Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am sure the vast majority of IW viewers are sick to death with the keep fit stuff and fecking frying pans

But that's 50% of their inventory...what do they move on to? Bissels for cleaning up any 'little accidents' caused by all that fibre from the healthy eating? That'll be a show for Howard then - talking about sharts resulting from his loose bowels. Or maybe the 70s-style Tower Rotisserie because you've fallen off the diet wagon and thought 'f**k it, give me roast chicken WITH the skin'? Sugar Crap clothes that are 'size irrelevant' (i.e two sheets of cheap fabric sewing into a tube) so you can pour your fat carcass into them whilst stuffing 'healthy air-fried' chips down your gullet.

I'm thinking the topsy-turvy stock updates could be all those people either actively emptying their baskets after enduring/enjoying the presentation... or having their baskets emptied after however long (is it 20mins like QVC?)... or even people cancelling having ordered. It couldn't possibly be because the presenter or the production staff are plucking figures out of the air! :mysmilie_50:

No wonder they were flogging the Nutribullet every five minutes! There's a new one, the Nutribullet RX, it's got a 2.3 horsepower and 1700 watts of power, this one makes hot soup as well as everything else, it's £199, so I wonder if they're getting the new one?

Er., you sure it was 10%? Not 5%? Or 50%? No, now I come to think of it, IW are always 100% reliable when quoting percentage sold figures (watch out: low flying pigs ahead) :thinking:
In the short time it took to write this post - another 10% of stock has sold out - and gone!:mysmilie_17:

Er., you sure it was 10%? Not 5%? Or 50%? No, now I come to think of it, IW are always 100% reliable when quoting percentage sold figures (watch out: low flying pigs ahead) :thinking:

Probably the same little piggy that joins Mike Mason darn the mawket :mysmilie_17:

Must admit it's the first time I've heard this one: on the Sturhling watches hour, the guest (Caroline) has just told us that one of the watches (£159.99) is ideal if you are "a person who doesn't wear a watch during the week, and you want it for weekends". Er.....why? And the Sturhling watches hour was followed by....yes, you've guessed it, an advert for IW fitness equipment!

That's what I say to my mum all the time! And I come home fron work to be told that 25% of the stock has gone!

Must admit it's the first time I've heard this one: on the Sturhling watches hour, the guest (Caroline) has just told us that one of the watches (£159.99) is ideal if you are "a person who doesn't wear a watch during the week, and you want it for weekends". Er.....why? And the Sturhling watches hour was followed by....yes, you've guessed it, an advert for IW fitness equipment!

Yes that is a new one on me too. I thought a watch was to tell you the time. And not just at weekends. But hey what do I know?

Yes, I'm still trying to work that one out, too! And what made that particular watch so good for wearing at weekends - does it do the weekend shopping for you? Cook your Sunday dinner? Wash the car? Point you towards the local pub? That wasn't made clear. But ten out of ten to the guest presenter, for coming up with a plug that I, for one, have never heard before: credit where credit's due, I say! :mysmilie_14:
Yes that is a new one on me too. I thought a watch was to tell you the time. And not just at weekends. But hey what do I know?

Why is Selly Telly full of stupid, nonsensical concepts and ideas you never see anywhere else in the retail world?

I think one of the reasons is because they run out of carp to say, and twitter about the first thing that comes into their head. Basically, although there were different models of watches and some colour variations, they all had the same functions as far as I could make out! So the carp for the first watch was repeated each time they showed a different model - I'd hate to have to do an hour like that if I was presenting, there was little or no variety and it was boringly repeato ditto - I watched about half of the hour (when it was announced that "about this point is always the busiest time of the hour" - of course!), and I was stunned by the prices they were asking for what IMO were quite bulky, unattractive timepieces, and considering at least one of the models was nearly 200 quid, I was even less impressed. They've no doubt got special features, but in my opinion some of the watches they showed didn't look as good as the £12 ones I've seen advertised in places like Argos.

Why is Selly Telly full of stupid, nonsensical concepts and ideas you never see anywhere else in the retail world?

Last edited:
They should make the presentations much shorter then. Bid TV for all their tacky products and questionable selling tactics had the right idea to make each auction fairly short and move on to the next item.

agree about the watches historymystery hate those watches that do everything but show you two hands and clear numbers after all that is what you want to tell the time as soon as you look at it not faf about trying to guess what it is, but each to their own i guess.

Some of the bigger watches on show, look like what I can remember as being a clock in the front room on a mantle over the fireplace. Totally hideously enormous. I have a slim watch which is Gold coloured, with expandable strap, black face & Gold hands with date window, 25+ years ago for $29 US. I bought it because it looked great, still does. I wear it every day. It is the most accurate watch I have ever had. Would I spend mega money on a watch that tells me the same time as my old one, I don't think so. I've had cheap Casio watches for work which never seemed to last, but my old faithful is all I need or want.

:mysmilie_497:You saying that about the mantle clock made me laugh, because that was exactly the reaction of the OH when he looked at the TV screen - he started to sing "My grandfather's clock was too large for the shelf, etc. etc"! Your $29 was obviously a brilliant buy and does everything you need - looks good and is reliable. Don't get me wrong, I can understand people spending a lot of money on a gold watch, if that's what they want to do, and I know some people like collecting different watches, just as some of us collect handbags or jewellery, but I thought they were really unattractive for such high prices, poor dial visibility as well, and the black one that had a bright yellow plastic-type rim round the outside - just yuk! Seemed a strange colour combination to me and looked cheapo - not bad for nearly £200!!!.

QUOTE=Dave;837404]Some of the bigger watches on show, look like what I can remember as being a clock in the front room on a mantle over the fireplace. Totally hideously enormous. I have a slim watch which is Gold coloured, with expandable strap, black face & Gold hands with date window, 25+ years ago for $29 US. I bought it because it looked great, still does. I wear it every day. It is the most accurate watch I have ever had. Would I spend mega money on a watch that tells me the same time as my old one, I don't think so. I've had cheap Casio watches for work which never seemed to last, but my old faithful is all I need or want.[/QUOTE]

mossie, I was given a watch by someone for Christmas, just worn it for the first time to try it, and you literally cannot see the numbers on it if you move your wrist to normal elbow height (as most of us do) to check the time. The only time you can see the dial clearly is if there's direct natural daylight on the watch, or you hold it right up in front of your eyes - in a dull room, forget it. I thought it was my eyes at first, so I got a couple of second opinions from others, who said the same. Shame, as it's a pretty watch, but I agree with what you say - all I want from any watch I own is a clear dial with numbers I can read easily, and which looks OK, nothing flash, as I don't need all the bells and whizzers, just the time!

agree about the watches historymystery hate those watches that do everything but show you two hands and clear numbers after all that is what you want to tell the time as soon as you look at it not faf about trying to guess what it is, but each to their own i guess.

Last edited:
Some items you do need the full hour, such as different types of electrical items or clothing, but watches that all have more or less the same features - well, an hour is much too long and I'd imagine a lot of people did what I did and switched over, so it's self-defeating I'd say (although of course they were "flying out the door").
They should make the presentations much shorter then. Bid TV for all their tacky products and questionable selling tactics had the right idea to make each auction fairly short and move on to the next item.

Gawd, if they had 2 hours of the watches people all over the country would be sticking pins in their own eyes :giggle:
Makes me laugh when they say 'we're nearly at the end of the hour! Where's the time gone? We need to ask for two hours next time Caroline'

What??

Latest posts

Back