The pot and the kettle.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The vast majority of the stuff they peddle is tat and genuine bargains, once you have factored in the extortionate P&P and call cost, are rarer than hen's teeth. It's a cowboy operation and the selling practices are quite appalling. There is no positive side to Bid from what I have seen.

As my mummy would say 'A penny has two sides" i agree with you all that BID UP has been misleading in certain areas. i have written a stern letter to the managers at BID UP outlining my disapproval as a regular buyer and also contacted some of the presenters through face book too. i get the impression they are very embarrassed by the ASA rulings and are working to stop it from happening again. I also get the impression that the blame should sit just on the shoulder of the presenter. but they get the blame from us because they are the face. i think there are more strings behind the scenes than we realize.

On the other hand there are also so very many comments on here that are inaccurate or misleading or misquoted. i watch BID UP all the time and have now started recording it as i am frustrated reading on here things that are clearly exaggerated or conveniently selected bits of what the presenters say. its hypocritical but in a way quite ironic. you exaggerate the facts in order to berate them for exaggerating the facts lol.
O
I have bought in the last 10 days some super bargains
A moisonite ring .75 ct in 9k gold - £99.99!
Ladies Catier perfum for £14.99!!

A lovely leather weekend bag for £17.991
The who DVD's for my hubby - £1!!

Kat xxx

I think we'll have to disagree on what we'd consider to be a bargain a hundred. Pounds on a ring will never be. Bargain in my book! Glad you've got money to spend

I think we'll have to disagree on what we'd consider to be a bargain a hundred. Pounds on a ring will never be. Bargain in my book! Glad you've got money to spend

I must actually give James Russell some credit. When he was selling Moissanite last night he did actually give a candid and thorough description of the stones and that they are in fact man made, he hasn't always been so frank when selling it but he was this time.

Last edited:
So many of You berate these presenters for exaggerating *the positive aspects if an item and ignoring the negative. Yet all I read is posts exaggerating the negative aspects of the channel and ignoring the good. I find it very hypocritical.*
I have seen some super bargains lately but they are never mentioned on here. But if a product is sold that can be found cheaper elsewhere it is headline news! Also I keep hearing presenters talking about the delivery charge. But again no mention. It's like you only want to complain and are incapable of compliment!*
I am starting to think that some of you are as bad as them! Especially when it comes to twisting the facts. I can't count the times I have watched a show then come on here to see the response, only to find the presenters words have been misquoted, taken out of context or totally exaggerated and sensationalised. All just so someone can start a new exciting thread.*

I know I will be ridiculed for this post as I seem to be one of the only people *who speaks favourably about BID UP. But I
would LOVE this forum to be about shopping and bargains not moaning and sensationalism. and I think it's time we give some credit to the people who are doing a very good job.*

Kat xxx

They're getting exactly what they deserve! I'm sorry but to go on TV and tell blatant lies that are misleading & in the case of Peter Simon's where to apply body moisturiser tips, (around the eyes)!!, James Russell's tips about how to brush your teeth, (side to side), err not acording to a professor of dentisty it isn't, in fact doing that long term can cause irreversible significant damage to gums!! & Mike Mason scaring the elderly and vulnerable sh*tless to buy snow melt when all he had to do was actually read the USP's on the front of the label to see how to really sell it properly is utterly shameful! If they were even "OK" people wouldn't be on this forum in their droves saying how disgusted they are with wthat they've seen on Bid would they?! They don't do it about QVC. They may point something out but that's about it.

One day Bid will over step the line one last time & that will be it, finito, just like auction world a few years ago. If the regulator won't do it a member of parliament will. I did update the Mike Mason thread as promised to say that how the guy on the other sister channel sold the ice melt stuff successfully & professionally. (He had clearly read the label & these threads as compared it to the regular brand in the DIY shops). I doubt if people will ever get their "Yarvik" ipad tho courtesy of Peter Simon LOL!

Last edited:
I've just re-read my first post in this thread, and have noticed I wrote "I for one..." about 20 trillion times.

God, I sound pompous :giggle:

I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

I reckon Katbaker is really "Our Bet" and I claim my £5.00 + £7.99 P+P :happy:

You ask why I defend BID UP? Well I have MS and am homebound. I suffered a great loss years ago and took it very badly. It was a dark time for me. Watching BID UP provided me with some company. I contacted some of my favourite presenters and they where very kind and generous with their time. One even came to visit me.
So yes. I feel I owe them my efforts to ensure the abuse against them is at least fair. I don’t believe they are whiter than white. But I have mentioned this already. But I do know that much of what is written on here is blown out of proportion and sensationalised.
If there was more ACTUAL BID UP customers and viewers on here I am sure they would agree. You seem to think that anybody that buys from them is an idiot. I disagree. There are great deals on BID UP even with the delivery charges. But I get the impression nobody on here cares about that. Its got to the point of a mob culture on here where nobody is allowed to say anything positive as they will be berated for it. It reminds me of a Derren Brown show I watched called ‘the audience’ which showed how a group anonymous people formed a hateful mob and became hell bent on causing hurt and pain. Its not everyone on here. But it is a lot. Maybe when you are in the midst of it you don’t see how ugly it is. But from the outside you get a very different view.

I try to imagine what type of person some of you are. A person who will hide behind an alias and ruthlessly mock another human being. Defending your ugly actions by convincing yourselves they are ‘thick skinned’ because they are on TV. I speak to these people and they are anything but. In fact they are extremely vulnerable and sensitive. They are after all ‘people’ their choice of career doesn’t make them immune to criticism. In fact. In 62 years I am yet to meet anyone who is. I doubt you are! But then I have found the people who least like criticism are often the most critical of others.

This will be the last time I come on here for a while. This place is too full of hate and anger for me. I think anybody who dedicates their lives to watching a channel they don’t like just to moan about it should maybe stop and take a look at the value of life. Of course you are pretty sad and very lonely. That goes without saying. And I imagine the reason you are all so abusive now is because it is Christmas and I expect you will be spending it alone. But that is no reason to take it out on someone else.

I appreciate we have very different views and are very different people. But I love this channel and I am not nasty enough to be around such a mob.

Please try and have a merry Christmas

God bless you all

Kat xxx

You know Kat, no-one meant to upset you, and I see you have a personal reason for liking these presenters and wanting to defend their 'honour', and that is all lovely and very nice of you, genuinely. I too am housebound, have been for 20+ years, and accept that kindness shown in these circumstances really is appreciated. sadly though, these people who were and are, very kind to you, and helping you to feel better, are also the people who are responsible for some people, maybe in a similar situation to us, being very upset and let down.
You are 62, a lady of the world, and maybe you expect people should be able to take what the presenters say with a touch of salt, and read between the lines a bit, but a lot of people are not so worldy-wise, or sharp, and being on the television, an incredibly powerful medium, puts the presenters in a position of trust, yet they are not there when these people who trusted them, are let down, like they were for you in your bad time. I can assure you, we all don't watch to pull these channels apart, and in the 'honey monster' comment, no harm or nastiness was meant at all, there are places and forums on the internet where you will hear genuinely sickening remarks about people, from trolls who DO mean harm. I am very very glad you like the bargains you get, and let no-one take that away from you, or Bid Tv, and I genuinely hope you keep getting them, and enjoying the channel. Please remember though, for you Bid Tv is a lovely experience, but I always will remember one New Year, a post from an elderly lady on the Ideal World forum here, whose hole Christmas had been ruined by the channel guaranteeing Christmas delivery; she had saved and bought ALL of her gifts from them and had to face the fact that on Xmas Eve night, nothing had arrived and she was in tears and had to feel like crap and tell her family she had nothing for them, of course they wouldnt mind, but SHE felt so so so bad and it ruined what should have been a special time of year for her. Enjoy your Bid Tv, I sure will with Andy Hodgson and Mikey Mason who genuinely make me laugh more than a comedy show, but please dont leave with the impression we are all nasty trolls being awful for no reason, Have a wonderful Xmas my lovely, peace and happiness :) XX

Blimey Kat, don't hold back will you! Not sure if slagging off people on here is particularly advancing your argument. People are just expressing their opinions on Bid - surely that is what the forum is for. As it seems to wind you up so much, perhaps it is best you take a break from here - or you could try investing in a Worry Angel :wave:

Kat, it is probably best that you leave. Have a nice Christmas :wave:

kat

your arguments are worthless when you start slagging people with a different view to your views

This will be the last time I come on here for a while. This place is too full of hate and anger for me. I think anybody who dedicates their lives to watching a channel they don’t like just to moan about it should maybe stop and take a look at the value of life. Of course you are pretty sad and very lonely. That goes without saying. And I imagine the reason you are all so abusive now is because it is Christmas and I expect you will be spending it alone. But that is no reason to take it out on someone else.

I appreciate we have very different views and are very different people. But I love this channel and I am not nasty enough to be around such a mob.

Please try and have a merry Christmas

God bless you all

Kat xxx

My reaction to these comments...patronising, insulting, grossly offensive & inaccurate and too self righteous for words! What about the poor people who rely on TV shopping to get presents for christmas?? They're going to get a very nasty shock when they realise that it's actually £7.99 PER ITEM aren't they! Oh & actually like the vast majority of people on here I don't give sermons based on my assumptions of people whom I've never seen, nor do I sit glued to Bid. I flick thru & if there's particularly outrageous presenting bahaviour going on sometimes I continue to watch and have a pleasant & amusing bit of banter with other sane, intelligent forum users! How dare this woman say that we're "sad, lonley etc, ****** CHEEK! Sorry but I find that incredibly immature & offensive! She's probably left the forum, amen to that!

In my experience the worst thing you can do with a troll is give it oxygen, and the penny has finally dropped that a troll is most definitely in our midst.

Once ignored they soon move onto their next victim :wave:

Last edited:
Totally get your point Wirral but just don't consuder any of us "victims" this err "katbaker", (very odd "she" didn't just use a nickname or initial for a surname when in reality they could be anyone), I just thought s/he needed to be shown up lol.

Speaking of this person, initially I thought that "she" was likley to be related to a presenter of owner of Bid, especially given the timings of her comments.
Having read the latest from this person in this thread I seriously wonder, (& of course I'm not accusing or alledging here, just wondering), if she is actually one of the presenters?? All that stuff about having MS & writing to the presenters & they visited her, REALLY??! They also seemed to pointout the cheapest items sold & even they weren't great or mainstream desirable in my opinion, that had been on in in recent times in an instant saying they'd bought them. Then comes the utterly disgusting assumptions about us all followed by "god bless" & a line of kisses. Now peeps...there's 1 of their presenters that springs to mind who can story tell like that...Just wondering.....I hope "she's" consulting with her worry angels with regard to "her" words on here.

Totally get your point Wirral but just don't consuder any of us "victims" this err "katbaker", (very odd "she" didn't just use a nickname or initial for a surname when in reality they could be anyone), I just thought s/he needed to be shown up lol.

Speaking of this person, initially I thought that "she" was likley to be related to a presenter of owner of Bid, especially given the timings of her comments.
Having read the latest from this person in this thread I seriously wonder, (& of course I'm not accusing or alledging here, just wondering), if she is actually one of the presenters?? All that stuff about having MS & writing to the presenters & they visited her, REALLY??! They also seemed to pointout the cheapest items sold & even they weren't great or mainstream desirable in my opinion, that had been on in in recent times in an instant saying they'd bought them. Then comes the utterly disgusting assumptions about us all followed by "god bless" & a line of kisses. Now peeps...there's 1 of their presenters that springs to mind who can story tell like that...Just wondering.....I hope "she's" consulting with her worry angels with regard to "her" words on here.

I found it all quite unbelievable.

Literally :giggle:

In my experience the worst thing you can do with a troll is give it oxygen, and the penny has finally dropped that a troll is most definitely in our midst.

Once ignored they soon move onto their next victim :wave:

But I'm still here? :confused:

Well I give Kat Baker the benefit of the doubt and say she's a geniune viewer, and what I might say will probably offend her, though I honestly don't mean to. Housebound, disabled, watches the channels for company? Many of the vulnerabilities that these presentations play upon, and guess what? She spends an awful lot of money with them! Ok, it may be none of my business, maybe Kat you're not getting yourself into debt, (I hope not) but surely you can see how easily it could be done!

If you enjoy watching and buying fine. Shame you feel you must leave, beacause of the "hate" on here. Why not browse the rest of this wonderful forum, it's not all about shopping, you mind find something you like!

actually scrap that, Nikki and Wirrall, I think you could be right! Lots doesn't ring true!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back