Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I suspect that at some point in the near future we`ll all be expected to produce a vaccination certificate alongside our passport before being allowed to travel/sail/fly to outside of the UK.

That’ll be even more reason for my not bothering to go abroad. I will get the vaccination when it’s available, but my desire to go abroad again is zero.

I use my cheque book all the time, to pay utility bills, milkman, credit card bill, car repair man, and never had a problem. I refuse to do on-line banking, I am fearful of my system 'freezing', or connection dropping while in the middle of a transaction - where is my money then ??? in cyberspace somewhere, notwithstanding all the hacking that goes on.

No, I get cash from an ATM, use my debit/credit card daily, and send off a cheque to pay off the c/credit each month. This suits me and I've no intention of changing.

I tried to open a savings account last week at the market's highest rate, as recommended by Martin Lewis's website.

The rate was confirmed when I logged onto the bank, but it took about 20 minutes to fill in pages and pages of information.

Just as I got to the end and was about to click confirm, I noticed that the rate had dropped considerably (it was a fixed rate account for 1 year).

I fired off an email, they took a week to reply, and they said the rate went down when I was applying.

I think that is wrong, as soon as I filled in the first page of the application form (name and address) that should have fixed it for me at the rate I was applying for.

Rang them today, and I am making a formal complaint to the bank and probably the ombudsman if they won't give me the advertised rate.

I have had no problem with online banking but I make sure I log off and that is confirmed.If I do get a dodgy phone call I let the bank know that I have not given out any information and they said that goes on your record.If anyone did hack my account they would get what is left of my pension depending on the date they hacked!

My passport expired in 2014 and I’m not renewing it. I’m no doubt in the minority but, having been abroad a lot in the past, I’ve no desire to join the “I must go abroad” fraternity once this pandemic is finally over. In the unlikely event I do have to go abroad, I’ll get one of the short term passports, assuming they still do them. If they don’t then I’m more than happy to stay in England.
I just want the choice!

Coughs! I actually worked in the passport office in the 90s, and the one-year passports very popular especially for people going to Lourdes. I used to get people saying they would pray for me for rushing them through. Another guy used to get bottles of whiskey!

The real reason they were discontinued? Well, they were cheap and not as many checks needed so it was really easy for terrorists to get them to travel to EU countries that had British Army bases and bomb them. The most famous one was were 3 IRA members who were carrying out an attack on The Rock and got rumbled and shot. There was even a documentary Death On The Rock, they all had one-year passports made out in fake names but issued through the real passport office. They will never return as the Home Office make like 90+% profit on every passport issued.

I use my cheque book all the time, to pay utility bills, milkman, credit card bill, car repair man, and never had a problem. I refuse to do on-line banking, I am fearful of my system 'freezing', or connection dropping while in the middle of a transaction - where is my money then ??? in cyberspace somewhere, notwithstanding all the hacking that goes on.

No, I get cash from an ATM, use my debit/credit card daily, and send off a cheque to pay off the c/credit each month. This suits me and I've no intention of changing.
You`re very lucky Brissles. I inherited a string of Mikimoto pearls which belonged to my Mother. Initially I thought she must have bought them during the 1960`s but when I looked at a photo of her which was taken on her 21st birthday in 1939 and then another photo taken on her wedding day a couple of years later I realised she was wearing them in both photos. Her Father must have bought them as her 21st birthday gift because her Mum had already passed away.
Anyway when I inherited them they were in dire need of re stringing plus the clasp was broken but they were in their original silk lined leather case. They sat untouched in my drawer for years and I never bothered about them, in fact at one time I considered giving them away.
Not being a jewellery expert I didn`t realise how much they were worth and when I took them to a local jeweller he wouldn`t touch them. He said if they were fitted with anything other than a genuine Mikimoto clasp it would instantly devalue them and to arrange to have them sent directly to Mikmoto.
I contacted Mikimoto in London Bond Street and they told me they would have to authenticate the pearls first and would be in touch after I posted them off by recorded delivery. When they got back to me and told me the pearls were genuine and how much they were worth I could have dropped through the floor. The only clasps Mikimoto now fit are solid 18ct gold in either white or yellow gold and the restringing would cost £15 per inch. The cost in total was just over £500 but the pearls are worth much more than that. I wanted them done so they could become a family heirloom and worn by my grand daughters and future generations on their wedding day.
So you can imagine how annoyed I was when they wouldn`t accept a cheque as payment for the repair or wouldn`t let me pay my card over the phone, especially as they had hold of a £4,000 string of pearls !

Vienna ! how did they expect you to pay then, if not by card over the phone ? by personal visit to the shop ??? but how wonderful for you. Perhaps you should have tried your luck on the Repair Shop !
I had to traipse to the bank Brissles and ask them to do a bank transfer for me. I don`t do internet banking but obviously many places such as Mikimoto expect it.

Would this not just be like current requirements for things like yellow fever where you can’t gain entry into certain countries without the paperwork showing you have the correct jabs?
I really don’t know what requirements will be needed, I think we will have a test when we wake up a test when you use the toilet a test when you eat a test when you drink a test when you breathe a test when you speak a test when you put your clothes on a test if anyone asks you anything a test to sit down a test to stand up and a test to see if you had a test!!!😄

Quantas has announced no vaccine no travel.
Who'd fly with them? The last time I flew with them they tried to starve me to death, make me sleep for 20 hours out of 24 and huffed when I asked for a free gin. I was coming home from Australia and it was a long way. I lost about a stone on the flight I was so hungry.

CC

There will be some enterprising nut who will be printing T shirts and badges for us to wear with "I've been vaccinated" on.

Thing is, there are lots of asymptomatics about who could spread the stuff without realising it, and honestly ? I don't want to be one of their victims at my age. So I will have the vaccination.

In my store we get so many customers not wearing a face covering but wearing one of those sodding sunflower lanyards and declaring to all and sundry, and usually quite rudely 'I'm exempt!

There isn't any testing to determine if someone should be excused from wearing a mask, the lanyards are available to be purchased from supermarkets.

I would have thought that should you have a condition that precludes wearing a mask such as asthma or COPD the last thing you would want is a deadly virus that attacks the lungs!

One of my colleagues has asthma and she wears a mask during her shifts, not only to protect herself but to protect everyone else as she has a six year old germ factory daughter in primary school and I have a good friend, a cancer survivor who has COPD and he wears a mask as soon as he steps beyond his garden gate.

We notice though that a lot of people wearing sunflower lanyards walk down the street either smoking or vaping....

Latest posts

Back