Shay & Blue TSV 08/11/23

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I keep trying & testing to find a more modern scent that I like. My loves are the old ones, especially Arpege (Lanvin), Rochas Femme & Chanel No5.
Whenever I’m in somewhere like Boots, don’t live near any big department stores, I test things I think sound interesting but have never yet found one I don’t want to wash off immediately. Gets a bit depressing, you’d think there would be some at least.
I love vintage, I wore Femme as a teenager they changed the forum in 1989 adding cumin. So I had to hunt to get an earlier version on eBay. Arpege is fabulous.

Some years back I was given as an extra in a swap on a perfume board a partly used Hermes Parfum d'Hermes, which I have nearly finished. It was discontinued back in 1999. But Hermes bought a slightly different version called Rouge Hermes, so I managed to get a 2001 original bottle on eBay this week. It arrived sealed in cellophane with the lovely leaflet and red gold lined pouch. It smells beyond gorgeous. I did date check my bottle on Raiders of The Lost Scent, so know it is 2001.

I was just looking for reviews of this Dark Amber Pomegranate but can’t find any. I did see a new one on Fragrantica, though: Rain Shower Leaf.

IMG_4835.jpeg

Not sure I like perfumes that list white florals in the notes, unfortunately. Also, what is “animalic” - essence of wet dog?

Okay, it is a better description of animatic notes than mine.

The term "animalic" refers to both raw aroma materials and "fantasy" notes (derived from synthesis in the lab) which directly evoke a scent reminiscent of animals—either real ones, or more metaphorically, the libidinous nature of our own human animal instincts—and their primal force.

So amber is classed as one.

Okay, it is a better description of animatic notes than mine.

The term "animalic" refers to both raw aroma materials and "fantasy" notes (derived from synthesis in the lab) which directly evoke a scent reminiscent of animals—either real ones, or more metaphorically, the libidinous nature of our own human animal instincts—and their primal force.

So amber is classed as one.
Sounds better than farmyard fragrances at least. It still seems to me an odd scent to want to create, although I don’t mind a bit of musk in some cases and I know they often refer to pheromones in scents and sexual attraction.

I love vintage, I wore Femme as a teenager they changed the forum in 1989 adding cumin. So I had to hunt to get an earlier version on eBay. Arpege is fabulous.

Some years back I was given as an extra in a swap on a perfume board a partly used Hermes Parfum d'Hermes, which I have nearly finished. It was discontinued back in 1999. But Hermes bought a slightly different version called Rouge Hermes, so I managed to get a 2001 original bottle on eBay this week. It arrived sealed in cellophane with the lovely leaflet and red gold lined pouch. It smells beyond gorgeous. I did date check my bottle on Raiders of The Lost Scent, so know it is 2001.
Now Arperge by Lanvin was a mega favourite of mine. Can you still get it?

Oh, yes, you can. I bought a bottle of 100 MLS online for £29.99 this year.

I think it was allbeauty.com? Different offers at different times or try eBay some online stores sell on there.

I thought animatic was the synthetic version of civet and ambergris etc which are not used any more too.

I bought some Arpege very cheaply on allbeauty (I think), the 100ml size. It was a blind buy to try. I did like it when it dried down but it was totally overpowering on my skin until that point. Sadly it took hours to dry down and I was just overwhelmed so I gave it to my neighbour to try and she likes it, so she has it now. I also got the Eclat d’Arpege which I have only tried briefly but think I will get on better with that one. In the same mad buying spree I also got Azalee by Lalique which I like very much and A Girl in Capri (despite being years off being a girl) by Lanvin which is a lovely lemon. So not bad for a blind buying session really and at least the Arpege found a home, 😂

I've got a half bottle of Hermes Un Jardin sur La Nil and was hoping to get another in Gibraltar but , unfortunately, our stop in Gib was cancelled due to a storm force 10 and 8-10 metre seas.
I'll look on eBay/Amazon for one.

I have lots of perfumes that are over 30 years old, they have been stored in a cool dark place, I guess they wouldn’t smell too good now but I can’t throw them out as the bottles are beautiful 🤩
Most of my perfumes are no more than 5 years old but I did buy a lot in these last 5 years (I have cut down on the buying now but definitely haven‘t stopped). I think the oldest I have is 12 years and I store them all carefully, like you. I don’t think any are in particularly lovely bottles that I wouldn’t want to get rid of but I keep them if they smelt ok and I’m finding many stand the test of time very well. There are a few unopened and in still sealed boxes which I’m hoping will be like new. Hopefully, you will find your older ones are all right, too. People do buy and sell vintage perfumes on eBay and I doubt there would be such a good market for them if they had gone rank. Donna will tell us!

Places like Basenotes a forum for perfume freaks. It's okay, I am one too. Love vintage and always when asked say go for the vintage if you can get one. Perfume houses as I said reformulate never usually say a new bottle shape is the giveaway. Some reformulate within two years, sometimes, which is very quick. Dior Homme the inner tube which is visible was silver on release gorgeous iris then quickly the inner tube became black. So they changed something as those who repurchased said it was slightly different.

Usually the top notes will fade first, I have a 1960 bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille extract bought sealed with the gold wire. It is still gorgeous and not turned to vinegar, but the top notes faded a little. The seller sold all sorts and did not know what he had, I got it for £23 other bottles selling for £££s. Several years back from a US seller, I bought Chanel no22 I showed it to the SA at the Chanel counter and said that is late 80s or early 90s she could tell by the sprayer on the bottle. Really gorgeous but so powerful it could take down low flying planes. I bought it as it was such a good deal at the time. The seller even marked it as a gift, so I did not have to pay tax on it. Some buy small fridges to keep their vintage perfumes in. Me always in the box if bought without the box in a drawer in the bedroom. So when I see on TV people with just the bottles on the dressing table in full sunlight, I shudder. So keep in the box and a dark cool place a drawer in the bedroom is fine.

Places like Basenotes a forum for perfume freaks. It's okay, I am one too. Love vintage and always when asked say go for the vintage if you can get one. Perfume houses as I said reformulate never usually say a new bottle shape is the giveaway. Some reformulate within two years, sometimes, which is very quick. Dior Homme the inner tube which is visible was silver on release gorgeous iris then quickly the inner tube became black. So they changed something as those who repurchased said it was slightly different.

Usually the top notes will fade first, I have a 1960 bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille extract bought sealed with the gold wire. It is still gorgeous and not turned to vinegar, but the top notes faded a little. The seller sold all sorts and did not know what he had, I got it for £23 other bottles selling for £££s. Several years back from a US seller, I bought Chanel no22 I showed it to the SA at the Chanel counter and said that is late 80s or early 90s she could tell by the sprayer on the bottle. Really gorgeous but so powerful it could take down low flying planes. I bought it as it was such a good deal at the time. The seller even marked it as a gift, so I did not have to pay tax on it. Some buy small fridges to keep their vintage perfumes in. Me always in the box if bought without the box in a drawer in the bedroom. So when I see on TV people with just the bottles on the dressing table in full sunlight, I shudder. So keep in the box and a dark cool place a drawer in the bedroom is fine.
My perfume is never left out. It's either in my stash box or in the drawer if it's one I use on a daily basis.

Yeah, same here with the perfume storage. It does seem a shame not to display some of the bottles but it’s more important to preserve the perfumes, I agree.

Back to Shay & Blue, I drove over to a big M&S store today and had a quick look in case they had either of the two 2023 ones I just learned about. Sadly not, and in fact their S&B display was much reduced compared to my previous visit this year. Anyway, I thought I’d give two of the old S&B mainstays another chance, even though I always thought they weren’t my thing, but knowing they’re apparently the most popular. So on went a little spritz of Black Tulip on one hand and Atropa Belladonna on the other (actually the first two I ever had but fortunately I persevered and tried others from the brand because I have 3 or 4 firm favourites now). Well, the “let me just try again because everyone else seems to love them” idea was misguided. I LOATHE them! Well, to be fair, the Black Tulip faded fast and I can’t smell it now so I’m not sure I’ve given that a proper retrial. The Atropa B though (I can’t even bring myself to type the full name) just won’t go away. It lingers everywhere - including the car! Don’t know how I didn’t crash on the M25! I can’t wait to get in the bath and boil wash all my clothes.

My apologies to forum friends who like it. We’ll probably never meet so you won’t have me vomiting on your shoes.

Suffolk Lavender, long gone, is one I love. Salt Carmel which are starts smelling like warm popcorn and Framboise Noire are the ones I own. The new ones they bring out, I never like the sound of not a fan of all these fruit ones they keep bringing out.

Yeah, same here with the perfume storage. It does seem a shame not to display some of the bottles but it’s more important to preserve the perfumes, I agree.

Back to Shay & Blue, I drove over to a big M&S store today and had a quick look in case they had either of the two 2023 ones I just learned about. Sadly not, and in fact their S&B display was much reduced compared to my previous visit this year. Anyway, I thought I’d give two of the old S&B mainstays another chance, even though I always thought they weren’t my thing, but knowing they’re apparently the most popular. So on went a little spritz of Black Tulip on one hand and Atropa Belladonna on the other (actually the first two I ever had but fortunately I persevered and tried others from the brand because I have 3 or 4 firm favourites now). Well, the “let me just try again because everyone else seems to love them” idea was misguided. I LOATHE them! Well, to be fair, the Black Tulip faded fast and I can’t smell it now so I’m not sure I’ve given that a proper retrial. The Atropa B though (I can’t even bring myself to type the full name) just won’t go away. It lingers everywhere - including the car! Don’t know how I didn’t crash on the M25! I can’t wait to get in the bath and boil wash all my clothes.

My apologies to forum friends who like it. We’ll probably never meet so you won’t have me vomiting on your shoes.
Are you sure you got them the right way round?😂😂. I find Atropa B as mild as anything. Black Tulip, which I love, is incredibly strong on my skin and no fade for ages. Today I cracked open a new bottle, BlackBerry Woods. I like it, on my skin it’s a milder version of Amber Rose. I really like that but again, very strong on my skin. I only had a sample of Framboise Noir, IIRC, and it was rather sharp on me. Many perfumes just fade on me.

My stash is kept in a cupboard unless brought out to use.

Suffolk Lavender, long gone, is one I love. Salt Carmel which are starts smelling like warm popcorn and Framboise Noire are the ones I own. The new ones they bring out, I never like the sound of not a fan of all these fruit ones they keep bringing out.
Suffolk Lavender is one I missed out on trying but I bet it’s gorgeous. I have and very much like Salt Caramel but don’t quite love it enough to keep repurchasing. Framboise Noire is really lovely and is definitely on my list.

Suffolk Lavender is one I missed out on trying but I bet it’s gorgeous. I have and very much like Salt Caramel but don’t quite love it enough to keep repurchasing. Framboise Noire is really lovely and is definitely on my list.
I have the Salt Caramel and love it🙂also I love the chocolate 😀

Latest posts

Back