Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Actually, that's my one major peeve with discount/cheap watches, when they print fake dials or pointless markings on the facias.

This other Genoa one from TJC really annoys me for some reason, due to the pointless, unused 31day row across middle and a 60 number scale around the bottom 6 o'clock open heart movement complication with no pointer/dials on it!

I don't even think the top 12o'clock day/night and 24hr sub-dial is real either and they've just set the watch hands' time (10:10 classic smile) to match the 24hr pre-printed hand position for the item photo?! 😲
Mine too - along with Tachymeters that are printed around inappropriate dials.
And day/night indicators being sold as moonphases.
And open heart watches being sold as tourbillons.

I've just realised, I want a drone, but iw were the biggest retailer of said.

Where will I get one with full hd in a red visual hue?
You could try IW, oh no. Or how about Maplins, oh no. Ok, how about Wilko's, oh no. Or try Debenhams, or Dickins and Jones, or Woolworths, oh maybe not.

Fyi, bought the old model FX-Pro Elite drone, from IW about 4 or 5 years ago for around £50. With HD cam, live streaming over WiFi (WiFi UFO app) and wings fold up, doesn't seem a lot different to the newer overpriced £140+ ones they were flogging on IW in the end months. Just improved cam/phone software for gestures, stability and GPS, etc.

The FX- RDM drones are on eBay, Amzn, and drone shops online.
You can pay anything from £10 to £11k for drones, so not sure what spec/use you're looking for. Dronesdirect do DJI Mavic, etc.

Mine too - along with Tachymeters that are printed around inappropriate dials.
And day/night indicators being sold as moonphases.
And open heart watches being sold as tourbillons.
Welcome back ProfB, @Professor Branestawm, see you're catching up on posts; hope you're ok.

Yes, noticed recently a lot of the open heart circles being wrongly sold/described as Tourbillons on various sites. Maybe the staff see a circle and movement and only know a Tourbillon?!?!

Welcome back ProfB, @Professor Branestawm, see you're catching up on posts; hope you're ok.

Yes, noticed recently a lot of the open heart circles being wrongly sold/described as Tourbillons on various sites. Maybe the staff see a circle and movement and only know a Tourbillon?!?!

Wonder if that's the fault of suppliers in China, massive amount of watches on the likes of Ali Express and watch wholesalers on Alibaba have the wrong descriptions for these features (open heart/day night) and it looks like quite a lot of these small crappy brands/review sites (who are no watch experts) just copy those descriptions verbatim without realising they are wrong.

If you look at the type of brands with all these wrong description they are the ones who are not watchmaking brands and are just buying watches wholesale from China, whereas actual watchmaking brands have the correct descriptions, difference between the two being the wholesale brands know sod all about watches and the watchmaking brands do. ;)

I refuse to watch ‘normal’ television with just a handful of exceptions. For numerous reasons. One in particular is it angers, upsets and depresses me. Er..that’s three of them! I also only watch films made between 1930 and 2000. I couldn’t even tell you the names of actors who’ve become famous since the churn of the tentury.
I never watch the news but I look at BBC News websites and others as I like to know what is going on. I don't want to watch up close footage of train crashes or bombings. There was an episode of Drop the Dead Donkey in the 1990s where their reporter Damien Day was caught putting a child's teddy bear at disaster scenes to make it more sad. And it was allegedly based on a real reporter.

I recently cancelled Netflix as I just wasn't watching it. Prefer older stuff on Britbox.

I cannot stand the political correctness that has taken over mainstream television and advertising. Nothing wrong with political correctness to balance injustice, but now, essentially, one set of wrongs has been replaced by another and I don't want any part of it.

I suppose it is a generational thing, but for me the great music has already been recorded, both classically and in the popular sense, and there is virtually nothing new music wise around today that I want to listen to.

Comedy today isn't. I find box ticking comedians relating observational humour stories with a right-on slant, tedious in the extreme. Peter Kay is about the only modern day comedian I find remotely funny. And he's funny because he would have been equally funny in the 1970s, which I think was one of the great eras for both stand up humor and brilliant comedy writing. Visual humor again is virtually non-existent. Dom Jolly one of the last to try it and do it well. It used to be stand up and make me laugh. Now it is stand up and make me turn over.

I watched on DVD a couple of weeks ago a 1970s' BBC play. Beautifully shot on film in black and white. An Alan Bennett production called A Day Out. It was about a group of male cyclists from a northern town in the hot summer 1914, just prior to the commencement of the war. Completely innocent and slow paced. But brilliantly written and terribly poignant. Find me some television like that today and I'll eat my words. Until then I have nothing to do with it as I said earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot stand the political correctness that has taken over mainstream television and advertising. Nothing wrong with political correctness to balance injustice, but now, essentially, one set of wrongs has been replaced by another and I don't want any part of it.

I suppose it is a generational thing, but for me the great music has already been recorded, both classically and in the popular sense, and there is virtually nothing new music wise around today that I want to listen to.

Comedy today isn't. I find box ticking comedians relating observational humour stories with a right-on slant, tedious in the extreme. Peter Kay is about the only modern day comedian I find remotely funny. And he's funny because he would have been equally funny in the 1970s, which I think was one of the great eras for both stand up humor and brilliant comedy writing. Visual humor again is virtually non-existent. Dom Jolly one of the last to try it and do it well. It used to be stand up and make me laugh. Now it is stand up and make me turn over.

I watched on DVD a couple of weeks ago a 1970s' BBC play. Beautifully shot on film in black and white. An Alan Bennett production called A Day Out. It was about a group of male cyclists from a northern town in the hot summer 1914, just prior to the commencement of the war. Completely innocent and slow paced. But brilliantly written and terribly poignant. Find me some television like that today and I'll eat my words. Until then I have nothing to do with it as I said earlier.
Something I have recently noticed is that, if you try to politely challenge a view (for example trans) the stance appears to be 'if you're not for me you're totally against me and are my enemy'. You're then outed as the devil on social media and trolled. Maybe my perception is wrong, but it's how the world seems to be these days. People seem unable to have opposing opinions and politely debate them, listening to the other person's point of view. Grown adults seem to be like 5 year olds stamping their feet and sulking when their parents have said no to them.

Just my opinion but, as a 'genre', selly telly has suffered since the demise of IW. The US based/rolling VT presentations just aren't as entertaining and there's no personalities to talk about.

IMO, think they've always suffered even before the demise, it was a novelty for most in the early days of telly shopping, even I bought stuff from QVC, but then it has become more of a niche genre for those, for whatever reason, old, mobility issues, loneliness etc, that were more happy being home shoppers rather than using high street or online avenues.
In reality they were never really about entertainment, just retail, IW on the other hand was only entertaining for the wrong reasons. ;)

IMO, think they've always suffered even before the demise, it was a novelty for most in the early days of telly shopping, even I bought stuff from QVC, but then it has become more of a niche genre for those, for whatever reason, old, mobility issues, loneliness etc, that were more happy being home shoppers rather than using high street or online avenues.
In reality they were never really about entertainment, just retail, IW on the other hand was only entertaining for the wrong reasons. ;)
How Blummin dare you. I’m Old, have mobility issues, lonely fits too as I’m a widow but even I when flicking thought the channels (also have tinnitus so need the noise) find myself when landing on QVC thinking.
Do people actually buy that, I wouldn’t be seen dead in that…no way would I pay that much for a tee shirt.
😂
I do confess to being guilty of buying some of their plants 🪴

Sadly I must admit I am bereft at the demise of IW
Where else can I now watch hours of …….
this cordless vac is the best vac since sliced bread or this air fryer is the one that you really must have.
I didn’t buy either of them from ideal IW but did buy both after watching IW and then giving thought to which one best suited my needs/got the best reviews online etc. Then researched who was offering the best discounted price.

Fair play to him. Other than that Tim bloke, the only ex-Ideal World presenter I have seen to make any attempt to be empathetic, or offer any support whatsoever, in public at least, to their colleagues without work. Now, he may or may not have an agenda, but I will take what he says, as a genuine and an earnest offer to offer some kind of practical and psychological support to people going through both the huge financial and emotional issues of losing your job.
IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1138.jpeg

Fair play to him. Other than that Tim bloke, the only ex-Ideal World presenter I have seen to make any attempt to be empathetic, or offer any support whatsoever, in public at least, to their colleagues without work. Now, he may or may not have an agenda, but I will take what he says, as a genuine and an earnest offer to offer some kind of practical and psychological support to people going through both the huge financial and emotional issues of losing your job.View attachment 26248View attachment 26249
People losing their jobs is rarely something to be happy about. However, as discussed on here more than a few times, it's challenging to feel sorry for everyone that was involved with IW. Dubious selling techniques etc etc.

I hopped on to TJC for a few mins the other night, the guy was flogging a silver piece of jewelry. 'Now, I'm not giving you financial advice (so that's them covering themselves from a legal perspective) however all I'll say is if I had £300 to spend at present, I'd be putting it into silver rather than something like an ISA ... but as I say I'm not here to give you financial advice.'

This advice being given at something like 1.50am when viewers will of course be at their most fresh and awake.

Becque says it should never have happened, I'd assert it depends how you look at it.

People losing their jobs is rarely something to be happy about. However, as discussed on here more than a few times, it's challenging to feel sorry for everyone that was involved with IW. Dubious selling techniques etc etc.

I hopped on to TJC for a few mins the other night, the guy was flogging a silver piece of jewelry. 'Now, I'm not giving you financial advice (so that's them covering themselves from a legal perspective) however all I'll say is if I had £300 to spend at present, I'd be putting it into silver rather than something like an ISA ... but as I say I'm not here to give you financial advice.'

This advice being given at something like 1.50am when viewers will of course be at their most fresh and awake.

Becque says it should never have happened, I'd assert it depends how you look at it.
Silver ia actually quite cheap, 58P per gram.

Gold is £48-82 per gram at the time of this post.

The 500g bar I sold some years ago would now be worth £24,410.

I should have kept it!

I think what I found most interesting about him was that he came across as actually a rather human and empathetic person- something he never did on shopping television.
Yeah I get your point. Suppose it comes back to the thing about to what extent these presenters put on a persona to sell the products. Some will do so more than others. So for those who know the real them off camera, some may well be quite far removed from the telly persona. After all it's a form of entertainment / show business.

Latest posts

Back