Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well, I’m 61 and have been walking customers’ and my own dogs since 2010 and before for my own. I was doing at my busiest, 20,000 steps a day. Before that, I had nearly seven years in the Police, mainly patrolling on foot on the London Underground. God knows how many steps a day I did then. Nowadays, I do about 8000 to 10000 a day for work. Unfortunately, I’ve just found out both my knees are ‘shot’ and have been struggling on in agony some days at work. It is certainly one new knee for the worst one, with a second ultimately for the less damaged one. Not being able to walk dogs horrifies me, to be honest. It has been a large part of my life for so long. I also need the money - although I do get an NHS pension after my wife died. I’ve got through worse, so just have to deal with it!
We better behave we have PC Cheese in here

I saw the last ten minutes of this show last night (the TV guide said Simona was on at 22:00, sadly she wasn't it was Emma and her watches) and the food actually looked mouthwatering. Much better than Mark Stewart's anaemic, undercooked, unappetizing offerings that the channel had been offering up up until now. A definite step in the right direction.
The last guy was struggling. I assume it was not his fault, because why should he go out and buy the food if there was no budget for anything decent to prepare. For me, though, his uneasy manner, and the poor offerings even Mason wouldn’t eat, made for some awful shows. And of course, if the show is awful, the products take a hit, as you wouldn’t be inclined to buy an oven that they show delivering unappetising fare. The guy Joe last night was a breath of fresh air and food.

Joe doesn’t seem to be finding it difficult to find work
Already seen on create and craft now on IW
And today he has another string to his bow.

Attachments

• 0C83444A-3689-4D95-B576-05FD7C3776BC.jpeg
    0C83444A-3689-4D95-B576-05FD7C3776BC.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 0
Joe doesn’t seem to be finding it difficult to find work
Already seen on create and craft now on IW
And today he has another string to his bow.

good for him, he is ****** good at the demo lark

Yeah because he’s a decent and likeable guy

that is what comes across, he leaves the hard sell to Mike or Peter or others and just gets on with it. When you present on TV cooking it HAS to look good and tasty and you have to believe Mike was really enjoying it.

Boxes ticked and love to see how many sold of the fryer last night compared to the Mark Stewart awful effort !!

The last guy was struggling. I assume it was not his fault, because why should he go out and buy the food if there was no budget for anything decent to prepare. For me, though, his uneasy manner, and the poor offerings even Mason wouldn’t eat, made for some awful shows. And of course, if the show is awful, the products take a hit, as you wouldn’t be inclined to buy an oven that they show delivering unappetising fare. The guy Joe last night was a breath of fresh air and food.
How did they suddenly give Joe a good budget for food then

Did they? Maybe the other guy didn’t want to spend anything. Maybe Joe wants to make a better show and buys better stuff out of his pocket. I know out of pride in my own performance I would. The previous chap took constant pleasure in telling us the wonderful dishes he can create, but didn’t actually show us any. Joe actually produces attractive looking food without constantly telling us he can.

Joe comes over a decent person, I often thought why IW never tried him as a presenter, but that is because he wouldn’t go down the BS Route, when I’ve seen him on Create and Craft, he reads the details, and lets the guests carry on, Most of the presenters and guests he works with have known him for years, I know many of the Create and Craft presenters and guests have said, they used to pop into the Ideal,World studio next door, and take food.

How did they suddenly give Joe a good budget for food then
It will be down to the chef to provide the food they will be cooking, and they will have to pay for the food from their own pocket, so to say, as they will need to buy the food, long before they get paid for doing the actual cooking show. The chef is in charge of determining their budget and purchasing items.

Did they? Maybe the other guy didn’t want to spend anything. Maybe Joe wants to make a better show and buys better stuff out of his pocket. I know out of pride in my own performance I would. The previous chap took constant pleasure in telling us the wonderful dishes he can create, but didn’t actually show us any. Joe actually produces attractive looking food without constantly telling us he can.
Alternatively it depends on the individuals bargaining power fee wize.
Do you need really need the job = take what your given
Do they want what you can bring to the table = concessions to your requirements

even though, we make remarks, about Peter, Sally and Mike especially

we don’t wish them no harm, if you read back to when Mike was off work, we posted concerns
saintslad - To continually labour the point. None of these people are shrinking violets. You could argue that actors and TV presenters are show offs and attention seekers (nothing wrong with that, just qualities that help in those professions). Any kind of 'performer' is open to critique. If you don't understand that (or refuse to accept it) it is nobody's job on a forum (look that up to see what a discussion forum entails because you seem to think you can only discuss things you enjoy) The question from me (and countless others) that you refuse to answer, is why did you trawl through comments you don't like? Your answer may be it's a free world, but that's our answer too. The other thing to remember is that, this isn't just a TV show, these people are asking for hard earned money. That means they are open to comment about their sales tactics. You can't just make up details and prices, there are rules against it. And if you are using the presenters and personalities to sell then their authenticity is always under scrutiny. I don't have to answer to you. If you get your knickers in a twist because your buddies are getting roasted online, not my problem. I look forward to you ignoring this and starting groundhog day all over again...

The presenters seem to buy it themselves. When Simon Ilses was on Shop Extra he commented that he went and bought the food for the demos. Now It was his business I guess, if Joe had any negotiating abilities (was allowed to) he might have said look I'll take x amount of money so I can have enough to get decent food

When Chef Mark (aka young Ken Barlow) was on I always wondered why it was 30 mins here then 45 mins there, never a proper 2 hour show, how could it be worth his time and effort for 45 min stints?

Joe and big Brodders loved getting in about the food and as commented Mike has started eating the food again since Joe has returned, says it all sadly about Marks offernings! I mean a whole jar of ragu sauce over a bit of half cooked chicken was his best offering.......

Joe comes over a decent person, I often thought why IW never tried him as a presenter, but that is because he wouldn’t go down the BS Route, when I’ve seen him on Create and Craft, he reads the details, and lets the guests carry on, Most of the presenters and guests he works with have known him for years, I know many of the Create and Craft presenters and guests have said, they used to pop into the Ideal,World studio next door, and take food.
And when he's on TV he's trying to say, look you don't need to be a trained chef to cook a decent meal. If you get Gordon Ramsay to demo something, he can't help becoming too cheffie and that makes people think they can't do it. But if he was asked he could make really good meals at restaurant quality. I think what Mark Young Barlow was doing was saying F*ck it, I'll just half cook this lot and put it in tupperware in the cupboards. How did he cook it and what did he use? That's what viewers want to see. The cooking done right before our eyes. Mark talks a good game but the abilities don't come off on camera

Latest posts

Back