Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You have to feel sorry for him to some extent at least. A reasonably big name in children’s TV in the 1990s, and now ending his televisual days as an end of the pier in repertoire, shopping TV presenter selling Chinese watches with fancy English names. Suited and booted with nowhere to go. There is a Play For Today there, waiting to happen.

You have to feel sorry for him to some extent at least. A reasonably big name in children’s TV in the 1990s, and now ending his televisual days as an end of the pier in repertoire, shopping TV presenter selling Chinese watches with fancy English names. Suited and booted with nowhere to go. There is a Play For Today there, waiting to happen.

I've absolutely no sympathy for him or any IW employee for that matter, he may be at the end of his career on shopping TV channel, but that's no excuse for him conning uninformed viewers by spouting lies, misinformation and copious amounts of utter bullshit.

If ASA and OFCOM actually did their job, they would be running a thorough investigation into TV shopping channels, while some shopping channels seem to be generally behaving in an acceptable manner, some, like IW, are plainly a bunch of cowboys with no morals.

PS

No Chinese watches tomorrow, were going Japanese courtesy of Seiko, although it is the lower end of the market with Lorus watches, i would rather have one of them than those Swan & Edgar or Resultco crap, oh and a couple of Seiko clocks on the show.

I can see where you are coming from , but when you’re expecting folks to buy the product you are showing , you should give an honest and factual description. Mistakes will always be made but they will only be mistakes and hopefully corrected asap. What we see on IW , especially with PS and other sidekicks is a misrepresentation of products , grossly overegging the value and quality of the product to the point of dishonesty. As we all know money is tight these days and it doesn’t come easily.
The style of selling on IW does not cut it at all with me , even if the presentation is done by a smirking oaf who more often than not is incapable of finishing a sentence.

was peter ever a big name on Childrens TV though, If I remember rightly he presented Double Dare and Run the Risk on Live and Kicking, but overall on the programme he played third fiddle to Andi Peters and Emma Forbes

i noticed earlier he is only 60, while QVCs Juila Roberts and Debbie Flint are over 60 and IW Dennice Robinson is the wrong side of 60, Juila abd Debbie are like the Queens of the shopping TV still now

Speaking of Den the pensioner, she produced the unintentional comedy moment of the day for me, she was telling customers, on the air fryer show, that they needed to do they're own research on the great IW price, she said with sincerity 'you don't just want believe me because i have an honest face, you want to know it for..........' she stopped in mid speech to tell the folks in the gallery to stop laughing at her. IW presenters are in a league of their own, delusional shysters. :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps I should qualify my feelings on Simon Peters. I feel sorry for him personally to the extent where I would also feel sorry for a wasp I accidentally squashed under my shoe. I am sorry for the wasp’s life being taken early by my carelessness, but I am glad for myself and any others not stung by it.

I see Peters desperately flogging tat and I feel sorry for the fact he has ended up on a shopping channel when he had a career previously in mainstream TV for some years, and of course, as a very orange looking Ronald McDonald. Surely, he would never have actively chosen such a career path back in the 1990s? That doesn’t mean, though, that my sympathy for him extends to turning a blind eye to some of the very misleading sales tactics I have seen him employ with appearing to quote item prices in full, when he is actually quoting the first Flexi Pay instalment and so on. For that, ending his days on Ideal World, ideally naked, on top of Nigel, the plastic horse, is summary justice in ego crushing.

was peter ever a big name on Childrens TV though, If I remember rightly he presented Double Dare and Run the Risk on Live and Kicking, but overall on the programme he played third fiddle to Andi Peters and Emma Forbes

i noticed earlier he is only 60, while QVCs Juila Roberts and Debbie Flint are over 60 and IW Dennice Robinson is the wrong side of 60, Juila abd Debbie are like the Queens of the shopping TV still now
I wasn’t having a go at PS on the basis of his age when I said he should be put out to grass. I’m past state pension age and still working part time. I’ve no gripe with older presenters as long as they do their job in a professional and honest manner.

To be fair to the presenters-they are not con artists.
By that I mean you don't get ripped off for your money,you do receive a watch or whatever you've ordered.
Salespeople of all products gild the lily-it's just that shopping telly presenters have to do the sale in public.
Also the nonsense about everything is selling out is 'cos you have to get the punters to confirm while they're hot .
Two minutes later the customer has lost interest.
Applies to all direct selling.
I watch for entertainment.
For example today Sally talked herself down a blind alley as she made up a ridiculous story about how she once saw a woman get out of a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce .... 'you could smell the money... dripping with jewellery.'
The punchline was that the woman's coat looked like the two bob anorak that Sally was flogging.
Like the jewelery went with the anorak ??????

To be fair to the presenters-they are not con artists.
By that I mean you don't get ripped off for your money,you do receive a watch or whatever you've ordered.
Salespeople of all products gild the lily-it's just that shopping telly presenters have to do the sale in public.
Also the nonsense about everything is selling out is 'cos you have to get the punters to confirm while they're hot .
Two minutes later the customer has lost interest.
Applies to all direct selling.
I watch for entertainment.
For example today Sally talked herself down a blind alley as she made up a ridiculous story about how she once saw a woman get out of a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce .... 'you could smell the money... dripping with jewellery.'
The punchline was that the woman's coat looked like the two bob anorak that Sally was flogging.
Like the jewelery went with the anorak ??????

Sorry but i have to disagree with some of your post, while there is entertainment value in watching the idiots go over the top with their stories, to say that people aren't being ripped off or they are only gilding the lily like all salespeople is IMO patently wrong, they LIE, MISREPRESENT, EXPLOIT, DECEIVE etc etc on a daily basis.
In all my years of buying products, in reputable shops, online sites and even from TV, I've yet to come across another bunch of salespeople as devious and corrupt as the IW lot.

Con Artist - a person who deceives other people by making them believe something false or making them give money away.

I think that covers IW sales tactics nicely, as well as what I've already mentioned above, then i think it's perfectly reasonable to call them what they are; con artists.

Dean Wilson has done his first shift on the new Create and Craft, he is worse than he is on IW he wasnt pressuring sales, but he just djdnt shut up, to make it worse the crafting expert, had known Dean for years, and was almost egging him on

kev has just said everything we say is true :LOL: :ROFLMAO: but what he should say is all we tell you is:poop:

Kev about the Seiko movement in one of the Vostok watches - "made by Seiko Industries"

That alone tells you he knows very little about the watch industry.

Seiko Industries is a sewing machine manufacturer in India and has bugger all connection with The Seiko Group in Japan.;)

Latest posts

Back