Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Again this is just me, however I've never really been interested in 'buying into a brand' where I can't afford to buy their main products. I like Porsche and would love a Porsche car. However buying a Porsche watch would just serve to depress me that bit more as it would remind me I can't afford to buy into the brand properly.

On one level I don't blame them (IW) much of sales is promoting the aspirational, however it adds to what we've said i.e. who their target demographic is.

Again this is just me, however I've never really been interested in 'buying into a brand' where I can't afford to buy their main products. I like Porsche and would love a Porsche car. However buying a Porsche watch would just serve to depress me that bit more as it would remind me I can't afford to buy into the brand properly.

On one level I don't blame them (IW) much of sales is promoting the aspirational, however it adds to what we've said i.e. who their target demographic is.

Thing is, if IW had any brains, and they wanted their customers to have the look without the price, they would buy from Ali Express instead of some of the brands they do. Heck if you want a watch that looks like a Rolex, Omega, Tudor or Seiko, Ali Express is full of homages for those brands them.

Mason, making sure he hides his wrist, could go, why spend 5 grand on an Omega

When you could have luxury on your wrist at a fraction of the price, and it has the world famous, high precision NH35 movement in it, used by all the great watch brands like our very own Vostok Europe.

Ali Express Aqua Terra

By the look of things, lots of IW customers aren't really that fussed what's on their wrist, so they could be on to a winner. :ROFLMAO:

The man from Bugg...Beggar My Neighbour, dressed as Don Johnson but looking more like Amy, gave us some helpful advice on Flexi-Pay and Openpay :-
"No Questions Asked for Flexi-Pay." No questions other than have you a debit or a credit card to qualify? Marvellous. "Just a short form to fill in for Openpay." Just a short form to fill in and a soft credit search and ID check. Double Marvellous. Nice one, Reg.

In the spirit of their birthday for ideal world which started back in the 1980's, sorry, 2000, 21 years ago this week, no hang on, next month; a channel that not uuuuhnly has, at its very essence, in its multitudinous luxury like never having been seen before or since, memories of running through fields of...... I'M BEING TOLD WE'RE GOING LIMITED STOCK..... CHECK OUT YOUR BASKETS! Hang on?!? Where was I?

Oh yeah, I remember. What are the products, good or bad, you remember from IW back in the day before the yobs from Bid took over with constant shite watch shows and Beldray cleaners?

I'll start you off with two I remember. The Snore Wizard with the inventor who I've already said on here could give Mulberry Silk Ray a run for his money in the borefest stakes. If you didn't snore before he came on, you would be by the end of his show.
And the wire you would wrap around your water pipe and it would supposedly stop calcium build up in your pipes and washing machine. They'd bring in half an immersion heater filled with what was supposed to be build up but could have been anything really just painted white.
Any more?

Fuk Luk Sau. I sent a fax (yes, the telex system was down) under a name like Hugh Jelllphant from Cockermouth, saying it was great to see a shopping channel showing a decent Fuk live on air and several other seaside postcard asides. Debbie Flint only read it out. Anything went back in those days - products and comments.

I have just been watching the Sodastream presentation. The main part of the sales push was saving money compared to buying bottled sparkling water. The guy dressed as Batman used the comparison of buying a one litre bottle of sparkling water (I think he said at 50p per bottle) to the cost of using the Sodastream instead. Immediately, I thought he over estimated the cost of the one litre bottled water. I can buy a two litre bottle of decent enough sparkling water in the supermarkets at about 50p a bottle. If I bought 30 two litre bottles that would cost me £15. The Sodastream apparently makes 40 litres of the most fizzy machine setting from one Co2 cylinder, which apparently costs around £22. That works out about £1.10 per two litre bottle - about 60p more expensive per bottle than the supermarkets brands. You can, though, recycle your cylinder apparently (Mason does) and this brings the cost down to around £14, he said. Even so, 40 litres of Sodastream fizziest fizz at the lower rate still works out around 70p per bottle, about 20p more than shop water.

Also, when you add in clawing back the cost of the machine itself, the cost of the special fizz retaining bottles and the flavour packs to add to the water, promoting the cost saving as an option to buy looks a very weak claim indeed.

Going back to the olden days Steve Whatleys Crazzzeeee Christmas.

It used to run from the August Bank Holiday up,to Christmas on a Saturday.

The main items were things Paper Hats, LED Christmas Lights, Billy the Fish, every week you would get the same products, as they would sell so quick, Steve had a way of making you buy but he didn’t press, You would get T Callers calling in saying Crazzee Christnas and Steve would get excitied, also his Disney hours, he was crazy over Disney almost went back to a kid. Or on another channel he was called Mr Diamonique.

Steve sadly is no longer with us, but he was shopping tv for years, of course he did invent Zuzsh, which still gets sold.

Fuk Luk Sau. I sent a fax (yes, the telex system was down) under a name like Hugh Jelllphant from Cockermouth, saying it was great to see a shopping channel showing a decent Fuk live on air and several other seaside postcard asides. Debbie Flint only read it out. Anything went back in those days - products and comments.
Debbie Flint back in the days when she was up for a laugh, which reminds me of her Final day at Children’s BBC and Bucky the Bullwrinkle end titles crashed, and she was like trust this to happen on my final day.

Debbie Is totally different these days though, hard selling

Going back to the olden days Steve Whatleys Crazzzeeee Christmas.

It used to run from the August Bank Holiday up,to Christmas on a Saturday.

The main items were things Paper Hats, LED Christmas Lights, Billy the Fish, every week you would get the same products, as they would sell so quick, Steve had a way of making you buy but he didn’t press, You would get T Callers calling in saying Crazzee Christnas and Steve would get excitied, also his Disney hours, he was crazy over Disney almost went back to a kid. Or on another channel he was called Mr Diamonique.

Steve sadly is no longer with us, but he was shopping tv for years, of course he did invent Zuzsh, which still gets sold.
I still think about him from time to time to this day. A tragedy how he died. I think he was only in his 40s, too. Not my favourite presenting style, but a very skilled seller at the same time.

I still think about him from time to time to this day. A tragedy how he died. I think he was only in his 40s, too. Not my favourite presenting style, but a very skilled seller at the same time.
Yes same here he still pops in my head, he would be appealed on how the channel has gone, he was passionate about the job, If I remember rightly he was more involved than just a presenter. I remember him fighting and finally getting a 90 day money back guarantee, as he felt 14 wasn’t enough

Just looked him up on Wikipedia, I’d forgot how much of a Troubled soul he was.

I had forgot how his time at QVC ended I remembered it had something to do with Princess Diana. And remember when he did indeed bring his dogs onto the TV. The guy had a short life but made his Mark

Yes, I remember his two dogs - Weimaraners, I think. It’s probably being wise after the event, but beneath all the smiles, there seemed a sadness about him somehow. I cannot imagine how he would feel about some of the awful selling tactics used on IW today, and the televisual equivalent it has become of a large barrow pitched on a corner with a couple of lookouts. I tend to judge people who love animals and dogs in particular (other than Adolf Hitler) as decent souls at heart, and I think he had one, albeit a fragile one.

Yes, I remember his two dogs - Weimaraners, I think. It’s probably being wise after the event, but beneath all the smiles, there seemed a sadness about him somehow. I cannot imagine how he would feel about some of the awful selling tactics used on IW today, and the televisual equivalent it has become of a large barrow pitched on a corner with a couple of lookouts. I tend to judge people who love animals and dogs in particular (other than Adolf Hitler) as decent souls at heart, and I think he had one, albeit a fragile one.
I agree I dont think I ever saw him not smile.

Saying that he would have loved this 80s theme

Earlier In the week it was mentioned on here, do they need to be live every hour.

You now have Beldray on with Creepy and Simon, and Creepy said well heres some film of when this was shown before, why, if you are a live show, why the hell do you have a recorded segment.

I have just been watching the Sodastream presentation. The main part of the sales push was saving money compared to buying bottled sparkling water. The guy dressed as Batman used the comparison of buying a one litre bottle of sparkling water (I think he said at 50p per bottle) to the cost of using the Sodastream instead. Immediately, I thought he over estimated the cost of the one litre bottled water. I can buy a two litre bottle of decent enough sparkling water in the supermarkets at about 50p a bottle. If I bought 30 two litre bottles that would cost me £15. The Sodastream apparently makes 40 litres of the most fizzy machine setting from one Co2 cylinder, which apparently costs around £22. That works out about £1.10 per two litre bottle - about 60p more expensive per bottle than the supermarkets brands. You can, though, recycle your cylinder apparently (Mason does) and this brings the cost down to around £14, he said. Even so, 40 litres of Sodastream fizziest fizz at the lower rate still works out around 70p per bottle, about 20p more than shop water.

Also, when you add in clawing back the cost of the machine itself, the cost of the special fizz retaining bottles and the flavour packs to add to the water, promoting the cost saving as an option to buy looks a very weak claim indeed.
I appreciate they have their job to do (i.e. be excited about the products) however let's be honest, kids or adults alike are going to lose interest quite quickly in watching the 'magical bubble making machine' inject bubbles into water. Unless under 5 maybe. I can't comment on the taste of the flavours they offer and I'm happy to stand corrected, however I imagine drinking their flavours compares to buying bargain basement fizz compared to the big brands.

Peter S was presenting a watch show last night with Kevin R. I think the watch they were selling was around £400, can't remember exactly and sorry can't recall the brand, probably Vostok. Kevin said along the lines of the following, I can't say 100% for sure however I think he did use the word guarantee:

'I can guarantee when you compare the build quality of this watch to many watches that are three, four, five thousand pounds, this is better.'

Now, I have no reason to disbelieve this in some cases, law of averages says of all the £3k+ watches for sale around the world, some won't be of the same quality as the circa £400 IW was selling. However surely it can't be the case that many £3k+ watches will be of a lesser build quality? Or was Kevin R spot on with his statement? I'm happy to stand corrected.

Latest posts

Back