Smashbox Pulling out of QVC UK

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Any ideas for my eyebrows ??? first I lost the models prefer now this one help!!!!!
Mollymoo

Mollymooooo, I fear you may be putting an eyebrow jinx on QVC!! Avon do quite a good one its a pencil type like Models Prefer - you could give it a go.

Yes you can sharpen them! I have a Barry M sharpener which works well. The standard size eye pencil sharpener won't work as these Smashbox liners are like chubby sticks and need a wider diameter sharpener.

Just realised my post made me look like a bit of a plum, the reason I doubted a good sharpen was because it looked like I would be sharpening plastic and I wondered if that was OK. Thanks so much!

Could be me - where should I start next, who do we want rid of lol!!
Will order the Avon one - book just come in the door - freaky ha ha
Mollymoo

I was looking for a VERY chubby pencil sharpener for my LG caulk pencil I got for 5.99 on eBay with no sharpener. Found one in superdrog. It's perfect and cost peanuts.

I'm disappointed but not surprised that SB are pulling out of the UK. I've mentioned before an article on the British Beauty Blogger website detailing why SB doesn't have the support of beauty editors in the UK. Without this it is virtually impossible for them to get magazine space, good reviews etc. and so they have very little presence in the market. The counters don't do the brand any favours either, they never have the newer products in, the staff usually haven't even heard of them and what they do have is grossly overpriced. It could and should be a really good mid-priced brand but as far as I'm concerned they didn't have the backing of SB US or of Estee Lauder. Oddly it seemed to do reasonably well in Ireland and quite regularly featured in Stellar magazine, I wonder if the Irish counters will close?

They failed in the UK once before so not that surprising that it happened again. Back to eBay for me then (although I'm reluctant to buy much SB any more following aforementioned article). They sell it in Australia but it's extortionate...as is everything here.

Speaking of brands coming and going, Calvin Klein cosmetics are being laucnhed in the UK shortly, for the THIRD time!!!

Tx

I'm disappointed but not surprised that SB are pulling out of the UK. I've mentioned before an article on the British Beauty Blogger website detailing why SB doesn't have the support of beauty editors in the UK. Without this it is virtually impossible for them to get magazine space, good reviews etc. and so they have very little presence in the market. The counters don't do the brand any favours either, they never have the newer products in, the staff usually haven't even heard of them and what they do have is grossly overpriced. It could and should be a really good mid-priced brand but as far as I'm concerned they didn't have the backing of SB US or of Estee Lauder. Oddly it seemed to do reasonably well in Ireland and quite regularly featured in Stellar magazine, I wonder if the Irish counters will close?

They failed in the UK once before so not that surprising that it happened again. Back to eBay for me then (although I'm reluctant to buy much SB any more following aforementioned article). They sell it in Australia but it's extortionate...as is everything here.

Speaking of brands coming and going, Calvin Klein cosmetics are being laucnhed in the UK shortly, for the THIRD time!!!

Tx

You'd think CK would realise by now they are flogging a dead horse by relaunching CK yet again! TJ Hughes was awash with the stuff (before it went under) and TK Maxx has some CK cosmetics at the moment that no one seems to buy.

Estee Lauder are pulling them out of Europe as well, they are sold in Beligum and Ireland.

Actually the real reason has nothing to do with the beauty blogger, or editors. Smashbox was priced far too high, QVC had reduced prices as the norm. Smashbox priced itself in the highend brand market, their newest foundation is only £3 cheaper than the new Chanel one. The little cream eyeliner palettes which used to be around £15 are now £29!!!! The little trio eyeshadows are £20! The eyeshadow pallets are £44!!! Then EL bought the company last year and very quickly the quality started to go. Look at the Halo so many complains, the colour started running much darker than when it was first release. Estee Lauder did the same to Stila when they bought the company, dumped down on the quality and then wondered why no one was buying. Smashbox should be priced in the MAC price range not Chanel.

I was told in my local Debenhams the counter was dead and they went through staff like no one's business. When it first opened in Debenhams moving from House of Fraser in Belfast they made £26,000 in their first week!!!! That level continued for quite a while. The staff started changing and just did not seem to care as much. I remember the guy manager from HoF he was so passionate about the brand, he moved into training in Ireland. The girl who took over again loved the brand and you could tell, she moved back to the US. The new staff if you asked about new releases seen online knew nothing about it. I asked last year about the In Bloom palette which was the Spring collection. She knew nothing about it and said she had no idea if it would even come to the UK!!!!
Urban Decay have moved into the market Smashbox had, cheaper to buy and pulling out quickly in the UK/Europe the new releases.

I know reading the beauty boards which do tend to be US based Smashbox is very rarely mentioned at all now. Their biggest customers are QVC US, who get exclusives and audio deliveries on TSV as the norm.

The original CK brand in the silver packaging was fabulous, I actually still have two of the lipsticks. The new version is boring and looks cheap.

Very disappointed to hear this. Although I use a lot of Bobbi Brown, and now New CID I really love Smashbox. But there's a lot of competition out there. I just wonder how I'll find suitable replacements for my beloved primes, brow tech and Halo powders, particularly the latter since I have such pale skin it's really difficult to find a good colour match. Fortunately, I just ordered new in all of these and they last so long at least I'll have time to shop around.

According to InStyle magazine the Best New Cosmetic Launch is Tom Ford,God how I would love to see him on Q.
Lynn.

lynnonthelake, his lipstick costs £36 for one. His private blend perfumes small size 50mls edp costs £127.

Don't think QVC would dare sell that those prices. My local House of Fraser is getting in the private blends they have one at the moment which is selling well. Talk is the makeup will be coming.

lynnonthelake, his lipstick costs £36 for one. His private blend perfumes small size 50mls edp costs £127.

Don't think QVC would dare sell that those prices. My local House of Fraser is getting in the private blends they have one at the moment which is selling well. Talk is the makeup will be coming.

thats a lot of money for makeup amd smellies....

Tom Ford £60 for 30ml of foundation, that I just caught on a review doesn't cover spots.:wonder:

Wonder what his profit margin is on those?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they were manufactured in factories that produce other, cheaper lines then just put in fancy packaging with a bigger price. It happens with other brands.

Hi,

I have some of his eyeshadows and an eye pencil, and they really are a dream.

Easy to put on, easy to blend. I usually wear Mac or Bobbi Brown, but TF knocks those into a cocked hat.

Cheers,
Karen

I am a member of the Smashbox Facebook page and posted a question about this. Smashbox have replied that they are still being sold in Debenhams in the UK and they have a new QVC UK show on March 24!

Yes the show on the 24th is the last one on QVC UK. Below is the official reply from QVC UK I received.
]
Thank you for contacting QVC .

Unfortunately the Smashbox range has now been cancelled at QVC and as such will not be restocked in the future.

If we can help with anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes

I actually asked when I first heard on the Debenhams Beauty Page and was ignored.

It was the staff in Belfast who were told they Smashbox are pulling out altogether. Now I don't speak to any of the actual staff but am friend's with women on other counters who are friendly with Smashbox sales staff. It was she who told me Smashbox are pulling out everywhere. As I thought it was just Belfast. Also the person on facebook said they Smashbox where expanding in the UK. Strange how the staff in Debenhams have been given their notice is they are.

Last edited:
OOoooooh I would love Tom Ford on QVC - the man is a dream - gay but a dream one of my phwar men!!!!
But on a serius side I wonder if smashbox will still be in the airports??
Mollymoo - off to smell my Tom Ford perfume.......

Latest posts

Back