When Is QVC Craft Day Not A Craft Day ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bags

Registered Shopper
Yesterday when it was not a Craft Day but only a CARD MAKING DAY !

:confused:

:flower:

I have been crafting with QVC for years, but Craft Day is not worth watching now. No DCWV, no K & Co, and no real attempt to take scrapbooking seriously. I am fed up to the back teeth of Kanban kits, too-they have their place, but oh my god QVC are kicking the ar*e out of it now.
Was Rosemary on yesterday? If she was I missed it

When it's a bore-fest led by Amy Shaw and Craig Rowe (with an occasional sight of Julia - I'm not a crafter- Roberts) thrown in.

When it's a Dawny Day. And as for the giggly show with Chuntley, I texted to complain that I wanted to watch a craft show (so why I hear you ask was I watching QVC) and not two giggling schoolgirls. Needless to say, the text wasn't printed but I gather they were reprimanded for all the stupidity as there was a sort of apology from CH.
How unprofessional.
P xx

I have been crafting with QVC for years, but Craft Day is not worth watching now. No DCWV, no K & Co, and no real attempt to take scrapbooking seriously. I am fed up to the back teeth of Kanban kits, too-they have their place, but oh my god QVC are kicking the ar*e out of it now.
Was Rosemary on yesterday? If she was I missed it

I was out most of yesterday. At one time, I would have been devastated to have missed a Craft Day. When we returned at Tea time, I looked back at the list of products in each hour and decided I wouldn't even have a look if that was the choice on offer....so I didn't! Unthinkable, once upon a time..

I didn't watch yesterday because I don't "do" QVC crafting and I find the whole thing dull and boring. When I did happen to scan past QVC all I could see was card making. Although, to my mind, it doesn't need a crafting day to be like that. All I ever seem to see on crafting shows is cards. Due apologies to those who do it but I don't see how taking a sticker off one piece of paper and shoving on another is considered crafting. I used to craft years ago - proper stuff like knitting and lampshade making etc. That's what I think of as proper crafting. Even IW manage some variety in their crafting products. I still don't see why QVC need a whole day of the same thing, especially squeezed in between two technology TSVs, which is even more boring.

I don't watch any of the craft or beauty showcases, but a full day of anything is too much, it must alienate more shoppers than it attracts. Craft interests me as I do lot of knitting, needlework and sewing (when I have time), but making cards is such a complete and utter waste of time unless it's a really special one off occasion (how often do they come along)...I imagine a lot of the expensive embelishments and card stock end up in land fill after they are given to the recipient, what else could be done with them? Most of my gorgeous Christmas cards are now in the recycling bin as I can't hang onto everything...life is cluttered enough as it is. Next year I'm going to ask people to send me either e-cards or give the price of the card and stamp to their chosen charity.

The ranger hour they had on last week was 100x more interesting and craft-oriented than anything I saw yesterday. I just went to my local craft shop that's having a bit of a clear out and bought a ton of interesting products for a reduced price and managed to support a local source in the process.

I am interested in learning new techniques but as others have said, I don't need to see a demo to learn how to take some sticky tape and stick a topper onto a prefab card. You could tell it wasn't going that well, I think, by the fact that there weren't a lot of sell-outs - too few items at Craft Day Price, too few truly interesting or new things.

I don't watch any of the craft or beauty showcases, but a full day of anything is too much, it must alienate more shoppers than it attracts. Craft interests me as I do lot of knitting, needlework and sewing (when I have time), but making cards is such a complete and utter waste of time unless it's a really special one off occasion (how often do they come along)...I imagine a lot of the expensive embelishments and card stock end up in land fill after they are given to the recipient, what else could be done with them? Most of my gorgeous Christmas cards are now in the recycling bin as I can't hang onto everything...life is cluttered enough as it is. Next year I'm going to ask people to send me either e-cards or give the price of the card and stamp to their chosen charity.

Heartily agree with all thats said here. Craft encompasses more than card making.

I too got on the card making bandwagon a few years ago BUT so did everyone else. So much so, that at craft fairs there are so many home made card stalls that its hard to unload the stuff now. The real money is flogging the supplies to make them. I have hundreds of pounds worth of "stuff" stored away that will probably never see the light of day !

Anyway, what about oil and water colour painting ? or knitting, or embroidery, - ANYTHING other than card making zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'd love to see some cross-stitch - the Slice Elite cuts fabric, too, so why not include some simple patchworking elements in the demos? The demos were very poor anyway, I've wanted a Slice for ages (and just bought one, but not from Le Q) but if I'd only seen the demos yesterday I never would've.

Last Craft Day they at least had a sewing machine in, but I don't think they even bothered selling related products.

I didn't watch yesterday because I don't "do" QVC crafting and I find the whole thing dull and boring. When I did happen to scan past QVC all I could see was card making. Although, to my mind, it doesn't need a crafting day to be like that. All I ever seem to see on crafting shows is cards. Due apologies to those who do it but I don't see how taking a sticker off one piece of paper and shoving on another is considered crafting. I used to craft years ago - proper stuff like knitting and lampshade making etc. That's what I think of as proper crafting. Even IW manage some variety in their crafting products. I still don't see why QVC need a whole day of the same thing, especially squeezed in between two technology TSVs, which is even more boring.

I make cards and sell them. I also scrapbook, knit, crochet, tat, and make collages. I don't believe that one type of crafting is more "proper" than another. Some of my cards take a full day to make and are coveted by my regular customers. I call the taking a sticker off one piece of paper and sticking it on another,' assembling' as opposed to 'creating.'
However, I started more than 30 years ago by folding some stiff card and sticking on some stars and glitter and I have progressed from there. We all have to start somewhere. the first garment I ever crocheted wouldn't pass muster now and the pattern was incredibly easy.
I agree with you that the Craft Days now are a washout with far too much emphasis on cards and easy assembly but a hobby which gives so much pleasure to people, many of them housebound or with fingers too rheumaticky to knit, has got to be a good thing.

I'd love to see some cross-stitch - the Slice Elite cuts fabric, too, so why not include some simple patchworking elements in the demos? The demos were very poor anyway, I've wanted a Slice for ages (and just bought one, but not from Le Q) but if I'd only seen the demos yesterday I never would've.

Last Craft Day they at least had a sewing machine in, but I don't think they even bothered selling related products.

Me too. There's such scope for them with their USA buying power. They could sell a range of HAED charts, sets of embroidery threads, frames/hoops, daylight lamps, as well as unusual US and European kits which Hobbycraft don't sell. Then they could put together a tool kit - scissors, needles, thread wax, storage boxes, etc etc. And what about cross stitch greetings card kits for Christmas, birthdays, weddings. Perhaps you and I should offer to advise their craft buyer.

Other crafts - patchwork/quilting, beading, knitting/crochet, silk painting, glass painting. I like the Donna Dewberry paint techniques.

Sorry to go on - I like many crafts and their focus on card-making drives me nuts.

QVC used to sell good alternative craft kits, in days gone by, then the card making fad took over. Just before christmas I wanted to start a crafting project so went to the website and there was one or two things but nothing interesting. I ended up buying a great card kit but it's quite a technical one, as in tea bag folding, iris folding, decoupage and others, it's a lot more challenging, I do wish there was more though. I went to my local crafting shop to get some different tea bag folding papers and she looked at me like I was a looney saying, people don't do that any more and when they do they print out the papers (I don't use my printer on comp, so what about people like me?). Then she's missing out, like QVC - that's why this shop had so much stuff in the sale, no one want's just card making things as much any more. This thread (love the pun) proves that point even more. More different craft choices would be great.

I watch some of the craft shows and don't subscribe to the notion that card-making isn't creative or 'crafty'. Card-making can be extremely creative and a much loved hobby for many people like myself. I think people imagine it's easy just sticking bits of paper together but there's much more to it than that and the results can be really beautiful. There are numerous techniques that can be used, so QVC should explore these like spirelli, tea bag folding, iris folding, quilling etc instead of focusing on decoupage, pre-made toppers and stamping.

There needs to be a massive shakeup on QVC in general and the craft department is no exception. I watched an hour of supposedly 'New Trends in Craft' yesterday but all it was was a show devoted to birds and butterflies. Agreed, there needs to be more variation and new ideas. Bibby needs to go, she's held the reigns for far too long and I can't stand her, she domineers the whole thing. I saw her giggling away with Chuntley yesterday and found it extremely unprofessional! Why not have shows about stitching, knitting, painting etc instead of papercrafts???

I don't agree either that sending cards is a pointless exercise - what a miserable attitude! A greeting should be appreciated for the occasion it is given and is a warm gesture to those who perhaps don't have a lot of social interaction with people!

Me too. There's such scope for them with their USA buying power. They could sell a range of HAED charts, sets of embroidery threads, frames/hoops, daylight lamps, as well as unusual US and European kits which Hobbycraft don't sell. Then they could put together a tool kit - scissors, needles, thread wax, storage boxes, etc etc. And what about cross stitch greetings card kits for Christmas, birthdays, weddings. Perhaps you and I should offer to advise their craft buyer.

Other crafts - patchwork/quilting, beading, knitting/crochet, silk painting, glass painting. I like the Donna Dewberry paint techniques.

Sorry to go on - I like many crafts and their focus on card-making drives me nuts.

I agree with everything you say, lets see real craft items on QVC other than cards.

I remember when craft days were truly "craft days". Cross stitching (I have a cupboard full of original Designer Stitches kits :clapping:) felt crafting with Carol whatshername, glass painting, embroidery sewing machines (that's when I bought my first embroidery machine and went on from there), and lots more. It seems to me that Dawn & Co have completely taken over crafting on QVC and it's not a good thing to put all your eggs in one basket. I wouldn't mind if Dawn's crafting expertise spanned a whole spectrum of papercrafting but it doesn't. It seems to revolve around Kanban and occasionally a few other choice friends.

Just my opinion, but I've spent loads more on Ideal World lately than I have on QVC and, for me, that says a lot

Pauline x

I can only assume that other "areas" of craft such as glass painting, cross stitch ,sewing, knitting etc do not sell. Otherwise I'm sure they would be on. The cardmaking obviously does.
I came to cardmaking myself, because of QVC and Dawn Bibby about 6 years ago. I didn't even know people made their own cards until then. For me it gave and still does give me inspiration.
I lost my mojo in for crafting several months ago, but just watching a recent "Ranger" craft show has given it me back, so for that I am grateful.
Rubber Stamping which was a large part of "craft day" is NOT just for cardmaking it can be used in home decor and other projects.
As for the giggling, live and let live I say.........I just joined in (and I felt better for it!!!)
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Latest posts

Back