where I live to walk the dog or go to the Co-op.

It was an Indigo Moon number. I've just trawled EBay and staggered at how much there is of this brand and still holding the purchase price from over 15 years ago !!! I gave up on page 15 and hadn't seen it, but its not going to the charity shop just yet.

All it needs to get rid of online 'woke' comments - usually anonymous, is to tell them to Foxtrot Oscar ! what are they going to do ? shoot you ? report you to the police - unlikely if they don't know where you live? Why the world is cowering to this culture is an anathema to me. In a swipe, all humour has gone, for fear of offending.

Well, I take the attitude 'tough sh...t' I'm not changing my thoughts or comments to appease a load of lefties from universities who want to 'cancel' anyone who doesn't agree with them. " A pox be upon them" !!!

Rant over.

Amen to that 👏👏👏

CC

The tat peddlers talk twaddle because they're unprofessional & inadequate. They appear to be so desperate to sell they don't analyse what they're saying & use too many words. A few days ago Ophelia described a guest as gorgeous; she wasn't a child, small fluffy animal or her best friend she was someone she had only met through work so this was an inappropriate word to use, in fact all she needed to do was say her name.
I would hate to be introduced to someone as 'gorgeous.' (Even if I am, but I'm not.) All the presenters use this word over and over and so the real meaning of the word is lost A spectacular sunset or dawn sky, a Faberge egg, would all be appropriately described as 'gorgeous', but not an over the hill actress, has beenTV personality or frumpy cardigan.

Rant over.
I'm all for being more accepting of others, glad we've moved on from shows like Love thy Neighbour etc (They were of their time, and not particularly funny imo), glad that women aren't objectified the way they once were, ie used to advertise "manly things" like motorbikes, or shown bending down in front of old blokes wearing not a lot on the bottom or top "Phwoar...etc" BUT - things have gone waaaay too far in the other direction nowadays. I thought back in late 80's/early 90's when words like Blackboard were vetoed by the loony left and Baa baa rainbow sheep was sung in nursery schools, how ridiculous and just how stupid can it get? Much more so it would appear since you literally cannot say anything these days without offending someone somewhere. According the woke brigade of today, the use of the word mum, or woman can be harmful. Terms like "cisgender" are bandied around, you can identify as anything you like!!!!
I'll carry on treating people with the respect that I always have done, if they deserve respect - silly snowflakes can "do one" as far as I'm concerned. I'm all for change but it should never be at the expense of others....and sadly it seems that if you're white, and straight and don't make out that you wish you weren't - then you're first in the firing line. This has got to stop!

Latest posts

Back