Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh dear..after a night of alcohol and curry abuse, with the fragility of the arrival of the morning, and the stark realities of such inappropriate conduct now dawning, I am horrified to be presented with the ghastly Foghorn Izal screeching at me with some potion or lotion or other. Has old Bridgestone Lips done a runner? Is this a recording? Is this staying on the screen…Control Box…..

You wonder if it will survive in its current form. No sign of the promised new studio eight months or so in. Is there really one? Was there one planned, but only if sales were good? Has it been shelved because they aren’t? Rob said recently that the electricians were delaying the studio being signed off, but he thought May perhaps, to finally move into it. We can only speculate on how much stock they are moving or not moving. Unless somebody from the inside of the business came on and posted that information, which of course they aren’t going to.

I just cannot see where they are getting their buying audience from in numbers to generate the sort of sales that make a brand-new studio etc. worthwhile? What sort of viewing figures do they get, either via the Freeview type platforms or via online access? Surely it must only be in the thousands? How many people are not viewers of the presentations themselves, but accessing to buy solely via the website and ordering from there? As you would do with an Amazon etc.. All fascinating things to know if you could.

TJC wanted the channel number and broadcasting space essentially? Is that right, Or is that too simplistic a reason for why they purchased the name? If Ideal World version three doesn’t succeed, then they still can use that channel number for something else, right? Why would they want to plough money into expanding an operation into fancy new surroundings, when their core market position is selling essentially £9.99 to £19.99 goods on frequent repetition? It doesn’t seem to make any sense to me? Maybe others can see more clearly their motivations and their long-term plan? TJC must know this is a dying market (literally) and shopping channels in the formats of Ideal World have a very limited shelf life as younger buyers just don’t shop this way. I wonder how they think they can change things to ensure long-term survival? Or is it seen by them and others as profit from the market for the next ten or fifteen years, then cut and run onto something else?

Last edited:
The only reason I can see for them buying it, was to create a business synergie, and an opportunity for cross selling to help increase the market growth for TJC. To me, this plan seemed strange since Ideal World viewers are used to buying heavily discounted branded goods, and TJC mostly sells cheap Far Eastern tat.The TJC's owners have a better understanding of business than I do. It must be seen as a big win for them, because they have a lot more Jewellery shows than they used to, but they also sell the same items as IW3 at certain times throughtout the days and IW3 is selling the tat from 10am until 2am 7 days per week.In the event that this channel fails, they will likely use CH51 as the TJC Beauty Channel.

Mike says Jo is next. He means Joanne, damn I thought it was Joe Remblance. I've nothing against her but she can talk the hind leg off a donkey
I had planned to watch a bit of her last night, however I switched over and she was on with resident know-it-all Peter Vol-au-vent flogging hoovers. Off it straight went.

They are reading out Amazon reviews for the Ecoegg product. I notice the prices there were not shown. £7.99 for what they are selling for £9.99.

On to tyre inflators. Don’t worry. I don’t need one. I use the one round my middle if needed. Surprisingly, they didn’t use the below as the direct price comparison for their one at £89.99. They used an indirect price comparison for one costing over £200. Shame on them.

IMG_3144.jpeg

Last edited:
I just cannot see where they are getting their buying audience from in numbers to generate the sort of sales that make a brand-new studio etc. worthwhile? What sort of viewing figures do they get, either via the Freeview type platforms or via online access? Surely it must only be in the thousands? How many people are not viewers of the presentations themselves, but accessing to buy solely via the website and ordering from there? As you would do with an Amazon etc.. All fascinating things to know if you could.
I still occasionally check out the YouTube stream, although not as much as I used to, and numbers tend to hover around the teens on there (although don't be surprised to see them in single figures either). The highest I've ever seen was 28 (which was for a post-midnight show after the Freeview coverage had gone off air), the lowest 2 (3 when I briefly joined), which was for one of Gen's shows.

How many people are not viewers of the presentations themselves, but accessing to buy solely via the website and ordering from there? As you would do with an Amazon etc.. All fascinating things to know if you could.
Why on earth anyone would choose to a) view and b) buy from the IW website goodness only knows. It's like when they tried the Marketplace thing a couple of years back.

Ah yes, I'll go onto their website to view their MASSIVE selection of 15, yes a HUGE 15, different products in the fitness equipment and tech section.

Why bother viewing THOUSANDS of fitness and tech products on the likes of Amazon ...

Last edited:
You wonder if it will survive in its current form. No sign of the promised new studio eight months or so in. Is there really one? Was there one planned, but only if sales were good? Has it been shelved because they aren’t? Rob said recently that the electricians were delaying the studio being signed off, but he thought May perhaps, to finally move into it. We can only speculate on how much stock they are moving or not moving. Unless somebody from the inside of the business came on and posted that information, which of course they aren’t going to.

TJC wanted the channel number and broadcasting space essentially? Is that right, Or is that too simplistic a reason for why they purchased the name? If Ideal World version three doesn’t succeed, then they still can use that channel number for something else, right? Why would they want to plough money into expanding an operation into fancy new surroundings, when their core market position is selling essentially £9.99 to £19.99 goods on frequent repetition? It doesn’t seem to make any sense to me? Maybe others can see more clearly their motivations and their long-term plan? TJC must know this is a dying market (literally) and shopping channels in the formats of Ideal World have a very limited shelf life as younger buyers just don’t shop this way. I wonder how they think they can change things to ensure long-term survival? Or is it seen by them and others as profit from the market for the next ten or fifteen years, then cut and run onto something else?
I heard Andy Love over on Hobbymaker (Gemporia) say that shopping TV can shift more in a day than most regular retailers which is how they can get good deals and lots of one day type offers. Not sure how that applies to online retailers but there must be something in it. They are never that clear on IW about how many they actually have or how many they sell. If TJC's other businesses are profitable it makes sense to take a punt with random stuff that you might be able to shift easily, though I really wonder about Ideal World's choices and if they are really shifting quantity

Oh dear..after a night of alcohol and curry abuse, with the fragility of the arrival of the morning, and the stark realities of such inappropriate conduct now dawning, I am horrified to be presented with the ghastly Foghorn Izal screeching at me with some potion or lotion or other. Has old Bridgestone Lips done a runner? Is this a recording? Is this staying on the screen…Control Box…..
I haven't watched Sally in a while but I was taken aback by the state of her hair. It really looks like a cheap wig but I know it isn't. What the hell?

I caught a glimpse of shopontv late last night on itv1 and they were flogging the same potions with the same before/after pictures that Jacks was this morning. Different presenters. This seems to suggest there is a connection between IW3 and shopontv but I thought the latter was an itv venture.

If this is the case why bother to duplicate a seemingly failing format?

The two people who are directors of Shop on TV, are the people who started the original IW back in the year 2000 when it launched. The guy (Richard Instant effects) who was on last night, used to sell on IW in the past, also on QVC. The two presenters used to present on IW2. So you are right, they are all tied to the IW brand, although the current version is Ideal World in name only. I am sure somebody will correct me, if anything I have said is incorrect.

I heard Andy Love over on Hobbymaker (Gemporia) say that shopping TV can shift more in a day than most regular retailers which is how they can get good deals and lots of one day type offers. Not sure how that applies to online retailers but there must be something in it. They are never that clear on IW about how many they actually have or how many they sell. If TJC's other businesses are profitable it makes sense to take a punt with random stuff that you might be able to shift easily, though I really wonder about Ideal World's choices and if they are really shifting quantity
This was indeed the draw for suppliers i.e. the sheer quantity selly telly can shift. And it is no doubt still relevant today ... for those channels that feature recognisable brands. e.g. you can see the appeal QVC has for Dyson.

How much this holds true for the current incarnation of IW I'm not so sure. Much of their stuff is unbranded and will be sourced by them. I doubt they have many actual brands knocking at the proverbial door desperate for IW to feature their goods ...

The two people who are directors of Shop on TV, are the people who started the original IW back in the year 2000 when it launched. The guy (Richard Instant effects) who was on last night, used to sell on IW in the past, also on QVC. The two presenters used to present on IW2. So you are right, they are all tied to the IW brand, although the current version is Ideal World in name only. I am sure somebody will correct me, if anything I have said is incorrect.

Not quite, the two (Kay & Wright) who originally started IW were behind the Shop Extra channel at create and craft, the two at Shop on Tv are the two that came into IW when Aurelius took over Ideal World 2018, they were at the helm when Ideal Shoping Direct went on their downward spiral to administration. Then Hamish Morjaria tried to raise the phoenix from the ashes, but the damage had already been done by the previous lot.

Not quite, the two (Kay & Wright) who originally started IW were behind the Shop Extra channel at create and craft, the two at Shop on Tv are the two that came into IW when Aurelius took over Ideal World 2018, they were at the helm when Ideal Shoping Direct went on their downward spiral to administration. Then Hamish Morjaria tried to raise the phoenix from the ashes, but the damage had already been done by the previous lot.
Are they involved because it was them who got IW the night slot on ITV, so they will have been known to the people at ITV?

Latest posts

Back