Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mark, brought in a shop bought lasagne the other day. Presumably not to show the cooking and creative capabilities of the product he was meant to be assisting in showcasing. Could you see that guy John doing that?

Mark’s food from what I have seen appears to revolve around chips and pizza as his core items. I have also seen Mason not eating it. I suppose a dedicated and experienced kitchen products demonstrator would come with a bigger fee attached. At odds with the ‘on the cheap’ culture there.

It's likely that I'm one of the few people who don't have an air fryer. I bought 3 different types of air fryers from the old Ideal World and the food either didn't cook properly, took longer to cook than the given times, or just tasted absoulutley minging. I acknowledge that some of the food I see being prepared in them appears appealing. For the time being, I am content with using my oven.

By current design it is an outdated way of buying. The presenters often gear their language to appeal to older people in general. ‘Please buy because you’re helping the ‘family’ out - ME!! some of the more desperate plead. You are shown the goods for sale at their pace. The seller (the presenter) has often done little research on the product and knows little about anything to do with it. It’s like buying a used car from somebody’s standing in from the newsagent across the road. The presentations feature one brand only, last half an hour to an hour, with no other choices in the meantime.Then you are TOLD how long it will take to send them out and how they sent it. Their choice, not yours. If you order online, make a mistake or later change your mind, there are often no options to cancel - leaving you the hassle of receiving goods you don’t want and having then to send them back. If I want to buy an air fryer, say, online. I go to a major online retailer, read the specs, read the reviews, check the sending options, and then check similar air fryers they have on sale to directly compare. If I order one and subsequently change my mind, I have clear cancellation options - even post dispatch with some companies. I have confidence that what I order is going to be the right thing for me, because I have had the time to compare, and know when and how the goods will be delivered to me, and with my input. I have also been given a clear and flexible returns policy, and essentially been put in control of what I buy. Why would anybody used to shopping that way choose the former way of buying? without radical change, shopping television, I feel will be a historical and nostalgic look back in 20 or so years. No more.
I find handbag sales tedious, for the record I love handbags. They present them, show you the inside, any pockets, useful features, the lining etc. They then show you the colours they are selling.

Then comes the nonsense. They detail every possible event you could use this bag, weddings, funerals, lunch engagements, afternoon tea, trips to the council tip (OK I made that one up)1. Then the excessive description of what colours go wiith what. Then the nonsense of how a particular colour of bag "looks designer". Tan, according to Jess.

Then saying how a perfectly acceptable cheap and cheerful bag is similar (but not a direct comparison) to a VERY exclusive, expensive brand, you know the one...

And it goes on for an hour and I've lost the will to live...

It's likely that I'm one of the few people who don't have an air fryer. I bought 3 different types of air fryers from the old Ideal World and the food either didn't cook properly, took longer to cook than the given times, or just tasted absoulutley minging. I acknowledge that some of the food I see being prepared in them appears appealing. For the time being, I am content with using my oven.
Wow, you've had some bad experiences with yours. I love mine, had mine for about 18 months, didn't buy an expensive brand and not one of the bigger ones as I'm on my own. It was on offer in Robert Dyas.

I love my shop bought roast potatoes in them (can't be doing with preparing them from scratch!). Took a while to get the timings right, but sorted now and they're really crispy on the outside.

I can understand that you tried 3 of them and they're not for you!

I've got a ninja airfryer and love it, bought my daughter one and she loves it too. I used halogens before that and only use my big oven probably twice a year.

I've just bought both of us a replacement trivet as the non stick wears off over time. I bought everything from Ninja and had wonderful service, same day despatch, free delivery.

Was anybody watching on Tuesday afternoon? I couldn't resist texting Peter to ask why he was dressed like a homosexual lumberjack, or if he was auditioning for Brokeback Mountain 3. It didn't come as a surprise to me that it wasn't read.
Wow, you've had some bad experiences with yours. I love mine, had mine for about 18 months, didn't buy an expensive brand and not one of the bigger ones as I'm on my own. It was on offer in Robert Dyas.

I love my shop bought roast potatoes in them (can't be doing with preparing them from scratch!). Took a while to get the timings right, but sorted now and they're really crispy on the outside.

I can understand that you tried 3 of them and they're not for you!
My initial experience was with a single drawer that had a dial on top. All I tried to cook was, and they tasted like cardboard mixed with melted plastic. I returned it. The second one I tried was the own brand Linea Air Fryer Oven and followed the timing for Jacket Potatoes. They were still rock hard in the middle, tried cooking for another 10 mins, still hard, still hard in the middle at the time I could have cooked in my oven. I am unable to recall the third one. At this present time, they are not for me. When I use my oven, it usually takes less than an hour, including the 10 minutes to heat up, sometimes around an hour and a half.

By current design it is an outdated way of buying. The presenters often gear their language to appeal to older people in general. ‘Please buy because you’re helping the ‘family’ out - ME!! some of the more desperate plead. You are shown the goods for sale at their pace. The seller (the presenter) has often done little research on the product and knows little about anything to do with it. It’s like buying a used car from somebody’s standing in from the newsagent across the road. The presentations feature one brand only, last half an hour to an hour, with no other choices in the meantime.Then you are TOLD how long it will take to send them out and how they sent it. Their choice, not yours. If you order online, make a mistake or later change your mind, there are often no options to cancel - leaving you the hassle of receiving goods you don’t want and having then to send them back. If I want to buy an air fryer, say, online. I go to a major online retailer, read the specs, read the reviews, check the sending options, and then check similar air fryers they have on sale to directly compare. If I order one and subsequently change my mind, I have clear cancellation options - even post dispatch with some companies. I have confidence that what I order is going to be the right thing for me, because I have had the time to compare, and know when and how the goods will be delivered to me, and with my input. I have also been given a clear and flexible returns policy, and essentially been put in control of what I buy. Why would anybody used to shopping that way choose the former way of buying? without radical change, shopping television, I feel will be a historical and nostalgic look back in 20 or so years. No more.
It's maybe not the best analogy however I liken it to the high street. When I were a lad I got on the bus to go down the high street, rain hail shine. I'd go in whatever shops to browse, buy stuff then get on a bus home. Adults would be doing likewise, whether on bus or by using their car and parking on the high street or nearby car park. It was either that, local shops or catalogues.

Yes it can be argued edge of town supermarkets and retail parks were the first death knell for high streets, followed by online shopping. However hand on heart, would the majority of folk really want to go back to the original high street model? I seriously doubt it.

Oh it's such a shame <insert shop name here> closed. I used to love going in there for <insert product here>.
When was the last time you used it?
Oh I reckon maybe 7-8 years ago ...

Things change. To me much of selly telly is hanging on to the high street model (using my analogy) i.e. old outdated ways, which can only become less and less tenable.

Was anybody watching on Tuesday afternoon? I couldn't resist texting Peter to ask why he was dressed like a homosexual lumberjack, or if he was auditioning for Brokeback Mountain 3. It didn't come as a surprise to me that it wasn't read.
I saw him too. I thought he looked even more camp than that. Maybe if they sell red curly wigs, he can turn up dressed in the style of Ronald McDonald again. Other burgers are available.

I have a Ninja double air fryer. Very pleased with it. I cook sausages, bacon, and sausages, and some bacon occasionally. Oh…and home made chips…I always like to test out any kitchen product to its full capabilities and potential!

Continuing on the theme of air fryers, but this time in relation to pub quizzes. Last night our team was completely stumped by the following: ‘kitchen items connections’ round - ‘Flying member of a religious order’ We sat there each round going back on it and getting absolutely nowhere. Air fryers it was…Flippin’ air fryers!!

I have a Ninja double air fryer. Very pleased with it. I cook sausages, bacon, and sausages, and some bacon occasionally. Oh…and home made chips…I always like to test out any kitchen product to its full capabilities and potential!

Continuing on the theme of air fryers, but this time in relation to pub quizzes. Last night our team was completely stumped by the following: ‘kitchen items connections’ round - ‘Flying member of a religious order’ We sat there each round going back on it and getting absolutely nowhere. Air fryers it was…Flippin’ air fryers!!
I nearly bought one of them Instant Brands ones that kept coming up for sale quite often on the old Ideal World. I couldn't make my mind up between the twin drawer one, or the instant pot version. Jack never used to inspire me much with what he cooked, and if Joe was on with Gen, I found it cringy with the constant giggling.

Arrh menee of these dash cams ’ave I got left…18,000…18..Arrh Menee..???Oh sorry, Sal, 18…I flobbed up the second bit…. Usual part misinformation about insurance reductions on dash-cams… As far as I am aware, to qualify for any discount on your policy, you need to have a dash cam of a certain resolution and quality, manufactured by a company on the recognised insurance companies’ list to qualify. And even then, not all insurance, companies will offer a policy discount for dash cams, which in fairness, she did say.

I won‘t be relying on that toy looking plastic watch to check my heart beat…I might take my Action Man’s with it. Great Valentine’s Day present? Are you sure? I’d be forced to eat it if I gave that to my partner as one.

Last edited:
Price comparison
EDP 100ml buy all three for £29.97 on IW

an hour ago on TJC

Attachments

• F62F0E14-8D10-4258-9444-A23C3C5A6B52.png
    F62F0E14-8D10-4258-9444-A23C3C5A6B52.png
    817.7 KB · Views: 51
Watch repair kit, you get 6 free watch batteries, yes great.

Oh wait, which batteries Mike? from experience you need a big selection of batteries for watches, they don't all take the same battery. ;)
And how are you going to go on, if you buy it, to change the battery only to find you have a watch with a screw in back🤔😄Don't remember seeing a opener for them😁

Latest posts

Back